10 replies to this topic

#1 coloradoclimber97

coloradoclimber97

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 02:44 PM

Does any one know of a salt water capable portable reverse osmosis water purifier?  I sailed with a guy from Florida to the Bahamas a couple of years ago and I swear he had such a device, but can't seem to find anything when I search online.

I have a trip planned to Baja this winter with an eye toward destinations further south eventually and would love to not have to worry about water (particularly south of Mexico).

Thanks,

Mark

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,535 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 22 November 2018 - 03:08 PM

Katadyn makes one, but it is not cheap... the price is one complete boat unit ($1000).

https://www.amazon.c...r/dp/B000F395X0

There are a bunch of them that are large, bulky and require a non human power source.

I am haunted by waters

#3 Optimistic Paranoid

Optimistic Paranoid

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 03:12 PM

Katadyn makes a few models, but they are crazy expensive. Here's one:

https://www.amazon.c...ASIN=B000F3CH0I

Regards

John

Rule #1 For Wandering The West: DON'T FEED THE VULTURES!

I Don't Like To Make Plans.  They Cause The Word "Premeditated" To Get Used In Court.

My Body Is A Temple!  Ancient, Falling Apart, Probably Cursed . . .

#4 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,535 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 03:21 PM

Katadyn makes a few models, but they are crazy expensive. Here's one:

https://www.amazon.c...ASIN=B000F3CH0I

Wow, 2.4 boat unit$.

I am haunted by waters

#5 patrickkidd

patrickkidd

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 04:29 PM

Just google water maker. There are lots of them out there in the marine world. They are expensive, as with all marine hardware.

#6 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,535 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 04:45 PM

Here’s a good discussion about RO systems.

https://www.westmari...ng-a-Watermaker

I am haunted by waters

#7 coloradoclimber97

coloradoclimber97

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 06:39 PM

Thanks everyone, the links provided were exactly what I was looking for.  I had no idea that ROs where that expensive and finicky -  looks like I need to find another solution.

#8 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 25 November 2018 - 10:57 PM

Internet search for "Solar Still".

Tons of information out there on the web.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

If you are going to be staying at one location all day or multiple days, a solar still can help with fresh water production. If not staying put, then I'm sure you can come up with something on the back or roof of the camper.

The Aquamate Solar Still is commercially produced and similar to what naval aviators (back in the day) carried in a pant leg pocket of their flight suit, except a smaller version. Works both floating and on land. The Aquamate can create clean water between 0.5L & 2.0L per day. depending on conditions.

For the home made solar still (sort of fun for kids to build) can look like this (from the How to Make a Solar Still)...

It can be a science kit for the kids.

Water from the ground is the dirty water source, even works in the dry desert, although water production is lower..

gallery_2702_1229_40625.jpg

Here's a web link to the Aquamate Solar Still Deluxe Water Purification Kit (non-floating - simpler) for those that want to purchase it that way.

For personal use I carry my home made version; a sheet of plastic (get a new one each year) and this cereal bowl as the clean water collector with molded in straw which I connect to a clear aquarium tubing of about 4 feet in length. The plastic folds up and fits inside the cereal bowl along with the tubing. Light weight and small. I practice my solar building skill at least once or twice a year. Just keep everything, the plastic, the water collector and the tubing clean.

gallery_2702_1229_13892.jpg

There are many other types of solar stills. A long time ago I had a home made hard side one that folded up to a flat unit like the size of our common rigid solar electrical generation panels. Carried it on the roof of my old Bronco. Made a couple of gallons of fresh water each day when I was in Baja.

It's just sun light, dirty water, evaporation and a clean water collector.

Edited by Alley-Kat, 25 November 2018 - 10:59 PM.

#9 coloradoclimber97

coloradoclimber97

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 09:16 PM

Thanks Alley-Kat.  Very informative stuff.  Now how do I scale up a solar still to make it practical without taking up so much space in my FWC that I need a trailer.

#10 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 27 November 2018 - 12:35 AM

Now that you know the basics, get creative !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users