• Please log in to reply
407 replies to this topic

#1 beemerchef

beemerchef

• Members
  • 341 posts
  • Locationon the road

Posted 07 March 2009 - 03:44 AM

Spirit and I, a motorcycle and a sidecar, we have been living on the road for a while now. We write, photograph, cook, chat... you name. This is the 401st chapter written, it is only part of it, toolong to post on any Forum... too many photos... Hope it might interest a few, the locations, the Life on the road... It is just another story with Mother Nature also as a close companion...

486243142_goDtQ-L-2.jpg

More company at the swimming hole… Texas

When someone “new” comes along visiting the area, my first thought is always the “swimming hole”. Camera in hand for the zillionth time I manage to find a few square inches of Art Mother Nature has managed to carve for us and leave behind, for only the time being. It will change I know by next year or maybe a few more ahead of us. We had never witnessed a sunset at the swimming hole as we did this last time a couple days ago. The light is lost very early because of the hills westward, but yet, the plays of the shadows made it for an interesting outing.
We rode around with a Friend from Germany hiking the area and for the first time Spirit had to share his car. He was the perfect gentleman as we both are, I do have to say however that he is happy to get it back for himself! My buddy Spirit… he will never cease to amaze me.
The photos are on the Blog… enjoy and be well.
Ara & Spirit

www.theoasisofmysoul.com our website and Blog

#2 simimike

simimike

• Members
  • 860 posts
  • LocationSimi Valley Ca.

Posted 07 March 2009 - 01:21 PM

Welcome Are,

I've seen your posts around and am looking forward hearing more of your adventures. Hope to see you on the road.

Cheers,

Mike

#3 beemerchef

beemerchef

• Members
  • 341 posts
  • Locationon the road

Posted 10 March 2009 - 01:14 AM

Welcome Are,

I've seen your posts around and am looking forward hearing more of your adventures. Hope to see you on the road.

Cheers,

Mike

Come to Big Bend!... this what you will get... maybe a free meal too!!!:D Thanks...

Posted Image

I am still trying to find it… Texas

Reading some of “Dewitt Jones” articles has really opened up some comprehension toward the parallelism of traveling, photography and Life itself.
“Creativity is the ability to see the extraordinary”
It brings along also the notion to the fact there is never only the one answer to our path, as there is not just one great photo or just one greatest route one should travel on.
Intersections are of so many on all those given aspects that surrounds us. Intersections are fun because one can come back and yet have more ways to go. Taking a photo only inches away from the previous one makes it a totally different often image.
We spend a couple days riding by the “landmarks” as I call them, we have been by so many times but never taken the time to stop. We did this time, and yet there will be more.
It is a side of this area that maybe even if you have come and visited you probably never noticed… It took me a long time to do so myself.

Be well, always. Ara & Spirit

#4 John D

John D

• Members
  • 465 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 10 March 2009 - 02:40 AM

I'm pretty sure I saw this guy and his dog in Alaska back in 07. If it was him, he passed us going the other direction on an open two lane with no one else in sight. Can't remember the road right now. It is easy to remember a dog in a sidecar with goggles.

There are several motorcycle writer/photographers/videographers. Another one is firehorserider. She has her blog too, different from this guy. In addition to the blog, she writes for vegitarian magazines, of all things. Some of the things she writes are probably intended for women, but she obviously likes men, which is rather refreshing in modern independant women writers.

#5 Southern Gent

Southern Gent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationBessemer, AL.

Posted 11 March 2009 - 12:23 AM

Fellows, Visit Ara's Website. I'm a foodie and a bit of a cook. This Fellow is a Master.

I was feeling good about my Pear, Strawberry and Artichoke heart Salad I made for dinner tonight. But Now I don't know.

Ara, Come to Birmingham and be my guest for a couple days.

Attached Thumbnails

• pear and strawberry salad.jpg

1996 Granby Four Wheel Camper mounted on 2004 Silverado 4x4 Extended Cab w 8 Ft. bed truck. Happy Selling

#6 beemerchef

beemerchef

• Members
  • 341 posts
  • Locationon the road

Posted 12 March 2009 - 01:48 AM

Who is this guy?... (funny!!!)
Well.... might be the camera... :D Is that Birmingham, Alabama??? We did Barber a couple days and entertained the kids for one!!! Is that an adventure or what??? He is the link... and the one for the school...
It was a great time... we might be riding through there sometime this summer... stay in touch... Would love to see you...

Posted Image

Big Bend Valley… Texas

Just depicting a bit of the Life here when one decides to get rooted for the winter time avoiding bad weather further north. The comfort of it’s space is in the soul. Spirit himself feels free around here, this is his turf, his territory, his “place” where he will point his ears toward “anything” that moves within a distance I cannot even see it’s end. It is not for everyone. As today having to get water 28 miles away, propane, food, laundry… all surrounded now with familiar faces inducing much chatting as always, including finding out the latest and the newest articles of Life surrounding us. The physical aspect of it all is such a small price to pay for the reward laid out and free for the taking. Compromises are originally of many, and yet, as time passes by they do not even feel as such, only becoming what I would call normal and enjoyable exercises good for the body anyhow. Old dwellings are still here, they are a remainder of a not so distant past only guessing their stories of others having maybe moved or moved in even further… Unlike other geographical areas where they might be a sight for sore eyes, I find them provocative from times ago.
Big Bend Valley… unlike any other…
Be well… Ara & Spirit

#7 beemerchef

beemerchef

• Members
  • 341 posts
  • Locationon the road

Posted 13 March 2009 - 10:52 PM

The guy is here... (still smiling!)

Posted Image

The Day I said “no”… Texas
Third day in, bad weather and yet so beautifully laid out. Of course we could get all geared up and confront the sprinkles, fog, icy cold streams blowing right and left, but we have been staying in, trying to catch up with various forgotten aspects of this Journey. And then of course the mind, a bit stagnant, starts it’s wandering throughout the images of the past, memories of not too long ago, specially when Friends bring up a situation I in similarity also lived through.
It is always “if I only knew”… I know it becomes an impasse, a place to not even dare visit, but I do, sometimes. They bring up the colors and even the smells of the past, they teach me to maybe have a bit more awareness for the future, at least I think they do.
I can only try over and over.
The images today are of a young racer, Brandon, and his wonderful Father, Brian, both as one supporting each other throughout this passion we call “motorcycle riding”.
The images of the past are what they could have been of today‘… but are not. The deck of cards was full, I just pulled the wrong one!
Be well… always. Ara & Spirit

#8 beemerchef

beemerchef

• Members
  • 341 posts
  • Locationon the road

Posted 17 March 2009 - 02:48 AM

Posted Image

Another day through Big Bend… Texas

With one million acres laid out ahead of us, only a few miles away from “The Oasis”, a Lifetime is not going to be enough to explore it all. And so we keep going back, often without truly a destination in mind, maybe often following Spirit’s own nose pointing. Why not! My favorite however has always been Sotol Look Out and the Rio Grande River, an area where the banks have moved around since the last floods not long ago.
With it’s tall cliffs, a road that has now been cleared, flowers blooming finally announcing Spring around the corner, we had a fine day, a fine long day with the sunshine hanging out for the extra hours this landscape deserves.
This morning, today, it will be a different scenery as we are taking off for Odessa for one more medical check up. The news have been good as I have managed to bring down my cholesterol and triglyceride levels under 200. It gives me hope that this coming summer will not be a struggle in the Health department of this Journey.
More on the Blog…Be well, always…
Ara & Spirit

#9 beemerchef

beemerchef

• Members
  • 341 posts
  • Locationon the road

Posted 22 March 2009 - 12:12 AM

Posted Image

This first day of Spring…
A new page, a new feel, roads yet not taken I feel are awaiting on this first warmer day welcoming us with open arms.
Too much riding lately, as if there is such a thing!
A couple Blogs have been posted with not much time in between… just writing and photos, day after day they are as being transferred from my soul into the pages that keep accumulating to no end.
Road conditions as I found out have changed to the better giving us a chance to ride them with more comfort. Such is Old Maverick Rd, a pleasant surprise. Happy within our own space, however the external dealings sometimes do not create the same results such as with Kiowa Gallery in Alpine taking down my photos without letting me know, for now a month. They do not go hand in hand with “Cowboy Poetry Nights” that took place a while back… That is what I was told finally when discovering such a fact… Life will be Life always dealing with people’s games they play when the word “business” shows up, I still believe in a hand shake… Right or wrong, that is how I now feel… a bit burned about it all.
Be well… Ara & Spirit

*RSS feed as we move on will always let you know about new postings…

#10 beemerchef

beemerchef

• Members
  • 341 posts
  • Locationon the road

Posted 25 March 2009 - 04:52 PM

Posted Image

An eternal circle, Texas

Deeply engaged in a phone conversation, two strangers pull up and start unloading some wood into my existing pile… I am sure this does not happen every day! The rest of the afternoon was a wide open door of a classroom with so much learned from Mike and Louise, 2 free spirited souls on the road now for 14 months. Yes, there are a few of us, vagabonds, travelers, with no roots deeply embedded into only one space. We drag those roots instead and Mother Nature is our textbook, daily, no bells and no whistles, no clock but only tests moments after moments while we learn to survive within this huge mansion which offers us so much wealth and a self recognition unlike any other space.
We have a new addition now to the fire ring that will enable us to cook and have a fire all at the same time. I learned about Wildlife Refuge areas, I even have a new book on how to cook with a Dutch Oven the day we purchase one. New routes from others are like finding gold on this Journey, we have now become even richer!
Amazing how priorities can change, it feels as it’s pyramid has been reversed 180 degrees!!!
Be well… enjoy the Blog… Ara & Spirit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users