#1 Thevulture

Thevulture

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 05 November 2018 - 11:42 PM

We purchased our Eagle used off Craigslist in March of '18, it's a '16 model and is practically brand new (I think the previous owner used it about 10 times). The previous owner had it built from FWC with the side dinette (we were unsure if we would like it at the time, but we really love it and it makes for comfortable living space), he also had it built out with a propane box (no heater) and roof tracks. We wanted a shell model because of the flexibility of adding our own stuff and keeping it simple and functional, but we were looking for any Eagles, as they are so hard to find. This ended up being a great deal and we had to jump on it.

49875995238_b6be506c5c_c.jpg

-First day after picking it up in Prescott.

We were using my old chuckbox for the first few months, while I tried to figure out exactly how it would work out and where stuff would go. The chuck box is great, but it weighs about 60lbs. loaded and I was getting tired of lifting it.
49876841072_e13a3e9751_c.jpg

49876841097_0d28b0180c_c.jpg

-Unmodified interior 

The first thing I added was a top loading Engel fridge and it’s been great. If I were to only do one add on, it would be the fridge. Second, I bought some used Yakima Towers off Craigslist and went to the metal supply and bought some 6061 aluminum tubing and sprayed it with Plastidip ($20 instead of $100 from Yakima). I installed my Thule roof box and this has been great storage for camp chairs, wood, and the camp table. It's heavier than I thought it would be and will eventually upgrade the struts to 50lb.
49876532236_5aa282333d_c.jpg

-Fridge (notice how I made a cut so I could still access the storage and fuses via the hinged door)

49876532291_a2da728b2b_c.jpg

-After installing roof box, near Great Basin NP in Nevada. 

After using and learning the camper through the spring and early summer I decided to do a simple cabinet and install a Propex heater. I removed the carpet and hinged door and covered it with plywood and created a removable cover to access the fuse block and small tool storage. From there I removed the siding and mapped out where all the aluminum studs are, drew it out and then placed tape on the siding to make mounting the cabinets easier.
49875995288_77d6afd4db_c.jpg

-Stud "blueprint" and tape markings.

I made the cabinets and finished them outside (to keep the dust out) and assembled them inside the camper. I also redid the wood for the propane box so it would all match and I may redo all the wood inside sometime. I used 1/2" Baltic Birch for the the cabinets and 3/4" for the countertop. If I were to do it again, I would use 3/4" for everything except the cabinet doors. I finished it with a water based stain and 6 coats of water based poly. I used slam latched similar to what FWC uses, that I found on Amazon.
49875995358_76529c1284_c.jpg

-Guides for router to make the face of the cabinet.

49875995373_66141e7875_c.jpg

-Checking fit before installing doors and making holes for the heater vents. (Notice the access door to get to the fuses and storage. The black cover on the propane box allows for quick and easy access to propane line and power for the heater. The CO alarm is mounted there now and the thermostat will be mounted there too. It's pretty low to the ground and hopefully it's a good spot for the thermostat.)

49876532361_1cd15a4375_c.jpg

-Finished, 10pm before the 3 week trip!

I don't have much experience building and this was the biggest project I've done. It took me longer than expected and I had a lot of mistakes, recuts, mis-measurements, and a few curse words, but I think it came out very nice and I'm quite proud of it. We used the camper in for three weeks this summer and it was great to not lift the chuck box up and down everyday.
I thought about installing a sink and stove, but we don’t really like to cook inside the camper, but can fire up the Coleman white gas stove and make coffee on cold mornings (I open a turnbuckle door and crank the roof fan to get the air moving). I have two 7 gallon jugs that give us about 2-2.5 days worth of water for cooking and cleaning.
My plan for the heater is to mount inside the cabinet and vent out. I bought the Propex HS2211 model specifically because it can be mounted on it’s side. I will use this boat through hull vent out to route the exhaust and intake from the back of the camper. I plan on doing the heater install this month and will post updates.
49876532311_bb3cbb9207_c.jpg

49876532246_f53d7f920f_c.jpg

49875995338_a2da728b2b.jpg

-Thru Hull Fitting

Edited by Thevulture, 10 May 2020 - 03:06 AM.

#2 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,251 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 05 November 2018 - 11:56 PM

Nice to see your work and ideas! Thanks for sharing and looking forward to more! :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#3 Thevulture

Thevulture

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 06 November 2018 - 12:11 AM

Thanks ski3pin, I've enjoyed reading your trip reports and build writeup. I grew up in Tahoe City and it's nice to see those places in your trips.

#4 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 06 November 2018 - 12:24 AM

Nice find, and interior work there Thevulture. We have the same Engle fridge and base, fridge popped out a couple time so I have two straps pulling the fridge into the base. No more problems for us. Not saying yours will experience the same problem. Probably one strap would be ok. Just a heads up, and we were on some rough roads in Death Valley. Looking forward to the next mods

Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#5 Thevulture

Thevulture

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 06 November 2018 - 12:54 AM

Thanks Russ, we haven't had that happen yet, but I may look into it before I do any Baja or Death Valley trips. 

#6 PokyBro

PokyBro

• Members
  • 467 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, Nevada

Posted 06 November 2018 - 12:55 AM

Hi TV,

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for sharing the start of your Eagle build out. I really like what you’ve done so far, and compliment you on your efforts. The cool thing about adding things to your camper is learning as you go. Most of the time you are the only one aware of mistakes. Shoot, I bet there are mistakes on factory made campers all the time. Anyhow good luck, and looking forward to more of the additions you make.

Poky

1999 F250 crew cab SRW, 7.3 Powerstroke TD

1981 Grandby shortened to a Hawk

Build thread / https://www.wanderth...by-into-a-hawk/

#7 Thevulture

Thevulture

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 06 November 2018 - 06:35 AM

Thanks Poky!

#8 Taku

Taku

Buffalo Rockface

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 01:11 PM

Looks really nice. i did a similar cabinet build, used 3/4" for the cabinets but realize now should have gone thinner for the cabinet faces, but the red oak I used looks good. The Propex furnace should be great, that is what we put in. I really like the Thru-Hull fitting, that should work really nicely. The good thing about building it yourself, is you can change it as you need to in the future. As for the mis-measurements, refitting, etc, that certainly comes with the territory if you don't do if for a living. When I have a gnarly carpentry issue I have a friend help who is a master and he always shakes his head and laughs and tells me it's a good thing I am not trying to make a living at it.  Have fun!

2005 Tundra  2013 Ocelot    "Ridiculously comfortable"

2021 Tundra 2022 Cougar Shell Built Out  "Even more ridiculously comfortable"

#9 veryactivelife

veryactivelife

• Members
  • 188 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 November 2018 - 03:38 PM

Be wary of 50# struts. The struts are exerting force the entire time the top is down. Four Wheel recomends no more than 40 and preferably 30 for most applications. I think 50 will put a lot of stress on the connection points. There have been discussions about it on this Forum in the past or maybe on the Four Wheel Campers Facebook page.

Dean and Mary
2015 RAM 2500 Cummins with 2015 Four Wheel Campers Hawk flatbed

VeryActiveLife on Facebook, instagram & YouTube

#10 camper rich

camper rich

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 08:49 PM

An alternative to using the 50# struts which FWC does not recommend is to get an "In Concert Music Speaker Stand" and remove the tripod legs. It will take the stress off of the roof panels when raising the roof with a load up there. I love mine because it lifts the roof up high enough that I just have to give the panels a little push to lock them in place.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users