Internal drain line shutoff valve

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 muttmaster

muttmaster

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 03:48 AM

I need some advise on where to install inline shutoff valve that can be accessible in my 2016 FWC Grandby. I read All the wintetizing tips and sagely advise. Saw Stan’s pic on where to locate the line, and I understand it is a 3/8” braided, (why can’t FWC use bigger line to facilitate draining?) flexible line that needs a barbed shutoff valve. Locating the valve inline that is easy to access has me stumped.

If the drain line is under the driver side floor trim, where should I put the shutoff valve without some cutting of wood paneling and trims. I haven’t even tried to find the drain line yet, but the outside drain valve did freeze couple of times already, and I am worried that when it get colder and my drain line is frozen, I won’t be able to drain the tank completely thru the sink via the pump.

I did experiment a bit and tested most of the advise learned on the forum on winter camping. I think installing shutoff valve on the cold and hot outside shower lines may not be necessary if the cabinet is kept open and hot water heater on, running furnace, etc. at least down to 15 f or so. Did use quite a bit of propane camping in the snow, even brought along a 20lb tank to test and experiment. Thanks for any tips.

#2 Bigskyxj

Bigskyxj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 02 December 2018 - 03:46 PM

I relocated my drain valve inside the camper just beside the water tank. It is also near the furnace. I have about 14" of hose between the drain valve and the outside to help prevent freezing of the valve.

46012546552_89ebcf0e82_c.jpgIMGP0306 by bigskyxj, on Flickr

#3 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 02 December 2018 - 04:15 PM

I relocated my drain valve inside the camper just beside the water tank. It is also near the furnace. I have about 14" of hose between the drain valve and the outside to help prevent freezing of the valve.

46012546552_89ebcf0e82_c.jpgIMGP0306 by bigskyxj, on Flickr

MM raises a great question...and I also want to install a shut-off for the same reason...

BUT accessing the water holding tank is a major problem in my '16 Hawk as is removing the trim along the floor at the bottom of the cabinets on the driver's side to expose the drain line..

When folks post they really should also state what year and model FWC they are referring to in the post...there are differences.

Is the drain line 3/8" braided?  I assumed [bad on me] it was the standard 1/2" Pex tubing.  Pex valves are much easier to install that than brass fittings in photo.

Follow up question is where has anyone put in a shut-off valve for the external shower?

Edited by Wallowa, 02 December 2018 - 04:17 PM.

#4 muttmaster

muttmaster

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 04:25 PM

Big sky, thanks for the pics on your Keystone. My newer Grandby configuration is different from yours. If I had so much room to work with as in yours, I would of have installed it already. Your pics showed a nice valve and I will get one like yours.

As for inline shutoff to the outside shower, I had another look under the cabinet and there is no room inline to place a valve unless I want to place it before the T to sink and shower, which will not work for me as I do want hot water to the sink. Line to shower after the T is too short and inaccessible to put in a Seatech valve. Too cramped in there.

#5 muttmaster

muttmaster

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 04:38 PM

Wallows, I read somewhere the drain line is braided and according to Stan’s post, it is suppose to be flexible. As to size of the line, I assume it to be 3/8” as it is that where it goes into the external cheapy shutoff valve on the 30G camper. If it is 1/2” pex, I think it would drain a lot faster instead of waiting for hours and hours. A nice outside drain valve with hose attachment like others have done would be nice. I like to attach a hose to the outside drain valve and dump water into bucket or container to dispose somewhere else beside just let it drain by my truck making a puddle at my camp spot.

#6 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 02 December 2018 - 09:29 PM

Wallows, I read somewhere the drain line is braided and according to Stan’s post, it is suppose to be flexible. As to size of the line, I assume it to be 3/8” as it is that where it goes into the external cheapy shutoff valve on the 30G camper. If it is 1/2” pex, I think it would drain a lot faster instead of waiting for hours and hours. A nice outside drain valve with hose attachment like others have done would be nice. I like to attach a hose to the outside drain valve and dump water into bucket or container to dispose somewhere else beside just let it drain by my truck making a puddle at my camp spot.

I hear you about how long it takes to drain...I assumed the flow was restricted by the tiny drain valve [source of water even if electrical pumping fails] on the back wall of the Hawk.  Draining clean water out of the system is an infrequent event for me, usually at the end of the 'season'; so I just pull uphill on my driveway when draining it.

Yes, figuring out where to valve off the exterior shower fixture/tubing is going to be an issue...

Pex to a degree is flexible, so perhaps that is what Stan was eluding to...braided line would seem an over-kill for that application.  Let us know the OD/ID of that line when you find out.

we find that hot water from the hot water heater is seldom used.  We heat water for meals and add a little for washing up.  Only when we use the outside shower is hot water really needed by us.  We are very miserly about the use of water and have it down to an exacting routine!  I carry on extended trips a 7 gallon water container and we work out of 4 one liter Nalgene water bottles for holding heated and drinking water.

Phil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users