23 replies to this topic

#1 caykend

caykend

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 16 November 2018 - 06:38 PM

I haven't seen any threads commenting on the head room while in the bunk in a Fleet vs. a Hawk. 

We are trying to decide on which 4 Wheel Camper model to get. Originally we'd planned on a Tacoma Extended Cab/Fleet, but after reading many payload/cargo discussions on this site (very helpful!) we are now considering an F150 Access Cab/Hawk. We've visited the factory, plus two other dealerships, and have crawled around the Swift, Fleet & Hawk models.  I noticed that I could sit up easily in the Fleet & Swift, but not in the Hawk (higher hard sides = higher bunk & shorter fabric on pop-up). Has this been a problem for anyone?  

It seems like the F150/Hawk might be a better option in terms of space & power, but I'm worried that I'd be unhappy with the headroom when trying to sit up in the bunk. This seems to be the one drawback to getting a Hawk vs. Fleet. Has anyone spent time sleeping in both models who could give us an opinion. FYI, I'm 5'8" and my husband is 5'10".

Thanks!

Edited by caykend, 16 November 2018 - 06:42 PM.

#2 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 16 November 2018 - 07:04 PM

We have a 2014 Grandby. I'm 5'-9" and my wife 5'-3". Never been an issue. The bed is for sleeping and the dinette for sitting. FWC used to offer an option for a taller soft side. You might ask.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#3 Dphillip

Dphillip

• Members
  • 108 posts
  • LocationOmaha Nebraska

Posted 16 November 2018 - 08:06 PM

In our Hawk the headroom in the bunk is not a problem but that lifting push board is a magnet for our heads. My wife and I hit our noggins on that thing nightly. Minor annoyance however because we love our Hawk, the fun factor is off the hook!

I like your idea of the F-150 verses the Toyota, greater payload and braking is always a good thing.
Omaha Nebraska

#4 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 560 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 16 November 2018 - 08:41 PM

Umm.... whattya doing in there, hitting your heads?! Seriously, we've also hit our heads, and I've considered putting a bit of padding on that board. But I hit my head a lot worse going through the back door. Owie.

Our Tacoma was overweight by 600 lbs (6200 lb) on our recent trip, according to several weigh stations. I was amazed how well it performed on highway and very rough roads. We drive pretty slowly up hill and in headwinds to save gas, getting 16-20 mpg highly dependent on winds on pavement, and 10 mpg on rough roads. We are newbies though, no comparison with any other truck.

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

#5 gaylon

gaylon

• Members
  • 176 posts
  • LocationBoulder Creek

Posted 17 November 2018 - 06:10 AM

Can’t sit up easily in bed in the hawk. We’ve discussed, if we get another, to ask them to build it with an extended height kit, which I have heard they can do for really tall people. An extra three inches of headroom would make watching movies in bed with the pups that much easier for sure.

2015 Hawk on a 2016 Tundra TRD Pro

#6 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 04:29 PM

Hello Caykend

I wonder about your inquiry of the differing height over sleeping area.

We find it a place for one to sleep and a very handy place to put stuff when we are in the lower space.

I cannot imagine ever needing to "sit up" to dress, read or otherwise be in the upper area.

Is that what you were hoping for ?

Sitting up in the bunk would almost certainly involve ones legs hanging over the edge and then you are for the most part already down in the lower area.

FWIW , Hope, 6-1 and I, 5-11 alternately sleep crosswise in our Hawk.....take turns from night to night.

Upper person has lots of room for a clothes box "nighstand" and lower person has easy access to start the coffee and stuff in the morning.

You are smart to think thru your expected use before investing in a camper.

David Graves

#7 drumwood

drumwood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 12:37 AM

I'm 6' 2" so I ordered the additional 2" height when I got my ATC Bobcat. My wife is shorter so I didn't think it would make much difference to her, but it does, for the bunk height. We like to sleep with our heads toward the center of the camper, which means a reverse maneuver after you crawl up to the bunk. The extra bunk height makes that easier, especially when you are trying to not disturb your spouse sleeping next to you.

#8 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 18 November 2018 - 12:51 AM

... An extra three inches of headroom would make watching movies in bed ....

Well I've wondered about the sit up thing before and that explains it (or some of it, IDK :ph34r: )

I'm old and figured it was either for reading  or acid reflux.

#9 caykend

caykend

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 18 November 2018 - 02:54 PM

Thanks everyone for your input so far. To clarify, I was thinking about being able to sit cross-legged in the upper bed (that’s over the truck cab) and use it for extra lounging space. It’s good to know that 4WC offers an extra height build—didn’t know that was an option.

It’s also been helpful to hear the different ways that people have worked out for using their space (ex.: alternating who sleeps in upper bed, etc.). Keep the comments coming. Thanks!

#10 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,532 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 18 November 2018 - 03:38 PM

You might also talk to ATC. They will do custom builds, including extra height.

I am haunted by waters

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: head room, fleet, hawk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users