#1 mynxd

mynxd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationWest Vancouver, BC

Posted 17 November 2018 - 03:58 PM

Has anyone purchased/installed a dash cam system? A few nights ago I had a very close call (head on collision). The pickup in front of me in the passing lane was forced into the side of a transit bus due to someone driving the wrong way. I was able to brake and avoid collision with the oncoming vehicle, and pulled over to call 911. The police asked if I had a dash cam, as the wrong way driver managed to get off the highway before the police arrived.

If there are any recommendations, I would appreciate it.

Thanks, Grant

2010 Siverado 4x4, 2012 ATC Ocelot

#2 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,216 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 17 November 2018 - 06:13 PM

I have a Brinno TLC-200 Pro Time Lapse Camera mounted to my dash.  I bought it to document our trips but it also serves as a dash cam.

It is a dedicated time lapse camera with a wide angle lens.  It records to an SD card in an easily accessible slot and is powered by batteries or USB cable.

Its resolution is only 720p but it has image stabilization and the images are good.  It has a menu function to set it up for auto exposure, day only or night only.  It also allows setting the time lapse interval from 1 second to 1 hour (1 sec, 2 sec, 3 sec, 5 sec, 10 sec, 20 sec, 30 sec, 1 min etc).  In addition, it accepts CS-mount lenses to produce different fields of view and zoom.  It has a standard 1/4 inch thread mount and it will work with Go-Pro type mounting accessories.

It is simple to use.  Turn it on, then press start.  When you close the file it creates an AVI file in the camera so it is instantly available with no post-processing required.  Depending on the SD card (up to 32 Gb) and time interval it can run continuously for hours, days or even weeks.

The built in screen is very small so I simply remove the SD card and download the file(s) to my laptop then re-install the SD card after erasing the files from it (or one could have several SD cards to archive images on).

See the specifications here:

https://www.brinno.c...amera/TLC200Pro

You can purchase here:

https://www.amazon.c...a/dp/B00CBNZC2K

Note: for highway speeds to make a good time lapse video of a trip the best setting is 1 sec interval.  It would be better if the interval were 0.5 sec but 1 second interval is as fast as it will go.   I recommend also using 1 sec or 2 sec setting for dash cam use.

Regards,

Craig

Edited by ckent323, 17 November 2018 - 06:21 PM.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#3 moveinon

moveinon

• Members
  • 156 posts
  • LocationMilwaukie Oregon

Posted 17 November 2018 - 06:17 PM

I have an AUTO-VOX D2 PRO Car Dash Cam and have used it continually for two years.  Easy plug and play with auto write over.  Clear even at night with head lights.  I do not know about customer service as I have never needed any.  Have used it to document a number of trips (1080 resolution) as well as safety for an accident.  Easily unclips to put away if afraid of theft and was less than $50 on sale.  Looks cheaply made but has held up.

#4 slash2

slash2

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 18 November 2018 - 03:37 PM

I have the Rexing V1 in one vehicle and the R1 Pro in another. Both were easy to install and have worked flawlessly for over a year. I've documented one accident that occurred in front of me and one guy illegally dumping trash at my business complex, but mostly I've used them to record interesting views, rough spots when 4 wheeling, cows blocking the road and trying to stare me down and most commonly the crazy things people do in traffic around me.

It gives me great peace of mind knowing I have factual evidence should I ever need it.

/2

#5 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 18 November 2018 - 04:53 PM

I've been thinking about getting one. Very timely post!

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#6 mynxd

mynxd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationWest Vancouver, BC

Posted 18 November 2018 - 06:17 PM

Thank you all for your replies.

I have found a local source for the Thinkware F800 Dual (not the F800  Pro Dual) for about $225 US. and will probably go with it.  I will follow up on this thread with what I actually purchase and install. This unit is for my wife's SUV (GMC Terrain Denali - a lot of electronics, but no dash cam).

About 2 years back, I purchased a Garmin GPS with built in dash cam that also permitted me to install a backup camera on the truck, Both front and rear cameras have worked very well on the truck.

Once again, thanks to all responders

Grant

2010 Siverado 4x4, 2012 ATC Ocelot

#7 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,379 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 19 November 2018 - 12:28 PM

I've been thinking about one too and figured on Black Friday they'll be on sale but like others, so many options, etc. 

How about using a GoPro?  I'd like something smaller that can be mounted kind of stealthy.

Kevin

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#8 EM4

EM4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, originally Vancouver BC

Posted 19 November 2018 - 05:03 PM

Has anyone purchased/installed a dash cam system? A few nights ago I had a very close call (head on collision). The pickup in front of me in the passing lane was forced into the side of a transit bus due to someone driving the wrong way. I was able to brake and avoid collision with the oncoming vehicle, and pulled over to call 911. The police asked if I had a dash cam, as the wrong way driver managed to get off the highway before the police arrived.

If there are any recommendations, I would appreciate it.

Thanks, Grant

Hi there Grant,

I lived in West Van for many years but am now in Vegas.

I just wanted to say that there are a lot of under $100. dash cams but the one you plan to get looks good. Good luck with it. 

#9 slash2

slash2

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 19 November 2018 - 05:30 PM

I've been thinking about one too and figured on Black Friday they'll be on sale but like others, so many options, etc. 

How about using a GoPro?  I'd like something smaller that can be mounted kind of stealthy.

Kevin

Hey Kevin, I don't know if you are worried about theft, hence the stealthy, but my second dash cam, the Rexing R1 Pro mounts over the existing rear view mirror so it's not obvious that it's a cam other than the wire leading off into the headliner. I had someone break into that car and rifle though it, either they didn't notice the cam or didn't want it, but it was left alone.

I like the idea of having a dedicated dash cam permanently mounted in the car. They come on when the engine starts, constantly record till the card is full and then begin rewriting over the oldest video. Many have accelerometers that save a recording to a seperate file on the card if you are hit while moving or parked with the car off. Basically you completely forget about them until you need them.

Lot's of other features that the GoPro may or may not be able to do, plus I'd probably forget to have turned the GoPro on the one time I needed it!

Or, maybe these aren't the things that you were interested in when considering the GoPro, just some thoughts I had. BTW, grew up in Boise. Idaho is a beautiful place.

Kelly

Edited by slash2, 19 November 2018 - 05:32 PM.

#10 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,442 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 November 2018 - 06:29 PM

I have the Thinkware 800. I mounted it behind the dotted stuff on the windshield so only the small portion with camer is visible. I wrapped that in black tape so it would be harder to notice.

I also bought the accessory kit so It will do timelapse when parked. Gotta install that still..... rain and time constraints plus I can be a bit lazy :)

So far so good. They have a rear camera you can buy but be aware that it uses the sd card from the front one so recording time cut in half.

I did put a 128 gig in there and so far it is working:)

Good luck!

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users