• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,379 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 09 December 2018 - 03:23 PM

We did Baja a year or so ago and enjoyed it a lot so this year we're headed to the mainland for 2 months in the camper w/ the dog! 

We're pretty much ready to go.  Just packing up and finalizing plans.  First stop is San Diego for xmas then...

So far this is what we have.  Cross at Lukeville and head south to a place where the most petroglyphs in N. America are!  After that, head south along the Western side, down past Mexico City, then back up to see the butterflies, Tequila, etc.  No real destinations (we have a ton of recommendations from another Mexico Forum) and we'll see how and where we go.

I doubt I'll do a trip report until we get back.  

We do have a Garmin Mini so we'll have friends "track" us, but we're not worried.  Friends seem more worried that us.  

Kevin

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#2 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 09 December 2018 - 03:30 PM

Interested!

Now that Mexico is a weekend trip for me I'm especially interested in hearing about El Pinacate y Gran Desierto de Altar and beach camping along the east side of the Sea of Cortez while avoiding Rocky Point.

2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

#3 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,264 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 05:35 PM

Hi Kevin

Very exciting for you !

Organ Pipe Cactus Nat. Monument at the Lukeville crossing is a wonderful place to spend a day or two and get to know the environment for that part of the Sonoran desert.

Also, Ajo, AZ is a cool little town with a very beautiful plaza.

Travel fun !

David Graves

#4 penner

penner

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 07:19 PM

Have a good trip Kevin. My Sister and her boyfriend did the mainland thing 2 or 3 winters ago. Never had any problems and it probably helped that she speaks Spanish. Not sure how far down they went but I remember her commenting on how hot it was while in Huatulco. Safe travels!!

#5 RONR

RONR

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • LocationMarin County, California

Posted 09 December 2018 - 09:18 PM

What an adventure! Good for you guys. Can’t wait to hear about it when you’re back. Have fun!!!

#6 XJINTX

XJINTX

• Members
  • 552 posts
  • LocationEddy, TX

Posted 10 December 2018 - 12:48 PM

I will be VERY interested in how you get the FWC registered for temporary entry. I'm trying to quiz  the Banjercito government agency. I know Baja is not that particular but mainland is :( I'm having a hard time explaining a slidein.

#7 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,379 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 10 December 2018 - 02:04 PM

I will be VERY interested in how you get the FWC registered for temporary entry. I'm trying to quiz  the Banjercito government agency. I know Baja is not that particular but mainland is :( I'm having a hard time explaining a slidein.

It can't be that uncommon but we'll see.  I don't remember what (or if) we did anything when we went to Baja.  It was easy.  In Idaho, the FWC isn't registered (no license or registration) so I'm not sure if that matters.  

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#8 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,379 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 10 December 2018 - 02:04 PM

What an adventure! Good for you guys. Can’t wait to hear about it when you’re back. Have fun!!!

And we want to know about your AK trip!  Are you taking the ferry?  That's on our list!

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#9 XJINTX

XJINTX

• Members
  • 552 posts
  • LocationEddy, TX

Posted 11 December 2018 - 12:44 PM

It can't be that uncommon but we'll see.  I don't remember what (or if) we did anything when we went to Baja.  It was easy.  In Idaho, the FWC isn't registered (no license or registration) so I'm not sure if that matters.  

I don't mean for registration in USA. You will be going past the 26 mile mark so need the vehicle registered in Mexico. It's the 6 month temp registration through Bamjercito. I have heard the full size truck with Slidein camper puts you past their gross weight limits? I realize Baja does not require that registration but you have to get for mainland. I hope I'm worried about nothing but will follow your posting.

#10 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,379 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 11 December 2018 - 01:08 PM

I don't mean for registration in USA. You will be going past the 26 mile mark so need the vehicle registered in Mexico. It's the 6 month temp registration through Bamjercito. I have heard the full size truck with Slidein camper puts you past their gross weight limits? I realize Baja does not require that registration but you have to get for mainland. I hope I'm worried about2090 N Eagle Rd,

nothing but will follow your posting.

Yes, I understand and the process is similar to Baja.  No issues when we did Baja w/ the same rig.  I doubt we're any heavier than a lot of other vehicles so I think we'll be fine.  

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users