• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 niknoid

niknoid

• Registered (Tapatalk)
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 05:12 PM

I'm new to this forum and looking to outfit my Tundra with a pop-up truck camper. I'm having some trouble researching the orientation of the bedding in these rigs.

I'm tall so I'm trying to confirm which units have the bedding setup length-wise to the truck rather than width-wise?

#2 jimjxsn

jimjxsn

• Members
  • 599 posts
  • LocationRoxborough Park or Buena Vista CO

Posted 24 November 2018 - 06:12 PM

If you are looking at the FWCs and ATCs, most beds are east/west (across the camper).  I have an ATC Panther on my Tundra and it is 84 inches wide.  I'm 6'2" and have no problem sleeping across, neither my head/pillow or feet touch the sides.  Both brands have extensions to the bed which allow for pretty wide beds as well. 

The standard extension is 18 inches and you end up with a queen sized bed. The ATC has an overcab of about 48 inches so you would need at least a 24" extension to get to 6 ft.

My old camper was a FWC with a long extension on the bed which gave me about 6 ft length sleeping north/south.

ATC does custom work and they can do a longer extension.  I am tempted to have them make me an extension and cushions to give us a king sized bed.

~Jim
2000 Tundra AC- 2000 FWC Ranger

2017 Tundra DC - 2017 ATC Panther

#3 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 24 November 2018 - 10:21 PM

Our full sized campers (Raven, Hawk, and Grandby) can be order with the "King Slide-out" option that would allow you to sleep either direction (East/West) or (North/South).

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#4 Atlin

Atlin

• Members
  • 132 posts
  • LocationSequim, WA; Atlin, BC

Posted 24 November 2018 - 11:10 PM

If you're into building your own, you can build out a camper to have N-S (parallel to truck bed) arrangements.  I built out an ATC to have two singles, one on either side of the camper.  Under the bed in the main part of the camper are the refrigerator on one side and a small closet on the other.  It's nice to have space between the beds for stuff, and also to be able to get in/out of bed without crawling over your partner (assuming you have a partner).  We're much happier with this arrangement than the standard E-W bed.

#5 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 25 November 2018 - 01:04 PM

Welcome to the forum.
Hallmark campers ( www.hallmarkrv.com ) offers the North/South bed option you are asking about. An additional benefit is that you also get what we call "nightstands" on each side of the bed that allows us to store a weeks worth of clothes.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#6 penner

penner

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 03:30 PM

We went with the 72" wide Ocelot from ATC. Our bed extends out to 76" x 70" wide  . I'm over 6ft so we sleep N/W. I think most Ocelots are 78"wide , but the 72 suits us fine for our use. Got the shell with furnace and did my own mods. 

#7 trikebubble

trikebubble

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 04:46 PM

I have a Hawk on my Tundra, I'm 6'2" and have no problems sleeping East/West on the regular Queen size bed.

#8 Mthomas

Mthomas

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • LocationNorth Tahoe

Posted 26 November 2018 - 04:04 PM

We went with the 72" wide Ocelot from ATC. Our bed extends out to 76" x 70" wide  . I'm over 6ft so we sleep N/W. I think most Ocelots are 78"wide , but the 72 suits us fine for our use. Got the shell with furnace and did my own mods. 

NW? Take up the whole bed  :D

2018 Hawk FD 2016 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD

#9 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 26 November 2018 - 05:40 PM

^ or a really bad back ...

^_^

#10 niknoid

niknoid

• Registered (Tapatalk)
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 10:15 PM

Wow! Thanks all! You've given me some start points for research, much appreciated. Life would be easier if I didn't sleep like a starfish!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users