• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#61 a8ksh4

a8ksh4

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 29 August 2019 - 04:57 AM

Well, it's finally in the truck. Lowe's is a couple blocks from here, so I'm going to roll over slowly in the am to get the turnbuckles.

The camper is light enough that I can pick up the sides or back and shift it around in the truck. We'll see how that goes when I load it up with gear. : D

To-do now is:
* Put on the back door
* Fix the rear lower lift bar thing I mentioned
* Finish the wiring
* Address any issues that come up driving around with it over the next few days.
* Finish the bed slide-out.

Edited by a8ksh4, 29 August 2019 - 04:58 AM.

#62 a8ksh4

a8ksh4

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 29 August 2019 - 04:59 AM

Trying again with photos...

MVIMG_20190828_185029.jpeg IMG_20190828_214830.jpeg IMG_20190828_214818.jpeg

Edited by a8ksh4, 29 August 2019 - 04:27 PM.

#63 a8ksh4

a8ksh4

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 29 August 2019 - 04:30 PM

I couldn't find short enough turnbuckles this AM... I found some small, jenky, turnbuckles that are working for today, but I need to move the mounting  eye-bolts on the camper in by a couple of inches to increase distance from the mounting bars in the bed.  This is easy though.  The camper is actually on the truck!  That's a win!  I'll fix the mounts tonight and then can drive a little more aggressively to give it a shake-down and see what I can break before I take it anywhere. 

#64 a8ksh4

a8ksh4

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 31 August 2019 - 04:28 AM

More progress! I moved the eye bolt things for the turnbuckles and got it attached to the truck more properly with some larger turnbuckles.

Also pulled off the lower part of the lift by the door and shortened it by four inches and it works much better, although the vinyl on the door end isn't quite as tight now.

Also put on the new door! This was a bit of a splurge, but we wanted a screen and the old one was pretty thrashed.image-20190830_171812.jpeg image-20190830_173622.jpeg MVIMG_20190830_211925.jpeg

#65 a8ksh4

a8ksh4

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 31 August 2019 - 04:45 AM

Btw, the roof is damn heavy at the bed end where I put the solar panels. No wonder everyone likes those gas shocks for getting the roof up. I'm gonna put my back out lifting it up. Lol.

Edited by a8ksh4, 31 August 2019 - 04:58 AM.

#66 a8ksh4

a8ksh4

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 01 September 2019 - 05:59 AM

Today was our first official day off vacation. Hoping to be in the road tomorrow afternoon.

We finished the slide out bed, put in lenoleum flooring, built a dinning table to use the old table pillar setup, sewed up new curtains, bought some nice cussions to sit on... Worked all day! Photos will come tomorrow. Everything new needs paint, but that'll wait a few weeks.

I ran into a little trouble with the electrical this morning. Had to wait until the Ms could look at it to figure out that I crossed up some wires. :D. She's better at electrical than I am. Should go pretty quickly tomorrow turning on the lights, fan, and solar! I picked up a cheapy deep cycle battery at the auto parts store to use this month, but hope to build a more proper lifepo4 pack later.

We can manage the heavy roof if I lift it and my wife clips in the support bars. We might look into some of those crank up speaker supports that I've seen mentioned on here before. I worry about snow load on the roof. Does anyone have any anecdote to share about snow on these old campers?

Edited by a8ksh4, 01 September 2019 - 06:01 AM.

#67 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 02 September 2019 - 12:20 AM

Enjoy your break. You deserve it !

I've been following along in the shadows but want to say great job on the rebuild and documentation, I'm sure it will be referenced by others.

Happy travels

#68 a8ksh4

a8ksh4

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 02 September 2019 - 03:12 AM

Thanks for the kind words!

OMG, what happened here?

MVIMG_20190901_200209.jpeg IMG_20190901_200248.jpeg

Edited by a8ksh4, 18 September 2019 - 05:08 AM.

#69 Living The Dream

Living The Dream

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • LocationFront Range, Colorado

Posted 02 September 2019 - 03:13 AM

Today was our first official day off vacation. Hoping to be in the road tomorrow afternoon.

We finished the slide out bed, put in lenoleum flooring, built a dinning table to use the old table pillar setup, sewed up new curtains, bought some nice cussions to sit on... Worked all day! Photos will come tomorrow. Everything new needs paint, but that'll wait a few weeks.

I ran into a little trouble with the electrical this morning. Had to wait until the Ms could look at it to figure out that I crossed up some wires. :D. She's better at electrical than I am. Should go pretty quickly tomorrow turning on the lights, fan, and solar! I picked up a cheapy deep cycle battery at the auto parts store to use this month, but hope to build a more proper lifepo4 pack later.

We can manage the heavy roof if I lift it and my wife clips in the support bars. We might look into some of those crank up speaker supports that I've seen mentioned on here before. I worry about snow load on the roof. Does anyone have any anecdote to share about snow on these old campers?

Be careful with snow on the roof. I had some heavy early season snow on my roof last year and didn't brush the snow off before dropping the top (snow had fallen over night with roof up). The roof came crashing down and I actually managed to sandwhich my head between the roof and the cab over bed. It was not a good situation. Really messed up my neck taking a heavy roof straight to the head...  I now always just push the snow off before messing with the roof (up or down). I'd suggest you do the same. 

My youtube channel about my Four Wheel Camper - https://www.youtube.com/c/timmorrissey

All about my camper - https://www.tgmorrissey.com/camper

Item I used in my build- http://bit.ly/TGMorrisseyParts

#70 Living The Dream

Living The Dream

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • LocationFront Range, Colorado

Posted 02 September 2019 - 03:14 AM

Thanks for the kind words!

OMG, what happened here?attachicon.gifMVIMG_20190901_200209.jpegattachicon.gifIMG_20190901_200248.jpeg

Looks stellar! 

My youtube channel about my Four Wheel Camper - https://www.youtube.com/c/timmorrissey

All about my camper - https://www.tgmorrissey.com/camper

Item I used in my build- http://bit.ly/TGMorrisseyParts

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users