2 replies to this topic

#1 Frstnflt

Frstnflt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 11:51 PM

Hi, I have a 2017 DCSB tacoma MT and a Swift full camper. The rig works fair but even after OV tune just does not have the power I want. The camper just kills the driving experience. There are some specifications and "first drives"  of the F-150 powerstroke but no one online seems to have real world experience. I know the numbers do not make sense financially and do not plan on saving money with this swap. I love anything diesel and don't want a 3/4 ton. Thoughts?

#2 shellback

shellback

• Members
  • 336 posts
  • LocationWagontown,PA

Posted 21 December 2018 - 01:05 PM

One thing to check is the weight ratings. Normally diesels are quite a bit heavier, plus the drivetrain and suspension has to be beefed up. So that additional weight is deducted from the load carrying capacity. Most new trucks have sticker in the glovebox which gives you the weigh recommended for a slide in camper.

#3 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 21 December 2018 - 03:11 PM

You can see in my photo what I have and had the same dilemma about power.  The EcoDiesel has plenty of power.  The GVWR rating is another issue though.  I've beefed up what I can (springs, tires, etc.) but I suspect I'm still over.  I get 21mph w/ the camper w/ 3.92 gears.  ED's do seem to have a higher percentage of engine failures though :-(

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: four wheel campers, diesel, powerstroke, f150, tacoma

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users