15 replies to this topic

#1 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 30 November 2018 - 09:45 PM

Last time I was out, out of my three cheapo lighters only one worked. I like stuff that works. Before I begin I will admit you can purchase many handfuls of cheap lighters for what you pay for one of these. However, all these are windproof. The three battery operated lighters have continuous ignition. 

KIMG0063%5B1%5D-L.jpg

Top one is an Olympian GM-3X. Crazy long but if you like using flammable liquids on your campfire it could save some hair :) Relatively easy to use. I wish adults could buy non child proof lighters but oh well.

Second one is an Infinitylite. Also crazy long but difficult to use. Gloves or frozen hands would not work well with this one. I'll use it at home for the bbq.

Third one is a Bernzomatic, non battery and only sorta windproof but its the easiest to use of the bunch.

Fourth we have a Zippo. Also very easy to use and windproof.

All these are refillable butane lighters. 

Finally a cheapie throwaway lighter.

Without a long term test, my favorites are the Bernzomatic and the Zippo.

Butane. Purchasing butane was interesting. Amazon (and probably others) won't ship it. Rite Aid manager told me the paper work to sell it makes it not worth carrying. Sent me to the smoke shop next door. After wandering past the bongs and assorted paraphernalia (I'm not even sure if they had tobacco) I found the butane. You have to show ID, sign a sheet with your address and then can carry out as much as you like. He looked at me a little strange when I said just one. Honey Do brand. Not very subtle :)

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#2 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,760 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 30 November 2018 - 10:57 PM

Quite the selection. I have been using the cheap red ones, yea they are ok but struggle at higher elevations to light. Back up is a box of wood matches.

Good luck with your search.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#3 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 01 December 2018 - 12:49 AM

Always keeps some matches around. Hard to light the water heater with a match though.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#4 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,760 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 01 December 2018 - 12:56 AM

On the Casita hot water heater I used a propane torch.. It heated up the gas valve to open and lit the burner.  It was painfully long to light.  It did not help that the propane line was super long and no way to bleed it.

To extend a wood match, take a metal cloths hanger and take apart and twist the end to accept a wooden match slid in.  the other end make it long enough and bend up a "T".  Slide the wood match in the end, light the match and push it in next to the burner.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#5 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 01 December 2018 - 02:46 AM

Hi craig333
Thanks for the review as I was just using a few choice words on ( drumroll) yep number 5.
Where do you pick up 3/4 lighters. Amazon or a camping store. Thanks Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#6 camper rich

camper rich

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 05:35 AM

Check Amazon or Ebay for the flamless rechargable electric candle lighter. We have completely swiched over to them. They recharge by USB.
https://www.ebay.com...51934414?chn=ps

Edited by camper rich, 01 December 2018 - 05:36 AM.

#7 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,895 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 01 December 2018 - 07:10 AM

Do those work for lighting fires too?  I thought they just made a spark?

#8 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 01 December 2018 - 02:38 PM

Thanks for the link camper rich.
Why do you use the one with AAA and not a rechargeable?

Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#9 camper rich

camper rich

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 04:19 PM

We actually have 3 of them, one uses batteries, and the other two are rechargable. They work really well when lighting propane or gas stoves, I just tried one on a piece of paper and it did light it, the paper then could be used to light the fire. If we do make a fire, I usually add a little gasoline before lighting, and the arc will definitely ignite that.

It is not just a spark, it is a continuous arc about 3/16" across.

#10 muttmaster

muttmaster

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 04:28 PM

We actually have 3 of them, one uses batteries, and the other two are rechargable. They work really well when lighting propane or gas stoves, I just tried one on a piece of paper and it did light it, the paper then could be used to light the fire. If we do make a fire, I usually add a little gasoline before lighting, and the arc will definitely ignite that.

It is not just a spark, it is a continuous arc about 3/16" across.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users