16 replies to this topic

#1 Nailhead

Nailhead

basset hound

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 03:49 PM

Desperately seeking an Alaskan 8' cabover in good shape (no rot) within a day's drive of Longmont, CO.   My purchase of an 8' NCO was not well thought out, and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna need the space provided by that cabover bunk.  I'd even include that camper in a trade, if someone is downsizing for some reason.

Thanks for looking.

#2 Nailhead

Nailhead

basset hound

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 02:47 PM

Back to the top, still looking.

#3 Nailhead

Nailhead

basset hound

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 02:22 PM

Missed one in Reno because of the distance, but hope springs eternal. 

TTT.

#4 PackRat

PackRat

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationNovato, CA

Posted 06 December 2018 - 07:12 PM

Having had an 8 ft NCO, the sleeping arrangement for me (6'4") and the wife in that 48" wide front dinette berth just wasn't comfortable. The '76 C/O I now have gives us two large bunks and the wife has plenty of space in the upper for all the stuff that women "need" that won't fit elsewhere.

The one in Reno on the red Dodge has been for sale for several years.

Avoid that one...something is really fishy with it...

After looking for an 8 ft. CO for a year or so, I found one here in the Bay Area. You should check craigslist for Los Angeles, San Francisco and Seattle and expand the searches in each area. I know the cost of fuel makes coming west this far a bummer, but that's where you will find the most of them anyway...besides, you'll have an opportunity to at least sleep in it and get a feel for what you need to work on when you get home....they do usually need Pirelli seals and sealants and perhaps O-rings changed out as a matter of general maintenance from time to time.

Good Luck and keep watching this forum as we Alaskan owners will try to post links to them when they pop up. Read up on loading and securing to your particular vehicle and read the posted "1969" manual for a general idea of the wiring/lighting and plumbing systems.

1988 Ford F-250 HD Lariat 4x4 8 Ft. bed

1976 Alaskan 8 Ft. CO camper

#5 wagoneer

wagoneer

• Members
  • 173 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 09 December 2018 - 11:22 PM

I saw the one on Craigslist, too late for you perhaps. I will keep an open eye.

1995 Dodge Ram diesel 1976 CO 8 Ft. Alaskan Camper

#6 Nailhead

Nailhead

basset hound

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 02:43 PM

Having had an 8 ft NCO, the sleeping arrangement for me (6'4") and the wife in that 48" wide front dinette berth just wasn't comfortable. The '76 C/O I now have gives us two large bunks and the wife has plenty of space in the upper for all the stuff that women "need" that won't fit elsewhere.

The one in Reno on the red Dodge has been for sale for several years.

Avoid that one...something is really fishy with it...

After looking for an 8 ft. CO for a year or so, I found one here in the Bay Area. You should check craigslist for Los Angeles, San Francisco and Seattle and expand the searches in each area. I know the cost of fuel makes coming west this far a bummer, but that's where you will find the most of them anyway...besides, you'll have an opportunity to at least sleep in it and get a feel for what you need to work on when you get home....they do usually need Pirelli seals and sealants and perhaps O-rings changed out as a matter of general maintenance from time to time.

Good Luck and keep watching this forum as we Alaskan owners will try to post links to them when they pop up. Read up on loading and securing to your particular vehicle and read the posted "1969" manual for a general idea of the wiring/lighting and plumbing systems.

Thank you for the input, especially confirmation of the "stuff" hunch that motivated this search initially.  My girlfriend likes to travel well-equipped.

If that Reno CO has been for sale for years, I can see why: it's back on CL for more money than previously, which is pretty fishy economic theory at the very least.  Thank you for the tip-- I'll pass on it.

Thanks to the NCO I already have, I feel I'm pretty well informed on Alaskan camper maintenance/repair needs & procedures (mine needs o-rings & Pirelli seals, among other things).  The mating up to a '72 International 1310 4x4 dually will probably be winging it, however.

I'll expand my search to the areas you mentioned & reevaluate my distance requirements.  

Thank you again! 

#7 Nailhead

Nailhead

basset hound

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 02:43 PM

I saw the one on Craigslist, too late for you perhaps. I will keep an open eye.

Excellent-- thank you!

#8 Nailhead

Nailhead

basset hound

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 05:23 PM

Still looking. Thanx.

#9 Nailhead

Nailhead

basset hound

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 07:37 PM

Found one in Portland, OR. Going to pick it up in a couple weeks, so don’t need a camper now but I sure could use a three-day run of good weather along I-80 through Wyoming, if anyone’s got any pull with such things...

#10 EDR

EDR

• Members
  • 177 posts
  • LocationSE WA

Posted 06 February 2019 - 08:58 PM

Misread your earlier post today and sent you a PM.
I guess timing is everything.
Good luck on your road trip.

Edited by EDR, 06 February 2019 - 09:26 PM.

2007 FWC Hawk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users