186 replies to this topic

#51 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,592 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 17 January 2019 - 11:04 PM

We had light snow here (Bend, OR) yesterday -- less than half an inch on the ground...but overnight we got freezing rain.  :(   :o

My [parked-outside] car this morning had a glaze of ice maybe 1/8 inch thick, as did my front steps and everything else.  Fortunately for me I had nowhere to go until 10 am, and by that time the sunshine had broken the freeze.  Car was still ice covered, but the ice slid off easily with application of scraper.  My little-traveled and shady neighborhood road, however, was very slick -- the slightest application of brakes activated ABS as I made my way out...

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#52 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 18 January 2019 - 03:04 AM

Well the weirdest winter in some time continues here. Real winter is all around us but not here. St Louis gets 12" of snow and we get nothing. We have had a couple months of above average temps and no snow. Not that I am complaining but it is weird.

Middle of January and we saw a large flock of robins on our walk today- that is just weird for the middle of January here. Used to be the first robin sighting was a harbinger of spring.

The forecast is for more normal temps this weekend as the polar vortex breaks apart and we become the arctic for a few days. But still- we have not been below zero yet this year and no snow on the ground here. The news said winter temps are now on average 5° warmer than in 1970. Climate change for sure.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#53 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,760 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 18 January 2019 - 08:30 PM

Just spent 13 days in Yellowstone NP and did not need toe or hand warmers. Nor needed to wear heavy down clothing. First time in 7 trips in January it was this warm.

Edit added more text and spell checked

Edited by pvstoy, 20 January 2019 - 07:42 PM.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#54 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,255 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 20 January 2019 - 03:52 PM

Pounding thunderstorm rolling over right now. 44° for a low this morning. Strange winter this year.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#55 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,592 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 20 January 2019 - 05:57 PM

I woke up to 2 inches of heavy wet snow, weighing down tree branches...but - fortunately - already plopping and dripping off of the trees. It's 35°F here at 10 a.m. and no precip at the moment.

Home-Snow-093645.jpg

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#56 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,758 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 20 January 2019 - 10:33 PM

Snow to rain here;we seem to be on the edge of that major storm hitting the Sierras this time!  We went three days w/o a Bob walk because of the ice and snow! Spent the time inside putting mink oil, etc. on my two new pairs of leather boots (one pr Wolverine 10", one pr Rockport Redemption Moc toes-great x-mas/birthday) and getting them ready for the woods! Oh I got a cat too to deal with the mice problem I've had since my old cat died a while ago! A four year old female named Sadie and boy I forgot how much different they are from dogs although "Bob" dolesn't seem to care-he likes everyone and every thing! Rain coming down pretty hard now, but understand the high country is really recharging the snow pack!

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#57 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,255 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 22 January 2019 - 12:16 AM

Pounding rain, lightning, thunder, high snow levels yesterday. Woke up to 6" of snow this morning. We installed LED worklights on the tractor Saturday. They work great! :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#58 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,053 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 23 January 2019 - 02:29 PM

Been a roller coaster here in NE ...super cold and windy after 14" snow... now a jump of 50 degrees by tomorrow with rain... then at night back down to 15º .... my driveway has been renamed the "luge". 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3709.jpg
  • IMG_4200.jpg

Edited by buckland, 23 January 2019 - 02:30 PM.

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#59 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 24 January 2019 - 03:54 AM

I'm not doing the Winter Fun Festival for the first time in many years. Tried to get a campsite back in november and it was sold out. Not willing to do it as a day run. However, while we have plenty of snow this year its all sierra cement (so I've heard) and that usually means a lot of winching, digging and so forth. Maybe I'll be glad I didn't go. Otoh, lots of sunshine in the forecast, temps in the low sixties for the next week, maybe I can get some work done around the house.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#60 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 30 January 2019 - 02:37 PM

A bit chilly here this morning- glad we live in the metropolitan heat island! Windchill last night was -50°F when I went to bed. Glad we have a nice warm house to hang out in.

Image-1.jpg

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users