14 replies to this topic

#1 LosAngeles

LosAngeles

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 10:46 PM

? for F 250 owners - options mods etc on custom ordered 2019 or 2020

Hi all

Considering buying a custom ordered Ford F-250. Gasser for sure. 

Advantages are:

with Super Crew I can still get an 8’ bed. Better for an 8’ custom built ATC Cougar camper. The camper would stay on 99% of the time. 

QUESTIONS:

-> The F-250 only seems to come with 3 seats up front, in sort of a bench. I would much rather have an armrest with tons of storage below. Is this somehow possible without major surgery? 

Does that front center seat somehow fold down to make a nice armrest with storage?

-> If I am able to close the tailgate with the F250 with the ATC  - would i just keep it off all the time, anyway?

I’d have to relocate the backup camera to the license plate. Any recommended backup cameras that would have the right harness, so plug and play in place of the tailgate one?

If I get 4x4 and FX4 off road package… it then comes with the 3.73 Electronic Locking Axle. Is this ok? No heavy off roading.

-> I’d get the 9,900 GVWR package. Any disadvantages? Does not cost much to add. :-)

-> Do i want to get the $95 LED Roof Marker / Clearance Lamps? Only for looks. (not spending any other $ on ‘looks’ items.

->Do I want to spend an extra $210 to get Medium Duty Battery?

->Do I want to spend an extra $405 for power sliding window? Seems to be the only rear sliding window available. I can’t imagine a reason to have it… unless somehow want to reach into cab to grab something on the middle of rear seat. It looks way too small to squeeze thru, in case of weird emergency (need to drive off)

-> If I get 4x4 and FX4 off road package… it then comes with the LT245/75Rx17E BSW A/T tires. How are these for FSR and desert washes? 

-> To add cruise control then I have to also add the XL Value package for $1,000. What a rip off. :-(  Any workarounds? 

The person who I will order it thru has Fleet ordering abilities… perhaps cruise control can be ordered on it’s own, without the $1,000 XL Value package.  :-/

Only good thing is the single CD/MP3 player is included with that. 

Anyone know if Bluetooth phone integration comes with that? I would hope so!  :-/

-> To get Sync 3 (Apple Car Play) is a $1,715 package. Ouch. Bummer. I’ll have to sleep on it. I do really like Apple Car Play.

Thanks for any and all thoughts!

L.A.

#2 jrwdlw

jrwdlw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 01:11 AM

LA,

I realize you didn't ask this question, but I would buy a crew cab.  I think they are only 12" longer, although more dollars.  There has only ever been two of us, but we always buy crew cabs.  The space is so nice.  We keep our Engel refer in the back, with a ton of other gear.  Also, if you ever want to sell the truck, there is not near the demand for super cabs vs. crew cabs.  Just a thought.

We bought a 2017 F350 XL CC 4x4 with the gas motor last December, so the following comments are based upon that.  I was like you, going "low bucks".  The truck we bought was an in-stock unit at the commercial side of a large dealership.  Basically, it's a work truck, but had a few things I consider mandatory.  Comments on that as I go along here...

I don't know about super cabs, but a crew cab is available with captains chairs, and a center console.  It's a big dollar option.  We have the standard bench, but cloth (mandatory!).  I had a center seat with a seat back that flips up and down, with storage.  There was also storage under the center seat cushion.  Both were hard to access.  I removed the center section (it's actually a totally separate "unit", and replaced it with a custom center console I made out of aluminum.  There are commercial consoles available, but I have a shop full of tools, so I did it myself.

I'm not sure about the tailgate.  I replaced my standard bed with a flatbed that I built.  I have read comments from people who leave the tailgate on, saying it helps with getting in and out of the camper. 

Backup camera.  I know you can get plug and play replacements.  I'm still struggling without one, as I'm not finished with the camper I'm building. 

Clearance lamps.  I think they look nice too.  Mine didn't have them, so I have to do without. 

Medium duty battery.  I'm not sure which, but some options come with this.  I have snow plow prep, and I think it may have come with that.  I also ended up with the extra heavy duty alternator (again, some package)

Power sliding rear window.  Had one on my 2013 F150.  I think I used it one time.  I'd skip it, there other "mandatory" things you need.

FX4.  I don't have the FX4 package, but I have everything that comes with it, other than the FX4 sticker on the side of the bed.  The "mandatory" in that package is the skid plate and locking rear end.  Don't buy a truck without the locking rear axle.  It's only $390.  To buy and install an aftermarket locking rear end would be $2000+.  I've used mine many times, getting me out of various "situations".  They do make a big difference.

I had the LT245/75Rx17E BSW tires.  They will have painted steel rims.  I was ok with this, but found a set of new 18" take-off tires and rims a week after buying the truck.  Swapped out, and sold the set that came on the truck.  Those tires would probably be ok.  I was going to make due with them.  My axle is a 3.73 ratio.  The 18" tires and rims are 2" taller than the 17".  I think that ratio is ok, but if you're wanting to run 35"-36" tires, you might look at the 4.10 ratio.

9900 GVWR package. I'm not 100% positive, but I think the F250's come standard with a 10,000 GVWR.  I believe the 9900 lb package is for people in states where the truck has to be licensed commercial if it's 10,000 or over.  Mine is a 10,800 GVWR (F350), and it does cost extra for the yearly tags due to this.

Cruise control.  Some of the option packages are really worth the money.  The XL Value package was $720 on my truck, and included the following:  4.2" center stack LCD screen, AM/FM/CD/MP3 with 6 speakers, bright chrome hub covers, chrome front and rear bumpers, cruise control.  If you ask me, this is a bargain, and "mandatory".

Bluetooth.  Only comes with the Sync or Sync 3 package.  Mine has Sync, which was $365.

Power equipment group.  Cost me $1125, and included the following.  Accessory delay, perimeter alarm, power locks, power windows, power tailgate lock, power trailer tow mirrors with heat, remote keyless entry, upgraded door trim panel (on XL).  I think this one is worth the money too.

Trailer brake controller.  This was $270.  I think it can be added later, for nearly the same cost.  I wouldn't own the truck without this.  It's far superior to the aftermarket add-ons.

I have a couple other options that happened to be on the truck.  Electronic shift on the fly $185, engine block heater $90, snow plow package $85, and upfitter switches $165.  The upfitter switches are kind of nice.  It's a row of six switches on the ceiling, that are connected to an access box under the hood.  Makes it really easy to add electrical devices that you want switch controlled.

That was kind of long winded, but I hope it was helpful.

#3 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 09 December 2018 - 01:12 AM

Considering buying a custom ordered Ford F-250. Gasser for sure. Good call to consider. The last time I replied to one of your threads I did a quick build and price and I came to the F250 list price being a few thousand $ cheaper than the HD F150. YMMV.

Advantages are:

with Super Crew I can still get an 8’ bed. Better for an 8’ custom built ATC Cougar camper. Agreed. The camper would stay on 99% of the time. Truck config also has 48G fuel tank

QUESTIONS:

-> The F-250 only seems to come with 3 seats up front, in sort of a bench. I would much rather have an armrest with tons of storage below. Is this somehow possible without major surgery? I think the centre seat is replaceable with a console without affecting the outer seats. Have seen threads about swaps.

eg part from older models

https://www.partrequ...le-173679245773

Does that front center seat somehow fold down to make a nice armrest with storage?

-> If I am able to close the tailgate with the F250 with the ATC  - would i just keep it off all the time, anyway? Up to you. We have a tailgate with a different set up and like it for a bunch of reasons. But, importantly, when open it is at a lower height than the camper floor so you still step up into the camper; would be trickier if on same level to duct thru the hobbit door.

I’d have to relocate the backup camera to the license plate. Any recommended backup cameras that would have the right harness, so plug and play in place of the tailgate one?

If I get 4x4 and FX4 off road package… it then comes with the 3.73 Electronic Locking Axle. Is this ok? Yes, AFAIK. A nice low speed option. No heavy off roading. .

-> I’d get the 9,900 GVWR package. Any disadvantages? Lower than std 10K Does not cost much to add. :-) Might even be no charge

-> Do i want to get the $95 LED Roof Marker / Clearance Lamps? Only for looks. (not spending any other $ on ‘looks’ items. IDK but can see two advantages. First, oncoming traffic at night "might" think you are a big truck and give you more room. Second, on of the light fixtures could be used to route wire thru to roof (eg for 2m antenna)

->Do I want to spend an extra $210 to get Medium Duty Battery? Better described as dual battery, might have uses.

https://www.ford-tru...6-2-gas-v8.html

->Do I want to spend an extra $405 for power sliding window? Seems to be the only rear sliding window available. I can’t imagine a reason to have it… unless somehow want to reach into cab to grab something on the middle of rear seat. It looks way too small to squeeze thru, in case of weird emergency (need to drive off) We like a slider for emergency, but the camper has to have one also. And I wouldn't want to pay that much for one or have it electric. Also would need to check on personal fit.

-> If I get 4x4 and FX4 off road package… it then comes with the LT245/75Rx17E BSW A/T tires. How are these for FSR and desert washes? IDK but I'll mention that we ran the oem AT on our 350 for three years without complaint on thousands of kms of gravel FSRs, some of it quite remote. Yet there were many comments online about those Conti s being "junk" and "the first thing I changed" etc.

Also I see there may be an option for a wider tire (265), might be better for flotation, IDK. Possible for dealer to swap from inventory on lot ??

-> To add cruise control then I have to also add the XL Value package for $1,000. What a rip off. :-(  Note, pkg also includes chrome bumpers. Expect them to be easier to clean bug splatter, might be able to use solvent etc. Also might be worth more for vehicle trade in or sell take off part if put on aftermarket front bumper.

Any workarounds? 

The person who I will order it thru has Fleet ordering abilities… perhaps cruise control can be ordered on it’s own, without the $1,000 XL Value package.  :-/  I'm thinking Fleet only items might need a minimum order of identical units, say 10.

Might also consider optional upfitter switchs.

Additional info 'case you don't have...

https://www.ford-tru...68&d=1520123486 (might not be latest ed.)

https://fordbbas.com/publications

my .02, HTH

#4 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,442 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 December 2018 - 02:29 AM

I got the XLT premium package. Gave me most of the goodies without breaking the bank. I did want the electronic 4WD switch. Don't want to exit the truck in the crap I would be in if I needed 4WD to turn locking knobs.

They all seem to have the snow plow package which comes with that battery I think.... Got the 4WD package.... I figured I was going to be in it a bunch so splurge a bit:)

Crew cab 6 3/4 ft bed. Wasn't driving a 22' monster everywhere...lol 20' is long enough!

Considering a camper to fit inside keeping my tailgate. Like the camera but like the front porch concept and security with a locking tailgate also :)

Good luck!

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#5 searching for nowhere

searching for nowhere

• Members
  • 257 posts
  • LocationWestern Washington

Posted 09 December 2018 - 01:44 PM

Thanks everyone for the good information.  I'm looking at buying a new truck in the next year and have started to surf the truck sites and have found the information not clearly laid out (for me).  I love the Ford product description document  -  information in one place.   

Camping with a small trailer.  Everyday is a good day to go camping.

https://searchingfor.wordpress.com/

#6 XJINTX

XJINTX

• Members
  • 552 posts
  • LocationEddy, TX

Posted 09 December 2018 - 02:23 PM

If they still have the upfitter option you should really get that. As well as tow package so you have brake controller if or when needed. I also concur with crew cab and 4x4. I've removed my back seats for my large dog when along or more storage space when not. I have my Hawk mounted full time and removed tailgate. I was able to get a tailgate camera from JY and it just plugs in. Mounted elsewhere and still have backup camera. Will reinstall tailgate when I sell truck. Mine is a Lariat model and came with the 20 inch rims... I REALLY don't suggest that if you can. Get more rubber with smaller rim... more choices of tires and less expensive replacement if damaged.

#7 LosAngeles

LosAngeles

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 08:13 PM

thanks for all the great info everyone. :-)

I figured out that to get the 2 front seats with the center console, it seems that you have to get the XLT trim. getting the XLT trim with a few various nice things... adds $5,000.

part of that $5,000 is about $1,000 for the front seat center console. Yikes. :-( 

#8 LosAngeles

LosAngeles

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 05:58 PM

Been having fun doing all this research. Thanks everyone for all the great info! 

So a couple things I am wondering about…. 

-—> Is the GVWR only a sticker  - that relates to a statement for commercial trucking that it’ll never carry more? and nothing else is different about the truck? I have conflicting info from a variety of places. Can anyone clarify as to why Ford would put different GVWR stickers on the exact same truck?

-—> I have yet to order truck, or order the ATC/FWC, so if I go ATC I can get the camper to be whatever length I want. I could have it hang a bit over the bumper, or I could get it so I could close the tailgate.

If I am able to close the tailgate with the F-350 with the ATC pop up camper on it…. if I close the tailgate and lock it… it is an extra layer of security? (when I am not in the camper) although if they want in, they could just break a window….

If we were in the camper, could I get locked in the pop up camper if someone raised the tailgate while we were inside? Yes I know there would be an emergency exit window but still…  :-/
With the tail gate off is it easier to enter and exit the camper? 

-—> Should I bother to get the $150 Ford rubber floor? for the truck bed. 
Could they slide in the ACT or FWC with the rubber floor in place?

-—> Many people recommend that I get the 4.30 gears.

I dont plan on towing (I hate towing) and no super serious off roading i dont think. (but yes FSR and desert washes and rough roads. 

Will likely get gasser F350 4x4. SRW for sure. (better for rocks, i am told)

Yes will get Electronic Locking Rear Axle for sure. 

Will likely get the biggest tires available from Ford…. 18” wheels… to avoid spending $$$ on new rims and new tires from the start.

-—> What is the advantage of the 4.30 gears (or 4.10) when always hauling an 8’ ATC or FWC pop up camper?

I dont understand how the different ratios changes how it would behave with different ratios… 

-—> What are the advantages of getting slightly taller tires? I can see why *wider* would be good for off road, but taller? 

-—> Someone suggested that I skip the FX4 package as the shocks are lousy for my situation, but to get Fox 2.0 shocks instead. If I bought the shocks for about $700 for a set, approx how much would it cost me to have someone install them for me? (well above my skill set)

-—> What skid plates would be best to install? cost? Again - not heavy off roading.  

-—> Is anyone driving a 2018 Chevrolet Silverado 3500?

I know the Ford has more advanced bells and whistles, and the Chevy is an older design, but many people like it’s “strong acceleration, good towing manners, top fuel economy and overall livability.” and the Chevy may be a little better value than the F 350.

Thanks!  
J.

#9 Durango1

Durango1

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 12:35 AM

I went through the whole agonizing fun of ordering a new truck this year. Really wanted to go with the Ford but Sioux liked the Ram's cab better. Guess which brand won? Be sure to check on the gas tank size. To meet the below 10.000# GVWR lots of one ton Ford models will only put a 28 gallon fuel tank on them.

I'll also say my 3500 Ram Chassis Cab with the 6.4 gas engine has the 4.30 axle and I'm fine with it. My 2500 Ram before had the 3.73 and I can't really see any difference in mileage. All of these heavy trucks are pigs at the gas station. None of us buy a camper to save gas...

#10 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 11 December 2018 - 01:53 AM

GWVR. 

different GVWR stickers on the exact same truck

Never heard of that, except if it one was a case of a buyer ordering the optional GWVR rating (say 9,900 vs std 10,000). Something to do with registration I think.

Tailgate. Yup you could be locked in and I think ingress is easier without. That said, if camper length is optional I'd look at that as an opportunity to have something different. Either extra rear door security or a slightly longer camper.

OEM tires 17 vs 18". I believe only the 18 AT will be much taller.

Expect the 18 size to be more expensive to replace.

The 18 AT has the highest load capacity - which you might not need (and exceeds RAWR on the 250) but ... if we use the TRA Load and Inflation Table we see that the LT245/75R17 has a max load of 2875# at 70psi and 3020# at  75psi vs the LT275/70R18 psi for same is ~56 and 60 respectively. Meaning, you could run the 18" AT about 15psi lower for the same load on the rear axle, making a significant difference to off highway driving comfort, IME.

Fox Shocks, Skidplate, Chevy vs Ford. Now you're into the realm of personal choice. Personally, after the fun of research and input from others, I'd go back to the starting point of what the project is for and how much I'd want to spend on it.

Myself, I do believe a 2/350(0) can carry a light camper quiet satisfactorily without modification for on and mild-off highway travel. That is one of the reasons for paying more for a "bigger" truck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users