• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 ottorogers

ottorogers

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • LocationSaskatoon, SK Canada

Posted 04 November 2018 - 07:07 PM

Many of us use the freecamping APP, it used to work perfectly, I loved it, but now when I try to use it on my IPHONE it says Google maps can not load, no idea why it worked perfectly in the past and does not work now. I uninstalled the APP and reinstalled the APP, nothing works, works perfectly on my PC (like it always did), anybody have issues with this (very useful) APP??

Edited by ottorogers, 04 November 2018 - 11:02 PM.

#2 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 04 November 2018 - 07:46 PM

Many of us use freecampsites.net, it used to work perfectly, I loved it, but now when I try to use it on my IPHONE it says Google maps can not load, no idea why it worked perfectly in the past and does not work now. I uninstalled the APP and reinstalled the APP, nothing works, works perfectly on my PC (like it always did), anybody have issues with this (very useful) APP??

Just checked my Android and that app had a 2.7 rating which isn't very good. Allstays and Dyrt have never let us down.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#3 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 04 November 2018 - 08:28 PM

Many of us use freecampsites.net, it used to work perfectly, I loved it, but now when I try to use it on my IPHONE it says Google maps can not load, no idea why it worked perfectly in the past and does not work now. I uninstalled the APP and reinstalled the APP, nothing works, works perfectly on my PC (like it always did), anybody have issues with this (very useful) APP??

Just checked on my iPad.  It's working fine for me.  I'm on iOS 11.4 and using Chrome for a browser to go to the web site.

I do notice, though, that the bottom of the map says the maps are OpenStreetMap ones, not Google ones so it doesn't make sense to me that you'd be getting a message about Google Maps at all.

Edited by Old Crow, 04 November 2018 - 09:06 PM.

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#4 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 04 November 2018 - 09:42 PM

works fine on my iPhone 8 and safari

#5 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 04 November 2018 - 10:28 PM

OK, after looking around some more...  I see there's an Android app called Free Campsites which appears to be developed by the same freecampsites.net folks as the web site.  But on the iOS app store I don't see Free Campsites.  But I do see Free Camping developed by Victor Wickstrom.   And I see the review dated 10/17/18 says there's an error loading Google maps.    That may be a coincidence but I thought I'd mention it as that could explain why there's a Google Maps message when it appears freecampsites.net doesn't use Google maps. 

If it turns out there IS a freecampsites.net-developed app on the iOS App Store and I just missed it, well,....

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#6 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 05 November 2018 - 12:42 AM

yeah, I looked for the app on my iPhone and can't find it there either. .... so, nevermind... ;-)

#7 carld

carld

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • LocationDecatur Texas

Posted 05 November 2018 - 02:01 AM

Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got til its gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot

2002 Tundra AC 4x4 with 2015 Ocelot

2006 Tundra AC 4x4 with 2018 78" Ocelot

2011 Tundra AC 4x4 with 2010 78" Ocelot

#8 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,295 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 05 November 2018 - 07:07 AM

On our Alaska trip in 2016 I used the camping App CampScout.

Seemed to work well and had useful info.

It has photos of a lot of the campgrounds,useful in USA/Canada.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#9 carld

carld

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • LocationDecatur Texas

Posted 05 November 2018 - 02:20 PM

Just Kidding I really like the app and have used it.  It looks like there are more and more camp sites as popularity of the app grows.  Here are some intersting places I found on the app.

Near Ukiak CA. Steep road to top of mountain, stayed on friday, staging area for OHV, they all went home by 7 or 8 and had the place by myself.

Red Mountain CG

rating_on.gifrating_on.gifrating_half.gifrating_off.gif 
Get Directions

Near Billings MT. A group of mountain bikers camped down the road seemed like a perminant summer camp.

• Acton Recreation Area

Here is a place I added near Magdalena NM

• VLA

Edited by carld, 05 November 2018 - 02:26 PM.

2002 Tundra AC 4x4 with 2015 Ocelot

2006 Tundra AC 4x4 with 2018 78" Ocelot

2011 Tundra AC 4x4 with 2010 78" Ocelot

#10 ottorogers

ottorogers

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • LocationSaskatoon, SK Canada

Posted 05 November 2018 - 02:31 PM

I paid for the "allstays" app, after downloading it, and trying it, there are other apps for free that are exactly the same, I feel like I got ripped off. So many apps these days, it's confusing. Allstays does not show a lot of free spots in areas where other apps do show forest service and BLM, allstays does not show, I went through all the settings, so far none of my 3 apps work 100%, I wish one app worked excellent and I could dump the other ones but for me, I need to check all the apps to see what the other app missed, this is time consuming and frustrating, I am sure many of you have had the same issues, one app is better in one area and another app is better in another area

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users