Photo
- - - - -

Experience With Mazama Open Range A/T Tires?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 18 December 2018 - 08:26 PM

All set to pull the trigger on a set of Cooper AT-3 LTs ["E"s] but was introduced to the Mazama Open Range A/T at Les Schwab tire store...this tire is their own brand.

Has anyone used an "E" rated Mazama Open Range A/T tire?

Your impression and comments will be appreciated.

For my '05 Tundra / '16 Hawk combo and I am rigging for off road...

Thanks...Phil

#2 roverjohn

roverjohn

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • LocationKANSAS CITY

Posted 19 December 2018 - 02:50 PM

No opinion but did you by chance notice the country of origin? Can't seem to find it on Les's or Mazama's site.

Thanks

#3 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 19 December 2018 - 03:58 PM

I asked about that at LSchwab and he was evasive...found on internet that some are made USA and some in as I remember Thailand. I like the service that I get at Les Schwab but recently it seems the tires they “push” are their in-house brands like Toyo [good tires] and now Mazama, a 100% LS tire,….on website they list Cooper but do not stock them….

The “free” [you pay when buying their tires..] rotation, repair, mounting and balancing after the initial purchase adds the value to shopping there.

Ps....also contacted LS HQ and asked for complete specs on these tires ...like weight, dia, width...no joy...they directed me back to Mazama site which does not give full specs...damn odd.

Edited by Wallowa, 19 December 2018 - 04:03 PM.

#4 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,269 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 19 December 2018 - 07:47 PM

A few months back I had to purchase a new set of tires.

I replaced the Goodyear "C" rated Wranglers that came

with the used tundra I bought in 2011.

Tires were new with the truck.

After 35K on the tries  I noticed a lot cracking in the sidewalls.

I was all set to get another set of GoodYears but gave it some second thoughts.

My local tire store ,who I have shopped at for 30+ years suggested

Hercules Terra Trac II,tires,they have a full range of tread/load ranges.

I have only driven them about 500 miles so far but they are quiet over the road.

They are an AT tread ,come with a national 60K warranty,good price and made in the US.

Might be another brand to look into.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#5 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 19 December 2018 - 08:57 PM

Hey thanks for that information and your recommendation but I have narrowed my search for "E" tires to Cooper AT3 LT, Toyo ATII or this new Mazama Open Range A/T....right now Cooper is at the top of my list..

Really looking for first hand experiences with those that have been using the Mazama tires...

#6 Ace!

Ace!

• Gone Traveling
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSo. Oregon

Posted 20 December 2018 - 02:36 AM

Cooper makes tires and brands them under other names.  I think Cooper manufactures some of LS tires, at least they used to.  You can ask Cooper if they are the manufacturer of Mazama.  You can usually tell too by the tread pattern.  In some cases they are only slightly different than each other.

#7 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 20 December 2018 - 04:05 AM

Ace...thanks...never thought of that and I will do!

Phil

#8 Ace!

Ace!

• Gone Traveling
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSo. Oregon

Posted 20 December 2018 - 03:03 PM

Not that it's the case, in this case, but you used to be able to go to the tire manufacturer's site and you could see the slightly different (or sometimes exactly the same) specs across brands.  So, you'd go to Dean, Cooper, Mastercraft, etc. and they would all have the same tire with a different name.  I think I just named all brands that are owned by Cooper, but if you didn't know that, you wouldn't know.  I think Big-O is the same way, that they have their house-brand tires made by Cooper, but that may have changed over the years.  Used to be you could tell right off by looking at the tread pattern (if you were familiar with the major retailers), so a Sears tire and a Big-O tire were the same tire, just a different name on the side and possibly a slightly different spec.  I used to be pretty good at tire recognition (yeah, that's not something I'm proud of :-) )

I did see that Mazama is trademarked by LS, so it appears to be a LS-specific tire (at least the name); however, I'm not aware of any manufacturing of tires that LS does, so it must be made for them by a larger manufacturer.  It's probably made to their specs and there is a very similar tire being marketed by another retailer.  Just my educated guess though.

#9 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 20 December 2018 - 06:51 PM

Ace...I just called and talked to Cooper Tire customer service and they were extremely helpful and courteous.

Bottom line is that they do not make the Mazama tires; nor could they find information on where they are made.  Cooper Tires are made in Ohio or Arkansas. 

In contrast I called Les Schwab HQ twice for information on this brand and twice was put on hold forever and then hung up on.

Unless there is a thunderbolt of great news about the Mazama, which the local manager of LS is pushing hard, I will bite the shipping cost bullet of $186 and order four Cooper AT-3 LTs.

Any information still appreciated...

Thanks...Phil  

#10 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,760 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 20 December 2018 - 08:52 PM

Why not five tires, have a matching spare and option of 5 tire rotation?

Edited by pvstoy, 20 December 2018 - 08:52 PM.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users