• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 GT-Jim

GT-Jim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 01:10 AM

Anybody got an idea why my 2018 Silverado diesel is rated for 2416 lbs payload but only 1516 lbs for silde in camper?  I wouldn't think the truck would know the difference between 2400 lbs. of shingles vs 2400 lbs. of camper.

2018 Silverado 2500HD diesel with 2015 Hallmark K2

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,575 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 28 November 2018 - 01:13 AM

Wild guess... because of the higher center of gravity’s effect on suspension.

I am haunted by waters

#3 patrickkidd

patrickkidd

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 01:38 AM

Anybody got an idea why my 2018 Silverado diesel is rated for 2416 lbs payload but only 1516 lbs for silde in camper? I wouldn't think the truck would know the difference between 2400 lbs. of shingles vs 2400 lbs. of camper.

A truck’s payload rating includes everything north of the truck itself. That means passengers, gear, water, etc. two people could be 350lbs, plus gear, food, water, gas, all on top of your camper brings you pretty close to your max payload. You want to stay a healthy bit under your max because your truck won’t do super well at the max. It will ride harder and wear faster. You may need to upgrade your rear suspension with airbags or an extra leaf if you are at or just under your max payload rating.

Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) is the total weight including the truck, fluids, and payload. So subtract the actual weight of the vehicle from GVWR and you get your total payload rating.

#4 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 28 November 2018 - 01:59 AM

It may be because of driver and passengers weight assumptions in whatever you're looking at.  With a 900-pound difference, that may be 6 passengers at 150 pounds each.

I say this because I happen to have been looking at the following chart from the manual for my '13 Tundra earlier today.... in the truck camper section.

(Click to enlarge)

CargoWeightRatingTundra13.jpg

The Cargo Weight Rating figure is absurdly low but then we see the table assumes six passengers.

I wondered what the heck they use for a passenger weight and found the NHTSA standard is 150 pounds (at least according to this paper, page 3)

Just a guess....

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#5 Dphillip

Dphillip

• Members
  • 108 posts
  • LocationOmaha Nebraska

Posted 28 November 2018 - 02:53 PM

I agree with W. Sagebrush, the GM lawyers are assuming a slide in camper would be a large, hard sided, over the cab unit which would dramatically change the center of gravity and promote a roll over. A low profile, light weight pop up camper skews their numbers in my opinion.

I just look in the owners manual of my GMC Sierra and it indeed shows a full size cab over slide in camper and refers about center of gravity.

6D6E12F1-71F0-49C9-9D2F-FB2BDD5DE7D3.jpeg

Edited by Dphillip, 28 November 2018 - 05:30 PM.

Omaha Nebraska

#6 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 28 November 2018 - 05:47 PM

I'd hate to pay extra for a camper package and end up with an unhelpful paper like that !

I'm siding with O.C. and the 150# allotment for each ghost rider "explanation" (if such a thing could ever be determined).

How many seat belts in the cab anyway ??

I disagree that the truck wouldn't know the difference in load make up, say, water level vs high COG. Maybe no difference in the driveway but I bet on a twisty 2 lane highway it would show. That said, I'd use the regular payload number myself.

Edited by klahanie, 28 November 2018 - 05:48 PM.

#7 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 07:18 PM

GT-Jim... There should be a Truck Camper Loading Information label in your Silverado's glovebox.  If you don't mind, can you tell us what it says for CWR (Cargo Weight Rating) and A and B measurements?

Thanks.

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#8 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 09:38 PM

All-

I ran onto this 2018 General Motors Truck Camper Loading document today and see it provides some useful definitions and concepts for this thread (like cargo weight rating, payload, longitudinal center of gravity, A and B dimensions, etc)

And it has some surprising info--- like some GM trucks get a glovebox sticker that says "THIS TRUCK SHOULD NOT BE USED TO CARRY A SLIDE-IN CAMPER" (page 4).  And the Limitations on page 6 are interesting as to what 2018 GM pickups aren't recommended for slide-in campers...

- 1500 crew cab with 5'8" bed

- 1500 with 20" wheels

- Colorado/Canyon pickups

- And 1500s should not be used for "larger, cab-over style slide-in campers"

And I guess the good news is they're making recommendations, not saying "Sorry, buddy, now that I know you want to use it for a slide-in camper, I can't sell it to you".

Happy reading!

#9 GT-Jim

GT-Jim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 12:17 AM

GT-Jim... There should be a Truck Camper Loading Information label in your Silverado's glovebox.  If you don't mind, can you tell us what it says for CWR (Cargo Weight Rating) and A and B measurements?

Thanks.

The sticker shows 33" for the A measurement and 0" for the B measurement. CWR is 1516 lbs.

I agree with patrickkidd, guessing that maybe GM was already compensating for the additional load of 900 lbs. for gear and passengers.

Edited by GT-Jim, 29 November 2018 - 12:59 AM.

2018 Silverado 2500HD diesel with 2015 Hallmark K2

#10 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 02:03 AM

Thanks, GT-Jim.  I appreciate it!

That's what I expected for CWR but that B-dimension is a puzzler.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users