2000 Tundra AC- 2000 FWC Ranger

2017 Tundra DC - 2017 ATC Panther

#12 carld

carld

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • LocationDecatur Texas

Posted 07 November 2018 - 06:02 PM

I liked my ATC Ocelot, but there were a few issues. On really rough 4x4 roads the balance is a bit off.  I think a Panther shell with front dinette and centered water tank with no propane will be better.   The fabric top doesn't provide insulation, as soon as the furnace turns off it cools off.  The Ocelot is nice but it is more than I really need,  a good place to sleep and fix a meal, considering the amount of time I use it verses other things.  We just moved to a smaller place in the country and I have several projects I want to do.  I planned to upgrade my truck, 2002 Tundra with 275000 mi, and essentially the insurance settlement paid me retail for it.  I think I will get retail for the Ocelot, still working on it.  So I could just turn around and put that into a Panther shell, or use some for my projects at home and get something smaller like the Capri.

Edited by carld, 07 November 2018 - 06:04 PM.

2002 Tundra AC 4x4 with 2015 Ocelot

2006 Tundra AC 4x4 with 2018 78" Ocelot

2011 Tundra AC 4x4 with 2010 78" Ocelot

#13 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,295 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 07 November 2018 - 10:31 PM

Sounds like a good decision.

No need to rush into anything.

You have a chance to make a change

that will work for you .

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#14 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 08 November 2018 - 01:43 AM

Another #3 vote

Thom

Where does that road go?

#15 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 08 November 2018 - 02:42 AM

Carld you have another option. Start the search for a used camper, which ever one or ones that you would like! No need to run out and jump into one. I'm sure you could find a deal. Freeing up the cash for your other projects.
Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#16 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,382 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 08 November 2018 - 01:07 PM

Hard choices for sure.  I guess I'd consider some other factors.  I wouldn't get anything where 2 people couldn't sleep comfortably.  I agree w/ the "insulation" part of the reasoning but you could do the inslulation pack.  If you are concerned w/ resale, ATC is the way to go.  Also, I don't know if they are goign to raise their prices or not but FWC did starting Dec. 1st (I think) so I suspect ATC will do the same shortly.  I also agree that you may be able to find a "used" one but I suspect you'ld have to spend extra $'s and time to get it how you like it, but I still like option 3.

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#17 Andy Douglass

Andy Douglass

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 02:42 AM

Based on looks alone, #3. I don't like the way the other two look. Looks aren't everything, but I'm assuming you are thinking about appearance since you shopped each camper onto a pic of your truck.

Never had a camper other than our FWC, so on functionality I would vote for #3 as well. The soft side is a drawback for insulation (and bear safety), but you can mitigate it a little bit with a thermal pack type product. 

#18 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 05:24 AM

Hi Carl

I don't know if you could consider this but we have been very happy to have a dedicated camper truck alongside our daily drivers.

It is an older Chevy 4WD 3/4 ton and is certainly adequate to our travel needs....meanwhile the Toyota pickup (s) do all the daily grind.

It is wonderful to have the camper nearly always ready to go with gear and supplies.

Just a thought that changes the camper choice process.

David Graves

#19 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,105 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 14 December 2018 - 01:40 AM

I don't know if it is important to you but the Capri Cowboy has only 5 ft height inside; not enough for the average person to stand.

Looks like the Bel-air is about the same.

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#20 firemen7

firemen7

• Members
  • 163 posts
  • LocationEscondido, CA

Posted 14 December 2018 - 02:38 AM

Carl,

I'd have to go with the ATC, when the weather is bad and you want to make tea or coffee, something to eat or just get out of the weather you will have room to stand up, a nice place to rest, and all of the other amenities/creature comforts you decide to install.

my 2 cents.

Whichever one you choose, i'm certain you will dress it up and thoroughly enjoy it.

Bud   

2009 Single cab Silverado Z71 & 2005 Hawk
2018 Crew cab Silverado 4X4 & 2018 Hawk

2020 RAM 2500 Crew Cab 4X4 & 2018 Hawk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users