Photo

Any update on the new crop of flex solar panels ?

Solar Flex panels

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#11 jimjxsn

jimjxsn

• Members
  • 599 posts
  • LocationRoxborough Park or Buena Vista CO

Posted 24 November 2018 - 05:32 PM

Over the summer, I mounted 2 of the Solar Blvd 120w flex panels onto twin wall polycarbonate greenhouse panels attached to an aluminum frame.  They are through a Victron 100/20 controller. However the frame and panels ended up being very light weight.  The greenhouse panels and solar panels are mostly held down to the 1x1 aluminum frame with VHB tape and a few sheet metal screws.

I can't give any feedback because I don't really have many days usage off grid for any length of time.  I hope to add a Victorn BMV monitor this spring so I can actually see what is happening...

20180930_171214-X2.jpg

Edited by jimjxsn, 24 November 2018 - 05:55 PM.

~Jim
2000 Tundra AC- 2000 FWC Ranger

2017 Tundra DC - 2017 ATC Panther

#12 Yubaman

Yubaman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationColfax, CA

Posted 24 November 2018 - 05:42 PM

check this out

https://itechworld.c...le-solar-panels

2014 Tacoma, 2012 Eagle

#13 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 03:36 AM

I understand that the plastic panel provides air circulation when a vehicle is moving....

and Jjmixn's get a lot of air space up off his roof.

But I wonder if some sort of heat sink is whats' needed to draw away heat generated by the panel itself.

Hmmmmm....?

#14 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 25 November 2018 - 04:59 PM

Sausage sizzles at hardware stores? Australia is so much more advanced than we are ;(

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#15 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 25 November 2018 - 05:30 PM

I like it! And the sausage! Win win. Any cyber Monday deals on flex panels?

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#16 Redfish

Redfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationNorth-Central Florida

Posted 01 December 2018 - 11:48 AM

David,

I don't know if my panels qualify as part of the "new crop," but I'm using two 100 Watt GoPower flexible panels https://gpelectric.c...EX-100_RevD.pdf.

They were installed in April 2016 by AT in Prescott at the time I picked up my 2016 Fleet, so they have been in place for 3+years. They are attached directly to the roof using tape.

I last measured their output on March 6, 2018 on a clear day at noon on level ground in north Florida with an ambient temperature of 80 degrees using a multi-meter on the wiring immediately before the solar controller (because I don't have an actual battery monitor, just the meter on the GoPower solar controller).

I measured 19.5Voc and 8.6 amps for the 2 panels. The specs call for maximum output of 20.5Voc and 11.36 amps under ideal conditions, so the panels were operating at about 75% efficiency (8.6/11.4 amps) on that day under those conditions, which were good but not ideal.

Unfortunately, I don't have a benchmark other than this one measure, so I don't know if performance has changed over time.

Hope this helps. 

Jeff

2016 Tacoma 4x4 V6 SR5 AT

2016 FWC Fleet

#17 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 02:22 PM

Thanks Jeff

What sun/weather conditions have your panels been used in ?

Does the truck stay outside or garaged ?

Do you see any sort of wear on the panel itself ?

David Graves

#18 Redfish

Redfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 12:12 PM

David,

Over the past 3 years, my camper has been on my truck 4-6 months out of the year (between May-October). 95% of its use has been in the Intermountain West. For example, this summer I was in WY, ID, and MT July-October, with all of the usual weather and conditions one would expect, from hot and sunny (100F+) to snowy, cloudy and cold (low of 8F). 

I have the usual appliances in my 2016 Fleet with 2 AGM 12V batteries: furnace, 2-way 85L fridge, Fantastic fan, LED lights, plus I charge a phone, tablet and gps. I tend to be very conservative when solar conditions are not ideal (e.g., thermostat at 45 degrees when snowing or raining or cloudy for multiple days). Under average conditions and use, my two panels and the GoPower controller have no trouble maintaining the batteries and running through the default charging profile (albeit with the usual caveats about inadequate charging profile discussed at length on this forum). When it's consistently cloudy/rainy/snowy for multiple days then the battery SOC slowly declines because panels can't generate enough juice to trigger bulk charging. Still, I infer from closely watching my controller monitor voltage and referencing battery SOC charts, that I rarely discharge my batteries below 60%, and usually not below 80%, but I don't really know because I don't have a true SOC battery monitor. 

When on my truck, the camper is outside; when not on my truck, it's stored under cover in our carport. The panels appear to be in good condition, albeit with some slight cloudiness. I need to contact GoPower to see if they recommend a particular polish or cleaner. I have driven through some low-hanging tree branches and tested the height of a public parking garage ceiling and they don't have any noticeable scratches. 

In retrospect, I wish that the panels weren't attached directly to the roof and wouldn't make that choice again, and would probably go with one of the lightweight mounting solutions discussed here. I dread having to replace these one day. I wouldn't hesitate to buy these particular panels again, because I really like the low profile, weight, toughness and performance (so far). You might want to contact Martyn Davies at Adventure Trailers in Prescott to get his first-hand experience with the longevity and performance of these particular panels since they sell and have installed many of them.

Let me know if I've adequately answered your questions. Good luck on your decision.

Cheers,

Jeff 

2016 FWC Fleet

#19 Redfish

Redfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 12:46 PM

Should also have said that I have two 75ah AGM batteries that came from the factory with my 2016 Fleet. 

2016 FWC Fleet

#20 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 02 December 2018 - 03:48 PM

I had two of the SolarBlvd 120W mounted to the roof of my camper, worked great for about a year with the output right where it should be (50 - 80% of rated depending on the time of year).   Then we had an epic hail storm with 5cm diameter hail, which destroyed most of the roofs in our neighborhood and left the roof of the camper looking like the surface of the moon.   Each panel lost one string in that storm, dropping the current output to half what it had been before.     I am impressed that it wasn't worse, the panels have multiple 5dm diameter dents, maybe 1cm or so deep. 

Luckily I had used a removable mounting system, which attached the panels using studs through the mounting grommets.  Unfortunately, solarBlvd changed the dimensions of their panels, so I can't buy and replacements that will mount up to the existing studs.   I am back to my 160W rigid panel, which is a little less power than I would like and also a lot heavier than I would like, leading to an electric roof lift. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Solar, Flex panels

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users