• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 spudder

spudder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 02:45 PM

At a recent tractor show I attempted to light the furnace in my mid-nineties Granby. After it failed to light, A friend and I made several attempts to no avail. The furnace cycled through its phases but didn't light. I'm not sure the igniter was working. Hope it's something simple and not a circuit board.

Any advice and help appreciated.

#2 muttmaster

muttmaster

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 03:26 PM

My Grandby had issue with Attwood furnace too. Try lighting the stivev and let it burn for 30 seconds to purge trapped air. Make sure you have plenty of propane in the cylinder. I also found out that when the hot water heater is on, the furnace won’t light either. Click the thermostat on and off may do the tick too.

#3 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,255 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 13 November 2018 - 04:19 PM

Did you recently open the valve on the propane cylinder? Opening it quickly can cause a misreading in the safety valve and shut down propane supply.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#4 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 13 November 2018 - 06:52 PM

Please tell us more, spudder....

What model furnace? (so I can look for a manual)

Has it fired up successfully recently?  

If so, can you think of anything that has changed since then?  (example- propane refill, batteries went low, etc)

Has the furnace been troublesome in the past?

Can you light your stove? If so, does it seem to be working like you'd expect it to?

Did you happen to have oil come out of your propane line when you've unscrewed it from the tank? (to refill or whatever)  

Do you believe you have 11.5 volts or more at the furnace?

When you say 'cycled through it's phases', I assume that means the fan ran for bit and then you heard the distinctive click of the attempt to light.  But it never fired.  Is that correct?  Or did it fire and run for a few seconds and shut down?

Did the furnace attempt to light three times, then run the fan for a while, then shut down?

Have you checked wiring connections on the furnace to be sure there are no obvious problems with them? (like the high-tension wire falling off)

Is the control board stable in its carrier and the carrier securely in place?

Have the control board contacts been cleaned (fairly) recently?

Also- my 8516-IV model has this sticker on the motor cover...

(Click to enlarge)

FurnaceFaultLightSticker.jpg

The flashes refer to an LED on the control board (assuming it's the original board).   From your description, I'm guessing you'd be seeing the three-flashes one, i.e., the lockout.  Yes?

Edited by Old Crow, 13 November 2018 - 06:54 PM.

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#5 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,379 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 13 November 2018 - 09:20 PM

I had a similar issue w/ my older Eage.  It could be any number of things.  I replaced a lot of things while I was working on mine (sail switch, jets, etc., etc.) and in the end, it was a circuit board.  There's an aftermarket maker of the boards (can't remember the name) but they are cheaper, better built and are a direct replacement.  Not terribly expensive.

Edited by kmcintyre, 14 November 2018 - 01:10 PM.

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#6 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 13 November 2018 - 10:56 PM

Dinosaur electronics. http://www.dinosaure...itor_boards.htm

I was going to do all of that to mine today. It fires up at home but not in the mountains. Hard to diagnose when it sorta works but the parts aren't really expensive. Instead I wound up cleaning up the shed and around the house. Maybe I'll get to it this weekend.

For those who have pulled the heater out to work on it, how hard is it to disconnect the propane line?

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#7 N'kwala

N'kwala

Geezelle

• Members
  • 423 posts
  • Locationwest coast

Posted 14 November 2018 - 06:28 AM

Mr. Ski, please,  you may have explained a recent mysterious event--my furnace was refusing to light, I tried everything I could figure, took it to ATC.  Jeff opened the propane, I switched on the furnace and -- hey presto!  Furnace lit.  Only thing different I can think of is that Jeff turned on the propane, and maybe I'd turned it on too quickly...?...

When you write that there may be a "misreading in the safety valve," is that valve just for the furnace?  Because my stove worked ok.

Edited by N'kwala, 14 November 2018 - 06:30 AM.

#8 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,379 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 14 November 2018 - 01:10 PM

Dinosaur electronics. http://www.dinosaure...itor_boards.htm

I was going to do all of that to mine today. It fires up at home but not in the mountains. Hard to diagnose when it sorta works but the parts aren't really expensive. Instead I wound up cleaning up the shed and around the house. Maybe I'll get to it this weekend.

For those who have pulled the heater out to work on it, how hard is it to disconnect the propane line?

That's the board I used... thanks!

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#9 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,255 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 14 November 2018 - 03:29 PM

Did you recently open the valve on the propane cylinder? Opening it quickly can cause a misreading in the safety valve and shut down propane supply.

N'kwala, if you open your tank valve too quickly it can send a blast of propane to the regulator - the main regulator in the line from tour tank to all propane appliances - and cause it to restrict flow of propane. Many times this shut down is evidenced by poor cooktop flame, but not always.

If it happens again, a way to check is to turn off all appliances, close the valve on the tank, unhook the tank from the system - as if you were removing the tank for filling - wait just a bit and reconnect everything. Slowly turn on the tank valve and check if the furnace lights. Hope this was your only problem.

Others, if I'm incorrect with the above, please correct my efforts to make this easier to understand.

Mr. Ski, please,  you may have explained a recent mysterious event--my furnace was refusing to light, I tried everything I could figure, took it to ATC.  Jeff opened the propane, I switched on the furnace and -- hey presto!  Furnace lit.  Only thing different I can think of is that Jeff turned on the propane, and maybe I'd turned it on too quickly...?...

When you write that there may be a "misreading in the safety valve," is that valve just for the furnace?  Because my stove worked ok.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#10 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 14 November 2018 - 04:20 PM

Ski I think there was something about opening the other end of the line like the stove. I will check when I get home.

Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users