3 replies to this topic

#1 joez3

joez3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 03:15 PM

Might be taking a trip down to joshua tree this year. Does anyone have a good hiking book that they could recommend? And does anyone know of a good forum like this one for joshua tree (somthing other then tripadvisor) ?

thanks

#2 iowahiker

iowahiker

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • Locationiowa

Posted 16 November 2018 - 03:54 PM

We used "Hiking California's Desert Parks" by Bill Cunningham which we purchased on-line used.  The new Falcon editions have one book per park but we wanted to only carry one book for the region since we went to multiple parks.  We also used the "Trails Illustrated" map of each park.  The new Falcon park specific book is also by Cunningham.  Combining the map and book led us to every place we wanted to explore.

The campground on the south side of Joshua Tree was the least busy during our fall visit a few years ago and did not fill during the week.  We found a site at every campground we visited in the early afternoon during the week but many campgrounds did fill during the afternoon.  Many rental RV's used Joshua Tree as the first stop heading north.

#3 knoxswift

knoxswift

• Members
  • 219 posts
  • LocationAshburn, Virginia

Posted 16 November 2018 - 05:23 PM

JT has become very popular and busy. Do try to reserve sites. Worst case Joshua Tree Lake I believe still allows boondocking. My favorite hike is Lost Horse Mine trail.

#4 wagoneer

wagoneer

• Members
  • 173 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 17 November 2018 - 06:58 AM

Boondocking is available at the South entrance but with my 10 dollar National parks pass it's half price.

1995 Dodge Ram diesel 1976 CO 8 Ft. Alaskan Camper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users