• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 MountainSufi

MountainSufi

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 10:00 PM

Howdy from Jackson Hole!

Just bought a Thetford Marine Porta Potti 260 for my 2017 Fleet Side Dinette. It comes with some plastic flanges that held on by screws that are called a "Hold-down Kit".

Is this a permanent hold-down, or something that works with the Manual/Pour Out model? Will it hold the Potti in place in it's little cubby hole?

How do you guys secure your Potti in it's little side space? Pictures appreciated.

Thankx

Edited by MountainSufi, 01 November 2018 - 10:01 PM.

Jackson Hole, Wyoming
2012 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport Long Bed
2017 Fleet FWC, Side Dinette (Purchased from Rocky Mt. FWC)

"We're all in this together"--The Red Green Show

#2 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 01 November 2018 - 10:09 PM

Mine stays in its cubby just fine. No additional hold downs needed.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#3 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 02 November 2018 - 12:06 AM

We have the same size model in our side couch Granby. I'm not familiar with the cubby you mentioned. Our PP sits "out" with a cupboard door behind and the camper door one side, end of couch other side. Sort of a cubby I guess. Anyway it is only secured from the rear by a 1' webbing strap, closed by a side release buckle. ..

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.strapworks.com%2Fv%

and sometimes a bit of foam jammed at the sides to reduce movement.

But nothing to hold it "down" and has never been a problem over whoop de doos etc

#4 MountainSufi

MountainSufi

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 05:14 PM

Thankx Mateys!

I'll leave 'er loose unless there's a problem, and rig up webbing if there is.

Jackson Hole, Wyoming
2012 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport Long Bed
2017 Fleet FWC, Side Dinette (Purchased from Rocky Mt. FWC)

"We're all in this together"--The Red Green Show

#5 trikebubble

trikebubble

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 06:55 PM

I modified the lower cabinet to accept our Thetford Curve. I made and installed a guide with tie downs to keep it in place. It slides in and out easily to be used or stowed. We've done some serious off-roading and it always stays in place. 20181003_184415.jpeg

#6 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 02 November 2018 - 07:39 PM

Howdy from Jackson Hole!

Just bought a Thetford Marine Porta Potti 260 for my 2017 Fleet Side Dinette. It comes with some plastic flanges that held on by screws that are called a "Hold-down Kit".

Is this a permanent hold-down, or something that works with the Manual/Pour Out model? Will it hold the Potti in place in it's little cubby hole?

How do you guys secure your Potti in it's little side space? Pictures appreciated.

Thankx

Often, hold-down kits are sold with MSD (Marine Sanitation Device) versions of porta-potties.  This version is intended to change a toilet from a dump-out to a pump-out version.

We can see this in the exploded-parts diagram that the difference between models is the pump-out fitting  versus the spout.... (click to enlarge) 

Thetford260ExplodedPartsDiagram.jpgThetford260PartsList.jpg

I bought an MSD version of a 5-gallon Thetford model in 1986 for my trailerable sailboat as I wanted to sail in Ontario, where provincial law prohibits portable toilets on their waters.   The hold-down and pump-out kits allowed the otherwise portable toilet to be considered a non-portable one (with addition of a line to allow it to be pumped out at a marine pump-out facility).  

The problem with a pump-out-only toilet in a trailerable sailboat is you often need a dump-out version. The law is there to prevent me from dumping the toilet overboard and I understand that... but where is my pump-out facility when I'm using the trailered sailboat as a camper?  Or when I put the boat back on its trailer without first diverting to a pump-out facility?  Or what if I want to use that potti in my campervan?

So I realized it's still possible to dump it out at a dump station or toilet.... just remove the pump-out fitting and dump away (carefully!).  I did that for years.  However, it's far from ideal.  I've found It's much easier and cleaner to dump with a spout than without one.  In a household toilet, for example, you can minimize splashing by putting the spout end down near the water.  And at a dump station, you can get that spout down into the pipe.

Also-- We find the 5-gallon models more optimal than the 2-1/2 gallon ones for our wandering.  Longer range, fewer searches for acceptable places to dump, fewer cleanups, more traditional seat height.  But of course it has to fit its storage area.

Edited by Old Crow, 02 November 2018 - 09:38 PM.

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#7 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 03 November 2018 - 12:08 AM

Thankx Mateys!

I'll leave 'er loose unless there's a problem, and rig up webbing if there is.

As I said I not familiar with the cubby hole but if it's like the one Mr. trikebubble posted I think I'd use some type of restraint.

trying an attachment to show mine ...

IMG_1A.jpg

IMG_1B.jpg

O.C., makes sense, the hold downs would convert 'portable' to permanent or fixed.

#8 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 04 November 2018 - 11:54 PM

I should have mentioned, mine does sit on a piece of indoor outdoor carpet and I do wedge toilet paper and "stuff" in the leftover space.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#9 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,076 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 07 November 2018 - 01:02 AM

I have same model.. works great...stays put while camper is moving. Simply snap and the unit comes out for emptying. No big deal.

I made a cover wood top and then a cushion that is level with side dinette seat . Just like on a boat ... trim! 

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#10 adamxcl

adamxcl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationSanta Fe/Albuquerque Area, NM

Posted 19 November 2018 - 02:39 AM

It would only slide out on rough rocking roads but I put a strip of Velcro down and it hasn’t moved since.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users