247 replies to this topic

#171 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,950 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 12 June 2019 - 03:44 AM

some very good points. I am for sure over extending my brain on this project. Even still, cost to build has surpassed what I had in  mind the day I bought, so it is a constant battle in my head. Tempting to throw a few 2x4's up there and call it good, but we know that wont sit well. 

Not elegant, but it works.  :rolleyes:

#172 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 12 June 2019 - 03:54 AM

If you would stain and seal the lumber, I’d be okay with it.
🤥
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#173 oldhotrod

oldhotrod

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

Posted 12 June 2019 - 04:13 AM

So you have one for a pattern, and the new ones are made of fiberglass...perhaps there is shower wall panels that could be cut down that would work...maybe I'm underthinking these engineering marvels

#174 Ourayphotography

Ourayphotography

• Members
  • 146 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 12 June 2019 - 03:11 PM

So you have one for a pattern, and the new ones are made of fiberglass...perhaps there is shower wall panels that could be cut down that would work...maybe I'm underthinking these engineering marvels

I am thinking recycled alum or HDPE sheets. I am guessing FWC uses HDPE. 

#175 shellback

shellback

• Members
  • 336 posts
  • LocationWagontown,PA

Posted 22 June 2019 - 11:56 PM

I rebuilt my 79Grandby a couple years ago. I took it down to the aluminum skeleton and threw everything away except the roof, windows and door. Started the rebuild with the floorpack, once the frame was back on the floorpack, I'd sit there and dream and to figure out how I wanted the project to look once done. There were many days when I wish I never started the project, but I soldiered on and finally finished it. The only thing I didn't do myself was the aluminum welding. I probably have close to 3k in it, but it's built out how I want it. I sided mine with smooth painted .032 aluminum and fastened with VHB tape everywhere windows, trim and the door fasteners weren't there to hold. The lift panels I made from aluminum composite material. Reflecting on that now, I might have liked the conduit style lift better. With those you can have windows fore and aft. Plus you wouldn't be trapping moisture behind the solid lift panels. I never sewed before, but picked up a commercial machine cheap and made my fabric sides and recovered all the cushions. I was a heavy equipment operator by trade, and was never known for fine craftsmanship. I used to kid people that I did my trim work with a chainsaw and a sledge. That wasn't much of an exaggeration! I'd have to believe that you could never recoup your investment so far without finishing it, or at least getting it closed in a weather proof like a shell. I say soldier on!

#176 a8ksh4

a8ksh4

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 23 June 2019 - 12:04 AM

If you ever find yourself in northern California for a weekend, I'll help you stitch up the canvas. :D

#177 PokyBro

PokyBro

• Members
  • 467 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, Nevada

Posted 23 June 2019 - 01:40 AM

Ouray,

I read your post this morning and spent awhile today thinking how I might answer your petition. I even took time to read over my build thread for awhile.

What I found is that my drive to rebuild and finish my camper was mostly steadfast. Mine took a long time to do, because I wasn't able to stay on the project non-stop, due to the cold Colorado winters, and not having a big heated shed to work in.

So I think you are in a similar situation, with a fair bit of time already invested, but looking ahead at all that remains to be done.

I took a slightly different path than you have with only stripping the old camper down and rebuilding that, vs your having built a new flat bed for you truck first. Certainly time and money spent on that. and now on top of that, refocusing back on the camper.

I found that once I got the frame and the floor pack done, progress seemed to pick up at a faster rate, with some portions seeming to to move the project along quickly. For example, insulation, inside paneling, and exterior siding. All of these make you feel like real progress is happening, and the camper continues to take shape as you have imagined. Each part was like a short term goal. Just figure out how you are going to go about that part of the rebuild, and execute it, and check it off the list. And much of the time it is learn as you go.

The time I got the most discouraged was in building the lift panels, when the first set didn't work out and I had to start over. The rest of it , though rarely ever perfect, still met with my satisfaction. The roof as one project, the top (painting), and bottom (insulation, wiring, and headliner) was just kind of one project with numerous parts. The sideliner was another singular project, that though it took time, turned out well with taking time to get it right the first time, and allowing for some imperfections.

SO, to answer your question, should you continue? I'm afraid you're really the only one that can answer that. I understand the desire to just buy a shell, and do the inside build as you're able, while still being able to enjoy the camper now. I will say, that the inside build is much easier and seemed quicker to accomplish. Obviously, the budget partially dictates that. But the time frame you mentioned is also a factor. It's hard to predict how long it will take for you to finish your current project. And cost! I lost track of how much I spent on mine, but probably $4,000 - $4,500, keeping in mind that accounts for the inside build with furnace, stovetop, DC compressor fridge, and fantastic fans, along with the frame welding, exterior siding and all the tubular aluminum stock I added to the frame and roof. Mine would be toward the upper end of new camper cost, if buying one from the factory with how mine is equipped.

Sorry for the long answer, but I wanted to give you some perspective. I am completely satisfied I stuck with my project. It is very rewarding to reflect on my build, considering all it took to accomplish. It's fun to show it to others and explain the process, and even more, it's awesome to now go and use and enjoy the finished results, and start to build memories of adventure in the camper. So good luck with your decision, either choice is good, and will ultimately bring you satisfaction.

Poky

1999 F250 crew cab SRW, 7.3 Powerstroke TD

1981 Grandby shortened to a Hawk

Build thread / https://www.wanderth...by-into-a-hawk/

#178 shellback

shellback

• Members
  • 336 posts
  • LocationWagontown,PA

Posted 23 June 2019 - 11:39 AM

Pokey, I can't thank you enough! Your thread was my inspiration. Without it, I'd probably would still be looking at a half built project. 

Ouray, I think Pokey's comment about the one step at a time for goals is the best advise. Don't think of a finished camper, just envision your next goal, say insulation and interior paneling.  Get that done, and you will think, "this is really getting to look like something!" 

#179 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 23 June 2019 - 02:02 PM

Good morning Ourayphotgraphy
I saw your post yesterday. Personally have not resurrected a popup camper. However had my share of projects, questioned my judgment on some. Pokybro's post was excellent. I was drawn to paragraphs 5,6. What ever path you choose will be the right one for you. I suspect that cost was not the only reason this project ever got off the ground. So sending positive thoughts your way to help out.

Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#180 Ourayphotography

Ourayphotography

• Members
  • 146 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 23 June 2019 - 07:14 PM

If you ever find yourself in northern California for a weekend, I'll help you stitch up the canvas. :D

Did you build your own canvas? After reading everyone's canvas rebuilds, I think you all had no choice but to become expert!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: FWCFour wheel camper, flatbed, grandby, 2005 toyota, 2005 tundra, 2005 tundra trd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users