5 replies to this topic

#1 hoyden

hoyden

Lady Bug

• Members
  • 1,459 posts
  • LocationCarbondale, IL

Posted 12 December 2018 - 01:46 PM

Can it be put in washer and dryer, or does it need to be taken to a cleaners, or dry cleaned?

thanks!

https://no-destination.org/ .:.  https://razorgirls.org/

2014 Tacoma DCLB + 2015 FWC Fleet

As I get braver I get stronger, and as I get stronger I get braver. It’ a good cycle.

#2 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 12 December 2018 - 05:06 PM

Dawn...

Arctic Pak material is almost identical to some car covers...here is a "how to clean" ...I have had such a cover for decades and it looks and feels just like the thermal liner in my Hawk..these directions are common sense stuff...mild detergent, cold water, air dry...I would first call FWC and ask them about cleaning the Arctic Pak

Phil

Cleaning

All of our covers are easy to wash. For a light hand wash, install the cover and spray the it with a water hose. Dilute a mild liquid detergent, like Woolite, in cold or warm water and lightly cleanse your cover with a sponge. Feel free to clean the inside of the cover by installing the cover inside-out on your vehicle.

For a deeper clean, such as to remove tree sap or bird droppings, use a large commercial washer and set it to a "delicate" cycle to avoid causing any rips or tears in the fabric. Using an at-home washer is not big enough to clean your cover properly. When washing your cover, we recommend using a delicate soap such as Woolite. Do not wash your cover in hot water, as this will cause shrinking. Finally, to preserve your cover’s water resistance, we recommend running your cover through multiple rinse cycles.

Once your cover is washed, DO NOT place the cover in an automatic dryer, as this may cause the fabric to shrink or melt. If possible, we suggest air drying your cover at all times.

Edited by Wallowa, 12 December 2018 - 05:06 PM.

#3 veryactivelife

veryactivelife

• Members
  • 188 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 December 2018 - 06:08 PM

I would wash it with tepid water in the bathtub. Recomend using a technical gear and apparel wash like Nikwax Tech Wash or Atsko Sport Wash. The reason being that regular soaps and detergents contain additives like surfactants and wetting agents whose purpose is to attract moisture to the material. These are near impossible to completely rinse out, leaving behind an invisible residue that will be a magnet for moisture likely compounding any condensation issues. There will be some that will disagree, calling it marketing hype by the companies, but I have over 30 years of experience working in the outdoor industry and it’s a well tested theory.

Cheers
Dean

ps: Spot or superficial cleaning can be done with the pack in place using 303 and a sponge or microfiber towel. That’s what I do periodically. It also helps pick up dust off the pack.

Edited by veryactivelife, 12 December 2018 - 06:12 PM.

Dean and Mary
2015 RAM 2500 Cummins with 2015 Four Wheel Campers Hawk flatbed

VeryActiveLife on Facebook, instagram & YouTube

#4 hoyden

hoyden

Lady Bug

• Members
  • 1,459 posts
  • LocationCarbondale, IL

Posted 12 December 2018 - 06:27 PM

What's the "bathtub" thing you mention? 

(sadly, my house does not have a tub :( )

Thanks both of you!

https://no-destination.org/ .:.  https://razorgirls.org/

2014 Tacoma DCLB + 2015 FWC Fleet

As I get braver I get stronger, and as I get stronger I get braver. It’ a good cycle.

#5 Bjammin

Bjammin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 13 December 2018 - 01:18 AM

I wouldn't recommend 303 for spot cleaning because the thermal pack is made of Olefin, not PVC like the pop-up material.  Ideally, you want all of the cleaning product you use to be rinsed away so that the breathable nature of the Olefin is preserved.

#6 veryactivelife

veryactivelife

• Members
  • 188 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 December 2018 - 02:05 PM

What's the "bathtub" thing you mention?

(sadly, my house does not have a tub :( )

Thanks both of you!

Any large tub or trash can would work.

Dean and Mary
2015 RAM 2500 Cummins with 2015 Four Wheel Campers Hawk flatbed

VeryActiveLife on Facebook, instagram & YouTube

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users