Photo
- - - - -

Auxiliary or Driving Lights Mounted to Cabover Overhang?

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 28 November 2018 - 08:56 PM

Has anyone mounted auxiliary or driving lights to the underside of the cabover section of their camper?  At this time of year we are often driving on back country roads and looking for campsites well after dark, which can be challenging.  I am thinking about adding some extra lights for this sort of situation (strictly off highway), and don't have or want an aftermarket bumper bar.   It seems that many folks mount lights to their roof racks, and it seems like it would be pretty straight forward to mount lights in a similar position by attaching them to the underneath or front of the cabover (red arrows):

IMG_1107.jpg

The advantage of this would be an easy and stable mount (without a bumper bar), and good angle to minimize the shadows and get good peripheral coverage.    The disadvantage would be possible glare off the hood.   Any experience with high mounted lights, or recommendations for a particular light?

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#2 brokenhornmw

brokenhornmw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 08:59 PM

Has anyone mounted auxiliary or driving lights to the underside of the cabover section of their camper? At this time of year we are often driving on back country roads and looking for campsites well after dark, which can be challenging. I am thinking about adding some extra lights for this sort of situation (strictly off highway), and don't have or want an aftermarket bumper bar. It seems that many folks mount lights to their roof racks, and it seems like it would be pretty straight forward to mount lights in a similar position by attaching them to the underneath or front of the cabover (red arrows):
attachicon.gif IMG_1107.jpg

The advantage of this would be an easy and stable mount (without a bumper bar), and good angle to minimize the shadows and get good peripheral coverage. The disadvantage would be possible glare off the hood. Any experience with high mounted lights, or recommendations for a particular light?

I am adding a light bar to mine one I modify my roof.

#3 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 10:09 PM

Hi Rando

Here in Gods' kingdom a lot of the youthful set mount those 10 zillion watt LED light bars across the roof of their rig above the windshield.

If you could find someone near you with that set up and maybe check it out one night....help you make your decision.

David Graves

North Gods' kingdom (OR)

#4 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 28 November 2018 - 10:47 PM

That is part of the reason I am a little reticent to (a) mount anything to the roof and (B) consider an LED light bar.  It seems to be a bit of an epidemic here as well and is well correlated with the use of poorly aimed blue-to-purple aftermarket headlamp bulbs that scatter all over the place and blind everyone else on the road.    Unfortunately (or fortunately ?) none of my band of merry makers has sunk this low yet, so I would be the guinea pig. 

That said, more light would be useful, and mounting anything to the tupperware that forms the front end of a new Tacoma will be challenging. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#5 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 28 November 2018 - 11:30 PM

DSC_1302%5B1%5D-L.jpg

Bolted through. Won it in a raffle and it doesn't do anything. Glare is an issue with anything mounted up high. Just have to try it and see how much of a problem it is.

My bumper mounted lights do the work. I prefer to drive in daylight but when I have to drive at night it does come in handy.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#6 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 29 November 2018 - 12:42 AM

Craig,

When you say it doesn't do anything, you mean the lights on the camper don't provide usable light, or they don't work, period?

Any suggestions for 4-6" wide pattern lights?

I definitely prefer to drive in daylight as well, but when it gets dark at 5pm, that can be challenging. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#7 brokenhornmw

brokenhornmw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 12:51 AM

I run a light bar on my crawler and love the color and how it lights up a dark road.

I did the same on my trucks lumber rack. It worked well but had a couple shadows from the truck.

So I will put a light bar in the front of the camper and a couple of lights on my bumper to light up any shadows from the truck.

#8 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,771 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 29 November 2018 - 12:52 AM

on your front end is there any spot that you can frame mount a tap the extends out to the front?  

I had two Hellas on the previous truck and currently on the 4 Runner.  I prefer the right side to have a cornering pattern and left a more focused tighter beam that projects down the road. I have a rocker switch that will turn them active.  Low beams the cornering light on and high beams they all are on.  It is just stunning what a good cornering light pattern will give you that fills in all the shadows with no hot spots.   

The new to me Dodge will get the same lights and a simple roll bar tubing to hold them.  Soon as I can book time with my fabricator.

Edit to add I currently use Hella Rallye 4000 , right Corning, left Euro driving.

Edited by pvstoy, 29 November 2018 - 01:12 AM.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#9 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 29 November 2018 - 01:25 AM

Rando, et. al.,

I researched driving lights and light bars before my Alaska trip.

California and many other States as well as British Columbia Canada have laws about headlights, driving lights and other auxiliary lights.

Here is a general summary which may vary from state to state:

1) All front mounted lights (headlights, driving lights, fog lights, spot lights) in use while driving on a public road must be DOT and or SAE compliant.  That information is usually molded in or stamped on the glass or lens or front of the light.

2) No more than 2 sets of lights may be used at a time (i.e. 2 headlights plus 2 driving lights, 2 headlights plus 2 fog lights, 2 headlights plus a spotlight,  etc.)

3) The mounting location and height range is usually specified as a "zone" or area and restricted

4) Driving lights may only be used when the high beams are on and must not be operable when low beams are on (implies same circuit as high beams but not same circuit as low beams)

5) All non DOT/SEA compliant lights must be covered when the vehicle is operating on a public road

6) Use of non-compliant lights is an infraction (e.g. not identified as Dot./SAE compliant, mounted outside  the specified "zone", not properly pointed, too many lights in use, etc)

Now I know these laws are not universally or even regularly enforced. In addition, some folks may object to over regulation. 

Please keep in mind I am only communicating information and I am agnostic on any issue or politics related to these laws.  However, I accept the law and do my best to abide by it even if I disagree with it.

Here is a reference to the California law on headlights and auxiliary lights:

https://law.justia.c...4400-24411.html

I hope this is helpful information and stimulates some research before you spend time and money mounting lights.

Craig

P.S. If you have your brights on and use illegal and far too bright off road lights when coming at me on the highway I reserve the right to turn on my grill mounted 50 watt CO2 laser and burn out the lights on the front of your vehicle.  Apologies if I accidentally vaporize your radiator as well.    ;-)

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#10 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 02:58 AM

Research shows fully 60 percent of American drivers don;t know what that little green symbol on their autos' dash array means....

"YOUR FOG LIGHTS ARE ON, DUMBASS!!!"

Typical in these parts is for folks to drive with fog lamps on 24/7/366....the glare is often blinding to an oncoming vehicle.  

Oh well.

DG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users