• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 20 December 2018 - 09:12 PM

With four days off for New Years my current plan is to head east and visit Bosque del Apache and perhaps White Sands NM since I'll be traveling solo.  

That being said I would be open to a trip on either Camino del Diablo or the Mohave Road, just don't really want to do either one by myself for the first time.

Anyone up for winding up 2018 with an adventure in the desert?

Cheers!

Bob

Edited by Cayuse, 20 December 2018 - 10:40 PM.

2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

#2 patrkbukly

patrkbukly

• Members
  • 224 posts
  • LocationFairplay, CO

Posted 20 December 2018 - 10:32 PM

With four days off for New Years my current plan is to head east and visit Bosque del Apache and perhaps White Sands NM since I'll be traveling solo.  

That being said I would be open to a trip on either Camino del Diablo or the Mohave Road, just don't really want to do either one by myself for the first time.

Anyone up for winding up 2018 with an adventure in the desert?

Cheers!

Bob

Hey Bob,

I am considering heading South to be a bit warmer (Fairplay, CO; we will be in the single digits just after the 25th nights). I had not yet decided on a route. Considering Moab, Sedona, Joshua, Death Valley etc. 

F250 with a Granby.

Me, my weiner dog and the schnauzer.

#3 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,576 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 21 December 2018 - 09:08 PM

Bob, head over to Three Rivers Petroglyph Site if you’re into them. Maybe Salinas Pueblo Mission Nat Mon.

I am haunted by waters

#4 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 22 December 2018 - 01:59 AM

We were going to head this past December to Bosque del Apache, maybe next year.  There was a private campground near there that closed.  I did not on-line find a workable place to pop-up near.  If you do go report back your stealth camp location as I plan to go there next year to photograph birds.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#5 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 22 December 2018 - 02:49 PM

We were going to head this past December to Bosque del Apache, maybe next year.  There was a private campground near there that closed.  I did not on-line find a workable place to pop-up near.  If you do go report back your stealth camp location as I plan to go there next year to photograph birds.

Will do.  It looks like there might be some stealth camping available west of San Antonio, at least that's what I'm looking at right now.  Might end up on the Mohave Rd instead.

2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

#6 Horseshoe

Horseshoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 02:47 AM

Dang I saw this a bit late for New Years (our first not camping in three years), but I have been eyeballing both Mojave Road and Camino del Diablo as well. You wouldn’t have to twist my arm for an adventure if you have a few days in coming months.

#7 Stray Dog

Stray Dog

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • LocationCanon City, Colorado

Posted 08 January 2019 - 03:12 PM

Birdwatchers Campground less than a mile north of Bosque del Apache NWR on the main road in from San Antonio NM.  Private, lots of room to camp away from others.  $5.00 a nite for basic space a couple years ago.  

San Antonio has two places for a great Green Chili Cheeseburger....Owl Cafe and Buckhorn tavern.  across the road from each other.  try them both.  they're great.

Spring birding in the refuge is also spectacular...local specialties include Crissal Thrasher and Chihuahuan Raven.  There will also be thousands of Sand Hill Cranes if you arrive before they push north into Colorado....

#8 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 08 January 2019 - 03:26 PM

Birdwatchers Campground less than a mile north of Bosque del Apache NWR on the main road in from San Antonio NM.  Private, lots of room to camp away from others.  $5.00 a nite for basic space a couple years ago.  

I believe that one closed...

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users