• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#31 PackRat

PackRat

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationNovato, CA

Posted 24 March 2019 - 12:19 AM

Alaskans are VERY particular about leveling your rig before attempting to raise the top. The DESIGN is for level ground and owners of them carry a level or a round "dot" level and try to get the fore and aft level and the side to side level before attempting to raise the top. This may require some additional means of raising two wheels at the rear and perhaps one at the front on really slanted terrain.

I made my leveling blocks out of scrap. Digging in what may be very HARD or rocky ground ain't my idea of what to do after driving all day to get your rig level enough to raise the top!

I went with the K.I.S.S approach.

1988 Ford F-250 HD Lariat 4x4 8 Ft. bed

1976 Alaskan 8 Ft. CO camper

#32 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 24 March 2019 - 05:22 AM

Alaskans are VERY particular about leveling your rig before attempting to raise the top. The DESIGN is for level ground and owners of them carry a level or a round "dot" level and try to get the fore and aft level and the side to side level before attempting to raise the top.

Well that bites. I long suspected as much but always received vague, semi-assurances.

Thanks for the heads up.

#33 PackRat

PackRat

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationNovato, CA

Posted 25 March 2019 - 11:40 PM

Well, it does give you a good chance of not having the blood run to your head when you lay down because your rig is cock-eyed.

1988 Ford F-250 HD Lariat 4x4 8 Ft. bed

1976 Alaskan 8 Ft. CO camper

#34 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 26 March 2019 - 03:35 AM

LOL, yeah I hate getting up with that cock-eyed feeling . One reason I gave up drinking.

Actually I do try to park so I can sleep head higher but that's on account of cold feet and ... you know ... the acid reflex thing.

I guess air bags might be a help with an AK. I'm not giving up yet, they're still on my short list ^_^

#35 patrickkidd

patrickkidd

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 05:55 PM

I use rocks, and climb up on them in four-low to have more control. It gets easy after practice.

#36 DavidinPhx

DavidinPhx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 28 February 2021 - 05:49 PM

Has anyone used the curved leveling ramps that have cropped up all over Amazon?  Gimmick or innovation?  

Just one example:

https://smile.amazon...&ref_=pd_gw_unk

#37 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,283 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 28 February 2021 - 08:30 PM

I use full 2x8x12 hardwood,and some smaller 2x6 redwood.

The large blocks store well outside the camper and smaller ones inside.

Out of the way and easy to get to.

Frank

IMG_5170-1.jpeg

IMG_5173.jpeg

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#38 michelle_east_county

michelle_east_county

Advanced Member

• Registered (Tapatalk)
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 28 February 2021 - 09:02 PM

On a '97 Dodge Roadtrek 170 with a Domestic absorption refer that, of course, had to be level, we tried plastic interlocking blocks and they had warning about use on uneven surfaces so, sure enough, they cracked. Typical Douglas fir 2x8s split. Redwood 2x8s were softer and did not split. 'still hard to drive or back up the angle-cut stack without slippage and I was wary of anything screwed or nailed in case of a split leaving either in a spot to puncture a tire, and there wasn't storage space for a long wooden screwed or glued wood block pyramid or wedge, anyway.

The need for leveling for the absorption refer and little room for additional batteries to handle a compressor refer, along with limited ground clearance and exposed freshwater lines and tanks were some of the reasons for switching to a truck camper with a compressor refer (Hallmark build still pending).

I like Towboater's idea mentioned above of the cut up horse mat which solved slippage problems when stacked.

Edited by michelle_east_county, 28 February 2021 - 09:09 PM.

#39 2Z Bundok

2Z Bundok

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 24 March 2021 - 09:05 PM

We don't drop jacks, DOES Anybody? Does slide out make a difference?

3- 2x8 beveled blocks screwed together and sealed grain with duct mastic to make ramp (2 each). I found a level spot in cab (equal to level floor in camper) to place torpedo level. True 1.5" is first step and we often park on the ramped portion of the other two pieces if we need more height. Gets us close enough for the night. Like others we prefer the back lower (short step) and sleeping heads slightly elevated. Never problem with tire traction. Love the idea of digging in and will try in sandy ground this weekend!
2Z Bundok

Edited by 2Z Bundok, 01 April 2021 - 02:47 AM.

2Z Bundok

Truck Camper...The box from which we think outside.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users