• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 patrickkidd

patrickkidd

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 23 November 2018 - 03:11 AM

Hello!

The plywood in the floor and overhand needs to be replaced on my '93 Ranger 2. However, I am looking for a way to seal it temporarily to get another couple of seasons out of it. I plan to gut and rebuild the floor, galley, and dinette but won't have the means to do so for another couple of years.

Anyone have an idea on how to do this? Maybe some kind of sealing paint? I'll just be ripping it right out once I do my rebuild.

Good Times.

Thanks!

IMG_0817.jpeg IMG_0818.jpeg IMG_0819.jpeg

#2 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 23 November 2018 - 04:55 AM

Search for “wood rot stabilizer” & see if any of those products would buy the time you need. I haven’t used them but it seems to be a common problem with some solutions.

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#3 patrickkidd

patrickkidd

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 23 November 2018 - 06:23 AM

Search for “wood rot stabilizer” & see if any of those products would buy the time you need. I haven’t used them but it seems to be a common problem with some solutions.

Paul

Wow. That is exactly what I’m looking for, thanks.

#4 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 23 November 2018 - 05:39 PM

Its continually exposed, even replacing the wood won't last long. I sealed mine and then covered it with some light gauge galvanized steel sheet. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#5 DanoT

DanoT

• Members
  • 278 posts
  • LocationSun Peaks, B.C.

Posted 23 November 2018 - 08:44 PM

"PC Petrifier". From the label: wood hardener for rotted wood. Restore, Salvage, Strengthen, Soft or Rotted Wood.

It worked great on the wood gunwales on my 45 year old canoe.

I got it at a building supply place

1991 Dodge CTD, owned since new. 2011 Coyote RV Phoenix pop-up camper, custom made for the Canadian winter.

#6 Mthomas

Mthomas

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • LocationNorth Tahoe

Posted 26 November 2018 - 04:02 PM

There are some products like this in the boating world that are essentially thinned epoxies marketed as "penetrating". They work OK but do not really contribute any real structural strength. For this application I think it would be ok. A simple layer of epoxy might be just as good as long as you are not counting on it to fix the problem, but simply to kick the can down the road a bit. Seems like winter would be the time to tear into the project if you were going to rebuild it.

this is the most prevalent http://www.boatlife.com/git-rot/

Edited by Mthomas, 26 November 2018 - 04:10 PM.

2018 Hawk FD 2016 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD

#7 patrickkidd

patrickkidd

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 05:34 PM

There are some products like this in the boating world that are essentially thinned epoxies marketed as "penetrating". They work OK but do not really contribute any real structural strength. For this application I think it would be ok. A simple layer of epoxy might be just as good as long as you are not counting on it to fix the problem, but simply to kick the can down the road a bit. Seems like winter would be the time to tear into the project if you were going to rebuild it.

this is the most prevalent http://www.boatlife.com/git-rot/

Ha! Winter is when I want to camp the most! You can't ski in the summer...

Thanks for the tips.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users