• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 JoeKan

JoeKan

• Members
  • 151 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 07 November 2018 - 03:45 PM

I'm needing to replace the shades in my camper and was wondering what do you all use? I'm thinking of going with roller Shades that was in there before and using blackout fabric.
Thank you
Joe

1972 NCO Alaskan 10'

#2 wagoneer

wagoneer

• Members
  • 173 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 07 November 2018 - 04:29 PM

In the same boat I am needing window treatments the blinds were trashed. what do newer AK's come with? I may just use reflexit cut to fit. my sewing sucks and no wimen in my life.

1995 Dodge Ram diesel 1976 CO 8 Ft. Alaskan Camper

#3 PackRat

PackRat

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationNovato, CA

Posted 07 November 2018 - 09:01 PM

Check with stores that feature window shades, etc. to get the wooden rollers you already have recovered with a material you pick out as long as the still work. That's really old school. You can go with mini-blinds or other options but they MUST raise enough to clear the Pirelli seals with the top down.

You might check with RV shops also on who they suggest in your area.

I got lucky....the ones in my '76 Alaskan are in good condition after some cleaning/dusting.

1988 Ford F-250 HD Lariat 4x4 8 Ft. bed

1976 Alaskan 8 Ft. CO camper

#4 JoeKan

JoeKan

• Members
  • 151 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 07 November 2018 - 10:57 PM

The ones that came with mine were still in good shape but when I took them down and unrolled them on the sidewalk they wouldn't close up again (Roller shades). Home Depot has roller shades but they won't cut the length, only the width. So the side widows that are around 65" long only needs to go down 23", but since they won't cut the length, it's going to be 78"

I can go to somewhere like, blinds.com but they're about $60 per window! 

Wal-mart has curtains that I may use. They don't look "too bad."  I also plan on using total blackout curtains or blinds and also going to use reflectix for winter boondock camping. 

I was going to reupholster my dinette seats but they were wanting a small fortune for doing it so I cleaned them with vinegar and water and left them out in the sun for a couple of days. Surprisingly, they don't smell very musty. 

1972 NCO Alaskan 10'

#5 PackRat

PackRat

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationNovato, CA

Posted 08 November 2018 - 12:34 AM

Try this...

1) roll one of them up

2) mount it in the rolled up position

3) pull down and try to get it to STOP in a down position just above the inner section of the Alaskan

4) if it will stay in the DOWN position, then comes the final test....now pull down a bit on it and see if it winds itself up

Let us know if that works....

#6 PackRat

PackRat

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationNovato, CA

Posted 08 November 2018 - 12:39 AM

PS.... if your cushions are as old as mine are (1976) the foam is basically shot and you will bottom out if you roll onto your side. Very uncomfortable. I bought memory foam to use in the CO bunk or the dinette bunk and it makes all the difference in the world. You can re-do the cushions your self with nothing more than some material you like that is Scotchguarded, a stapler and some foam of a good DENSITY. Too hard and it is not comfortable to sleep on or even sit on and too soft and you sink into it and bottom out anyway.

Be careful about the upper berth if you have a CO Alaskan, the mattress can't be too thick or you can't fold the side/front panels in safely.

#7 noteven

noteven

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationAlberta summer & western USA winter.

Posted 08 November 2018 - 02:26 AM

I’m looking at end chain roller blinds maybe.
Or mini blinds.
1974 Alaskan 10’ CO

#8 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,950 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 08 November 2018 - 05:03 AM

Why not just cut them to length yourself?

#9 JoeKan

JoeKan

• Members
  • 151 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 09 November 2018 - 01:54 AM

Vic, I thought about doing that but I'm afraid that if I do that and they don't roll up then I'm stuck with them. I thinking that since Home Depot doesn't cut the length, that is the reason. 

1972 NCO Alaskan 10'

#10 PackRat

PackRat

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationNovato, CA

Posted 09 November 2018 - 06:36 PM

Joe.....

what happened when you tried my hand re-rolling and installation suggestion?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users