• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 960 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 09 November 2018 - 03:05 AM

One of our WTW members has asked me to build another set of High Lift jack mounts that I have made for several members but due to the difficulty of buying steel in small quantities and being lazy I have stopped production.

I have offered to provide him drawings of the brackets to have them made locally and thought it would be a good chance to learn CAD on something simple. I downloaded a free program called BabaCAD and have had zero luck figuring out how to use it. If any of you know of a free (or cheap) easy to use CAD program for a Mac let me know.

2002 Fiat 2500 CTD 4x4, FWC Grandby 1951 Willys CJ3A

#2 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 09 November 2018 - 01:40 PM

As you've likely figured out, not a lot of CAD type programs written for a native Mac environment. Is a windoz emulator possible? That might open up some options, but CAD is math co-processor intensive and probably will run slow.

I've also seen google's Sketch used on some forums, but have no idea about what it is native to, if anything, or what it's functionality is. I'm spoiled in this dept. as I spend 2 to 10 hours a day in SolidWorks, but PM me if I can help flatten the learning curve. Learning parametric modeling has an extremely steep learning curve early in the process.

Alternately, if it's an option, I'll guess that SBCC offers an evening intro class in SolidWorks. I know VCC does because I've taken it to get up to speed on a new version that my then employer didn't buy.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#3 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 10 November 2018 - 02:58 AM

I've fooled around in SketchUp on the Mac. It's fun and easy to learn. The downside is it doesn't translate easily to CNC type applications, if that's where you're headed. There are conversion programs but I haven't had good success with them, probably due to my own lack of knowledge in both. I know a lot of people use SolidWorks and theoretically you can import SketchUp files to Solidworks but I've never done it.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#4 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 12 November 2018 - 01:23 PM

"Sketchup", thank you.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#5 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 960 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 13 November 2018 - 07:24 AM

I looked at Sketchup and it seems easier to use the the one I've tried. I'll try it out when I have time and post the results.

2002 Fiat 2500 CTD 4x4, FWC Grandby 1951 Willys CJ3A

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users