21 replies to this topic

#11 IDKbutAlaskan

IDKbutAlaskan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 10 November 2018 - 08:44 PM

Thanks again! Are you able to see the condition of the latches without going to all the trouble of disassembling? If so, we can arrange a visit or I'll take aa photo. It is currently located in San Pablo.

#12 PackRat

PackRat

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationNovato, CA

Posted 10 November 2018 - 10:24 PM

They look to be the same as the ones on my '76 Alaskan. I could come over and take a look and buy them I guess. Have you had any luck in raising the top yet? It may take 50 pumps or more to get it up but you will need to check the reservoir before trying to insure there is hydraulic fluid still in it.

When would it be OK to pop over to see it? I'd not want to wait until the rains come myself...

1988 Ford F-250 HD Lariat 4x4 8 Ft. bed

1976 Alaskan 8 Ft. CO camper

#13 PackRat

PackRat

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationNovato, CA

Posted 10 November 2018 - 10:28 PM

PS...I might want some other stuff and I can probably give you some insight on what to strip off before it goes to the dump. Basically the tanks, pumps, sink, fridge, stove hydraulic rams (lifts, the brass tubes in four corners), the windows, the window eyebrows, doors/door locks, hardware/pulls.....all that is of value to others who are missing those items for their rebuilds.

#14 IDKbutAlaskan

IDKbutAlaskan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 04 January 2019 - 06:54 AM

Wow....that's got to be one of the WORST Alaskans I've ever seen make it to the WTW boards. I think you might as well console yourself to either selling it as-is to someone who will part it out or keeping it and trying to part it out yourself.

To remove top from bottom, set your jacks to lift only the TOP section when in the down position and then remove the nuts holding the cylinder rams so it can be lifted OFF the bottom. Then you can raise the top off the bottom. Unless you have any electrical wiring that feeds something in the lower section, that should be all you need to do. Be REALLY careful as you don't have much of an upper sidewall width to lift and it may fall off.

If you can then at least get the top onto some sawhorses so anyone salvaging parts from the inside/outside as a safe access that would be helpful. For the bottom, if you can find a stack of pallets equal to the height of the truck bed and tie the bottom off to a tree or a pole, you might be able to pull it back out by driving away and setting pallets as you go.

Put me on the list for a visit from Novato when you get to parting it out...I need some latches for my Alaskan if they aren't in worse shape than mine! You will make at least ONE Alaskan owner VERY happy if they can buy one of the "ALASKAN' logos screwed to the Top That's for sure!

Hi Packrat, I don't have jacks. Is there a suggested substitute (kludge) for separating top/bottom? Any guess how heavy the top section is?  I can use the roof rack to raise it. (?)  

#15 Nailhead

Nailhead

basset hound

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 08:44 PM

If you’re going to part that camper out, I’d love to have the upper front window.

#16 wagoneer

wagoneer

• Members
  • 173 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 05 February 2019 - 05:00 PM

Pack rat and I are close to where you are, I have been in Arizona all of January Just got back I have 4 jacks if you need to borrow to remove the top let me know 415 608 5642 Adrian

1995 Dodge Ram diesel 1976 CO 8 Ft. Alaskan Camper

#17 PackRat

PackRat

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationNovato, CA

Posted 05 February 2019 - 06:04 PM

Maybe Wagoneer/Adrian and I could both come over and help you lift the top using his jacks? Once secured, you can begin to strip things and get a list together for guys who need things like that window Nailhead needs.

#18 IDKbutAlaskan

IDKbutAlaskan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 08 February 2019 - 12:00 AM

Wagoneer and Packrat stopping by with jacks.

I'm planning to use this trailer as a platform to decide next step.

48" between wheel wells after removing the sides.

Rated for 1200 lbs but I'm not planning to take it on the road...just easier to move about.

Attached Thumbnails

• trailer.jpg

#19 wagoneer

wagoneer

• Members
  • 173 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 09 February 2019 - 02:17 AM

OOps!

Attached Thumbnails

• UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1bcc.jpg

1995 Dodge Ram diesel 1976 CO 8 Ft. Alaskan Camper

#20 IDKbutAlaskan

IDKbutAlaskan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 09 February 2019 - 02:21 AM

The team shown here before the "Exxon Valdez" landed on the rocks.   :)

I have to thank Wagoneer and Packrat who saved the day. 

The rotted floor snagged on the truck bed causing shifting and upheaval.

Still, I call it a success since no windows broke, etc.

Attached Thumbnails

• alaskan.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users