• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 wagoneer

wagoneer

• Members
  • 173 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 30 November 2018 - 01:23 PM

Having successfully downsized from a non pop up older Six-Pac I still have one issue. I use 2 x 3 gallon buckets ( with gamma lids and plastic bags)  one for peat moss and the other for the actual toilet. My setup worked well in the old unit but is too large for the 76 Alaskan CO . All I need is a comfy seat . I use these for several other applications like risers and seats and would like to stack them inside the right hand fold open cabinet at the entrance. ( I separate liquid waste from solid ) Any ideas?

1995 Dodge Ram diesel 1976 CO 8 Ft. Alaskan Camper

#2 PackRat

PackRat

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationNovato, CA

Posted 30 November 2018 - 07:15 PM

I believe there are seats available for the standard 5-gallon bucket so if your 3-gallon is just the shorter version with the same dimension up top then your needs for nocturnal #2 are met. Given that old guys need to satisfy a need for multiple #1 uses during the night, you might consider a smaller unit that does not require a seating set up. After a stay in the hospital when I was discharged, they gave me a plastic pitcher-like container with a 3 inch lid on it that stands upright. That has been my go-to #1 option for nocturnal visits ever since.

I can safely dispose of that liquid in the morning and rinse it out for the next night's needs.  Not sure what your disposal arrangement for #2 is, I assume you remove any used plastic bag each day and bring them home but that seems a bit funky to me and might be a bit of a problem in the heat of summer. You might consider a Porta-Potti that fits nicely in that RH bi-fold "closet" for #2 and it can be set out on the floor prior to bedtime along with the plastic #1 container. That way you probably won't fill up the Porta-Potti too fast.

If you are going solo that should work, if you have a wife to consider, the Porta-Potti set-up is for her nocturnal visits (or others if necessary depending on camping locations & restroom availability) and will be the only way to convince her to go anywhere but a camping spot with dedicated RRs. Even then, if one or both of you are used to going #2 at night, something like that is worth having.

Look them up on line to see if they work for you and consider the plastic alternative for your nighttime visits because it precludes the squatting on old knee joints!

Toilet PORTA-POTTI 245.jpg

1988 Ford F-250 HD Lariat 4x4 8 Ft. bed

1976 Alaskan 8 Ft. CO camper

#3 wagoneer

wagoneer

• Members
  • 173 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 03 December 2018 - 02:17 PM

Been using the 2 bucket peat moss system for 5 years I go almost a month without dumping and with the Gamma lid I get no odor. Even when I was in my trusty 21 foot Holiday Rambler with a toilet I never used it just the buckets, i don't like using dump stations. Looking at my last week at work. Never not worked ever. I believe I have solved the throne problem

Edited by wagoneer, 03 December 2018 - 02:17 PM.

1995 Dodge Ram diesel 1976 CO 8 Ft. Alaskan Camper

#4 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,948 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 03 December 2018 - 04:43 PM

after the month, where do you dump that much waste?

#5 EM4

EM4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, originally Vancouver BC

Posted 03 December 2018 - 06:05 PM

after the month, where do you dump that much waste?

Thats a good question Vic, and I hope Wagoneer answers it. What is a gamma lid exactly or am I missing something.

#6 Bseek

Bseek

Gypsy Feet

• Members
  • 448 posts
  • LocationSonora, Ca Sierra Foothills

Posted 07 December 2018 - 12:23 AM

Thats a good question Vic, and I hope Wagoneer answers it. What is a gamma lid exactly or am I missing something.

A gamma lid is a screw ring that pounds on the five gallon bucket then the lid is threaded to create a fairly good seal. I have used them for years for dog food and charcoal outdoors. Keeps minor critters out. About $7 if I remember correctly.
Subaru Outback Gypsy Wagon
2013 Toyota Tacoma DCLB : 2015 ATC Bobcat shell
By the way, it's Brenda   https://sierrashadow.wordpress.com/

#7 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 07 December 2018 - 11:23 AM

Subscribed...

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#8 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 07 December 2018 - 01:10 PM

Using Gamma lids for many things over the years...never thought of using one for human waste.

Gamma lids at Amazon.

Toilet seat for 5 gallon bucket.

Now we only need an entrepreneur to devise a toilet seat that works with the gamma seal! 

But after all said and done, might be at the same price point as a Porta-Potti.

South Carolina Low Country.  

#9 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,103 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 07 December 2018 - 08:58 PM

. . . Now we only need an entrepreneur to devise a toilet seat that works with the gamma seal! . . .

1 slightly used toilet seat (hinges removed)

+ 1 piece of 1/2" plywood

+ 1 jig saw

+ four #10 X 3/4" flathead wood screws

= all the comforts of home (well not quite, but much more comfortable than the lug-a-loo seat).

seat bottom.jpg  seat on.jpg

Black Gamma Seal lid not showing up well.

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#10 EM4

EM4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, originally Vancouver BC

Posted 07 December 2018 - 09:14 PM

A gamma lid is a screw ring that pounds on the five gallon bucket then the lid is threaded to create a fairly good seal. I have used them for years for dog food and charcoal outdoors. Keeps minor critters out. About $7 if I remember correctly.

I guess that is the same thing as the container you get chlorine pucks in and you can get a months #2 in them?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users