#1 Yubaman

Yubaman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationColfax, CA

Posted 30 November 2018 - 05:28 PM

I am trying to understand why the combustion intake needs to be routed outside. Shouldn't cabin air be fine for combustion? 

2014 Tacoma, 2012 Eagle

#2 Yubaman

Yubaman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationColfax, CA

Posted 30 November 2018 - 06:23 PM

I am trying to understand why the combustion intake needs to be routed outside. Shouldn't cabin air be fine for combustion? 

Karl at Westy just told me you wouldnt want to rob the air you breath, I was intending to always have make-up air from a slightly open window. But hes got me thinking. 

2014 Tacoma, 2012 Eagle

#3 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,898 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 30 November 2018 - 07:43 PM

Inside air would burn, of course.... but yeah, you don't want to deplete the breathable air in the camper. 

On a different note, you have to route the exhaust outside anyway, so why is this even an issue in your install?

#4 Yubaman

Yubaman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationColfax, CA

Posted 30 November 2018 - 09:51 PM

Inside air would burn, of course.... but yeah, you don't want to deplete the breathable air in the camper. 

On a different note, you have to route the exhaust outside anyway, so why is this even an issue in your install?

Each penetration of the skin is a pain in the ass. Just trying to think of good options.. maybe I am thinking too much. Going straight down is what they are designed for, not going out the side. 

2014 Tacoma, 2012 Eagle

#5 iowahiker

iowahiker

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • Locationiowa

Posted 30 November 2018 - 10:04 PM

Using inside air for combustion would increase the chances of carbon monoxide poisoning in the event of a heater malfunction.  Also, most new state-of-the-art furnaces use outside air to be more fuel efficient and this is especially true for Propex by design.  Propex preheats the intake air with exhaust with a heat exchanger.  Using inside air for combustion would increase the exhaust temperature going outside while sucking in cold air into the camper (and so bypass the heat exchanger) which would reduce furnace efficiency.

Edited by iowahiker, 01 December 2018 - 01:06 PM.

#6 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,898 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 30 November 2018 - 11:48 PM

Here is how I did mine:

IMG 0209
IMG 0215
IMG 0205

#7 Taku

Taku

Buffalo Rockface

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 01:00 AM

I just ran mine alongside the camper within the cargo box. Exhaust is similar to Vics. Has been working fine for five years.

2005 Tundra  2013 Ocelot    "Ridiculously comfortable"

2021 Tundra 2022 Cougar Shell Built Out  "Even more ridiculously comfortable"

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: propex, heater

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users