11 replies to this topic

#1 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,315 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 16 November 2018 - 05:05 AM

Julie & I made a quick trip out into Nevada. We had things to look for. The story and photos are posted on our blog and can be found here -

Nevada Ancient Rock Art - Nevada 2018

We hope you enjoy another adventure! :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#2 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 16 November 2018 - 01:22 PM

Nice story with photos and pictures (rock art). Would never have seen the upside down man without the hint, thank you both. Gotta love the sun out here coming and going.

Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#3 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,572 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 16 November 2018 - 03:19 PM

Wow, just wow! Nice work finding these sites! Wonderful report! Thanks so much for letting us travel along vicariously!

I am haunted by waters

#4 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 16 November 2018 - 04:55 PM

Fantastic photos - especially like the basalt boulder shots and feral horses. Thanks for another great TR!!

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#5 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,761 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 16 November 2018 - 05:52 PM

Again you guys bring back allot of memories of those back country places and the secrets they hold! One of the best parts of my BLM job/vocation was working in areas that probably no other "ark" had ever been in before and coming across some canyon rim or isolated pile of rocks or even  a single rock or scatter of basalt flakes that told a story that we could only wonder or guess about today! Ah those were days and I am so glad I got to live them for so,long!  Boy and do I have allot of horse stories -some told here! Thanks again!

Smoke

Edited by Smokecreek1, 16 November 2018 - 05:57 PM.

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#6 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 16 November 2018 - 11:31 PM

Hit the jackpot of rock art there. Though I see something other than an upside down man :)

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#7 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,283 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 17 November 2018 - 12:17 AM

Thanks Ski.With so much rock art how many  ancient people would have been in the area

and what happened to them?

This is one of the best rock art finds you have posted.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#8 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 17 November 2018 - 03:21 AM

Cool stuff. Thanks for the report. :)

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#9 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,761 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 17 November 2018 - 09:34 PM

Frank-you are asking the right questions but the answers are allot harder to answer.  When I was in my first actual archaeology  field class, the first thing they told us is to look at the site  area and "picture it" in your mind as to how it looked in the past-not today-what the environment looked like at various times and what (if anything) would be left today to pick up and look at and what things were actually there to look at today!  To illustrate this, they created a site by throwing a bunch of artifacts,rocks, bones  and things (some in circles,some buried, some random ) around a juniper tree and telling us Okay, what happened here and letting us come up with what happened and when it happened, was it a one time event or was it several events-or maybe even none at all  because it all took place naturally! Lots of possible answers and there in is the fun of tiring to figure out the "Who's, What's, Where,Whens and Hows" based on what you see, know and can surmise or guess.

Skis' rock art is probably in the  .Great Basin or high desert some where, so that's a start and ,generally speaking, except around major food sources, population density was low when compared to say the California Central Valley or parts of the southwest. and was based on the small family unit because there was not enough "food" around to support large groups.   What does the rock art look like-the same or different styles, were there breaks between styles or types thru time.  There were very dramatic climate changes over time in the Basin-with long periods with no one there or at certain times there were  major increases  in populations as climate change or other things drove different groups thru the area.  When  you think that this type of process was going on for maybe 15-20,000 years or so ago, the numbers of people thru that area and who used those rock art sites, are pretty hard to estimate.  

And we have not even started of thinking how, why and how often they were used and for how long!  Sorry, guys Ski's TR seems  to turned on my old archaeological thinking self, and I don't what to seem that I'm and old know-it-all and I am not trying to hi-jack Ski's great TR-so that said, best guess and based on what we know about the 4"W's" and 1" H", not that many people probably knew about or used that "exact " rock art over maybe the last couple of 1000 years or so!  Best I can do for now, get me out in the desert sometime. Remember that "created ark site" story next time you find something interesting while out WTWing! Sorry again!

Smoke

Edited by Smokecreek1, 17 November 2018 - 10:18 PM.

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#10 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 17 November 2018 - 10:46 PM

Thanks Ski. Native American art is always a special find. We finally got to see our first at Capitol Reef.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users