• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#11 GT-Jim

GT-Jim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 03:23 AM

I double checked the sticker, B is shown as 000in.

2018 Silverado 2500HD diesel with 2015 Hallmark K2

#12 shimcoelectric

shimcoelectric

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 10:11 PM

I have a 2016 2500 diesel crew 4 wheel drive 8 ft box, and my "B" is also 0.00...my camper rating is  1032lbs....I think it is crazy, ….they are covering there ass....

#13 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,955 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 06 December 2018 - 12:26 AM

Thanks, GT-Jim.  I appreciate it!

That's what I expected for CWR but that B-dimension is a puzzler.

I would suspect the "B" dimension is the range for CoG.  Meaning, they want you do have as much weight forward as possible.  A CoG behind "B" is a no-no.

From a safety and handling perspective, I totally agree (which is why I probably interpret the graphic that way...doh!)

#14 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 06 December 2018 - 05:13 PM

I'm still struggling with the diagrams in the truck camper loading document.  I must be thinking of something incorrectly as I can't make sense of them with GT-Jim's numbers....

First, I see this diagram (from the link above)....

(click to enlarge)

SilveradoCOGdiagram.jpg

So basically we're trying to determine where the shaded box (the "CG zone") is for GT-Jim's truck via his A and B dimensions.

And if we're interested in where the CG zone falls over the axle, we also need to know where the axle is.  That same document has this table...

SilveradoDCAxleLocation.jpg

I assume GT-Jim has the double-cab and 6'6" bed so his C dimension would be 43.6".  

Applying his A dimension of 33", a B dimension of 0", and a C dimension of 43.6" appears to put the entire CG zone behind the rear axle, doesn't it?  If the front edge of the zone is 33" from the rear of the truck and the axle is 43.6" from it, the front edge of the zone is 10.6" behind the axle.  And a B dimension of zero says the aft edge of the zone is at the tailgate.   So much for keeping the COG ahead of the axle!  (That doesn't make sense so I'm either doing something wrong or there's something else at play here.)

Also-

I called up one of my brothers to ask about his 2015 Silverado 1500, just to get another sample.  His glovebox sticker says CWR=949#, A=66", B=28".  The 2015 version of the truck camper loading document says his C dimension -- the axle--- is 38.9" forward of the bed's back end.  

Now those dimensions make a lot more sense to me.  The front of the shaded area would be 27.1" (66-38.9) ahead of the axle and the rear 10.9" (38.9-28) behind it.  At least the CG zone is over the axle when I use his numbers!

Edited by Old Crow, 06 December 2018 - 07:38 PM.

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#15 jrwdlw

jrwdlw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 12:15 AM

I would bet that the glovebox sticker is wrong. 

I noticed that your second image has a footnote that says, "Dimensions A and B can be calculated by using formula on page 12".  I think we need to see page 12.

#16 jrwdlw

jrwdlw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 12:34 AM

Ok, I found it.  It's part of a document linked earlier in this thread.  It's actually page 13.  We need to know a few more details:

1. Front and rear GAWR
  2. Front and rear weight of truck
  3. Wheelbase

I tried to embed the image of page 13, but couldn't see it in the preview, so I've attached it.

Attached Thumbnails

• Page 13.PNG

#17 GT-Jim

GT-Jim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 01:06 AM

I assume GT-Jim has the double-cab and 6'6" bed so his C dimension would be 43.6".  

You would be correct, it is a double cab.

I would bet that the glovebox sticker is wrong. 

I noticed that your second image has a footnote that says, "Dimensions A and B can be calculated by using formula on page 12".  I think we need to see page 12.

I thought maybe my sticker had an error also until I saw the post from oldcrow that included a camper loading manual including a picture on page 4 of a glove box sticker that showed A=11 and B=1 so I figured maybe my 0 was correct

Ok, I found it.  It's part of a document linked earlier in this thread.  It's actually page 13.  We need to know a few more details:

1. Front and rear GAWR
  2. Front and rear weight of truck
  3. Wheelbase

I tried to embed the image of page 13, but couldn't see it in the preview, so I've attached it.

That makes sense that the sticker number is part of a calculation.  Now I will have to get my truck front and rear weights so I can fill out the worksheet.  Now I'm curious what the figures will come out to.

Thanks guys, it was kinda like solving a puzzle.

#18 GT-Jim

GT-Jim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 December 2018 - 09:13 PM

I don't know why it didn't hit me earlier when Old Crow posted it but 2416 - 900 (6 x 150 NHTSA per passenger) = 1516 which matches what is printed on the camper sticker.  So in answer to my own question, no my truck can't magically tell the difference between a camper and a load of shingles.  It's kind of a dumb sticker if you ask me, it should say "Max payload = 2416 minus weight of occupants".

#19 CSG

CSG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationSouth Central Idaho

Posted 06 January 2019 - 07:17 PM

Minus weight of occupants and all other gear.  My '01 2500HD has a camper rating of about 2400# but it has six seatbealts so the trucks total payload max is about 3300#.  Part of the reason I never replaced my old Lance camper is they've gotten too heavy and the dishonesty from manufacturers helping people to match the proper camper to a customer's truck is appalling.  Go to a dealer with your 2500 truck and they tell you how your truck can carry any camper on the lot.  I can't do a pop-up camper but I wish I could for the LCG.

2002 Lexus LX470

2002 Pleasure-Way Traverse camping van

2001 GMC 2500HD 4x4 EC/LB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users