21 replies to this topic

#1 IDKbutAlaskan

IDKbutAlaskan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 08 November 2018 - 03:57 PM

Hi. Noob here w 1960 NCO 8' I'm looking for help to decide if camper is salvagable, i.e. rotten floor. Any gurus here in NorCal that may be able to inspect please? Im willing to drive for meeting. Jay

#2 PackRat

PackRat

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationNovato, CA

Posted 08 November 2018 - 06:36 PM

Jay, I think if the camper is mounted and you still have soft/spongy wood over a small area that it could be fixed. However if you have inspected it while up on jacks and the floor/side panels are loose/rotted out then the whole floor should be replaced. Then finding the extent of rot up the side walls gets you WAY DEEP into repairs.

Now you need to survey the top vents ant the top/end panels for water intrusion and further rotted wood and leaks. Staining on the inside at the vents and in the corners and under the windows

There comes a time when unless you are a carpenter and are prepared for all possible damage repairs that you may consider moving on to a less challenging project.

It sounds like the whole floor is rotted so it would be a pass for me even if it was free, probably a parts camper.

1988 Ford F-250 HD Lariat 4x4 8 Ft. bed

1976 Alaskan 8 Ft. CO camper

#3 wagoneer

wagoneer

• Members
  • 173 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 08 November 2018 - 08:03 PM

What do you call nor-cal, whats your location?

1995 Dodge Ram diesel 1976 CO 8 Ft. Alaskan Camper

#4 IDKbutAlaskan

IDKbutAlaskan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 08 November 2018 - 10:21 PM

Yes. It looks really bad. I'll read the sticky on how to attach photos. I'm in North California, Albany.

#5 JoeKan

JoeKan

• Members
  • 151 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 09 November 2018 - 02:26 AM

I've never done one before but would hate to see a vintage classic be parted out. I'm not sure if you could replace the rot by gutting the interior or raising it up on a lift and tearing the bottom off from the outside and not having to gut it???   I have a small section that has wood rot but I believe I can do it from the outside and scab in a new piece. 

1972 NCO Alaskan 10'

#6 PackRat

PackRat

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationNovato, CA

Posted 09 November 2018 - 06:32 PM

Hit the "More Reply Options" button and then the Browse button

Then find the pic on your computer and hit Open

Then move the curser to where you want the pic

Then hit the Attach This File button.

Then hit the Add To Post button

You can attach others up to that 500k limit, add texty or hit Add Reply when done.

You get 500k of files

Like this one:

Rusty Nap Time 8-25-12.jpg

#7 IDKbutAlaskan

IDKbutAlaskan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 09 November 2018 - 08:27 PM

Thanks for the instructions PackRat.   I'm now leaning toward parting it.   :( 

But, not in a hurry to do so.

Attached Thumbnails

• top.jpg
  • floor.jpg
  • seam.jpg

#8 Ripperj

Ripperj

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 10:52 PM

Run......fast
Seriously that's a project and a half

#9 IDKbutAlaskan

IDKbutAlaskan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 10 November 2018 - 01:20 AM

:)  :)  I'll plan a camper salvage meetup in the next few months. 

(Unless I get a better offer)

Probably over the Christmas - New Years break.  

Who knows how to separate the 2 halves? 

I guess once the interior is gutted, it's more or less obvious.

Jay in Albany, CA

#10 PackRat

PackRat

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationNovato, CA

Posted 10 November 2018 - 06:47 PM

Wow....that's got to be one of the WORST Alaskans I've ever seen make it to the WTW boards. I think you might as well console yourself to either selling it as-is to someone who will part it out or keeping it and trying to part it out yourself.

To remove top from bottom, set your jacks to lift only the TOP section when in the down position and then remove the nuts holding the cylinder rams so it can be lifted OFF the bottom. Then you can raise the top off the bottom. Unless you have any electrical wiring that feeds something in the lower section, that should be all you need to do. Be REALLY careful as you don't have much of an upper sidewall width to lift and it may fall off.

If you can then at least get the top onto some sawhorses so anyone salvaging parts from the inside/outside as a safe access that would be helpful. For the bottom, if you can find a stack of pallets equal to the height of the truck bed and tie the bottom off to a tree or a pole, you might be able to pull it back out by driving away and setting pallets as you go.

Put me on the list for a visit from Novato when you get to parting it out...I need some latches for my Alaskan if they aren't in worse shape than mine! You will make at least ONE Alaskan owner VERY happy if they can buy one of the "ALASKAN' logos screwed to the Top That's for sure!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users