#1 River_Rat

River_Rat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationNorthern Idaho

Posted 27 December 2018 - 08:42 PM

Obviously the Christmas break allowed me to finish up on a couple of projects on the FWC, in preparation for our next adventure.  It's winter, and cold, so I wanted the ability to carefully run my Mr. Buddy heater directly from the Hawk's propane bottles instead of toting around the little 1lb bottles.  I do refill the little green bottles, but by law you're not supposed to transport them if you refill them - so I've installed a second hose to hook up to my Mr. Heater Buddy.  

WARNING:  PLEASE DON'T DO THIS UNLESS YOU UNDERSTAND THE DANGERS OF USING THIS TYPE OF CATALYTIC HEATER.  YOU OR YOUR LOVED ONES COULD DIE VERY EASILY FROM CARBON MONOXIDE.  (sorry to be so harsh, but it's true.  Read HERE about the dangers, and HERE about how you can use them properly)

First I removed the panel directly in front (or behind) the propane cabinet to expose the main propane hose fitting.  I love the new way FWC is using this type of hose instead of copper lines.  It sure makes it much easier to accomplish this task. 

(Note: You can read a recent TCM article on this 2018 change HERE)

gallery_7168_1292_569545.jpg

Next, I shut off the gas and removed the main line at this location. Be sure to have the camper well ventilated when doing this. I purchased a 3/8" Flare Tee from the Home Depot for about $7 and also a double-female 3/8" Flare to join them together.  You'll see this in the below photo:

gallery_7168_1292_788496.jpg

Then, I reattached the main propane line to one of the flare's, and simply added the new 3' length of 3/8" Flare hose (purchased at Wally World or Amazon for $8) to the second fitting. 

gallery_7168_1292_2009455.jpg

Be sure and get the style of quick-disconnect that allows you to shut the gas off via a ball valve.  They are about $20 from your local supply store.   Route the new hose where you want it, and so it can easily be tucked up and out of the way.  Use caution to route it into an area that won't short out any electrical if the metal fitting touches an electrical connections.  Plus, you're dealing with a propane line so this could be an added issue.

Here is the final product:

gallery_7168_1292_3781064.jpg 

Now our heater will run for days on my main camper bottles instead of hours on the little green bottles.  It's great for getting up first thing in the morning to get the camper really warm and help out the main furnace.  We don't use this all night due to the moisture it produces in the camper, but it really does heat things up in short order. 

I hope this helps someone if you are thinking about doing this same thing.  If your camper is a little older, the process is similar, but you will have to just use a pipe cutter and a special tool to make your own flare.  Also, with this method I'd recommend having an expert (with proper tools) assure there are no propane leaks. 

I'll be interested in hearing what you have to say.  I know there are lots of threads on the topic of moisture, CO, and other heaters. 

Peace.

#2 Wango

Wango

• Members
  • 311 posts
  • LocationOregon,Montana

Posted 28 December 2018 - 12:17 AM

I have a similar setup. Mine was installed during construction. I use a wave 6, in the winter it really helps to keep the furnace from cycling on/off as much. I have run it all night, but do ventilate a great deal and also use two additional co monitors.

Works for me.

... just average for a hill-billy...
2016 F350 cc, ATC Custom Flatbed

2022 AEV/Jeep JTRD

#3 Bluedog

Bluedog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 01:26 AM

Have you tested this setup? I did the same thing, and it would not run for me. On my camper there is a regulator on the tank, the little buddy has it’s own built in regulator as well. It reduced the pressure too much for my heater to run when it was cold out. Rather than disassemble the little buddy I bought a Wave3 heater. Happy Camping.

#4 Living The Dream

Living The Dream

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • LocationFront Range, Colorado

Posted 16 January 2019 - 05:55 AM

I use a Mr Big Buddy. Those have a quick connect port too which is unregulated so its perfect to come off the regulated 20lb tank. I always ensure high ventilation when operating. I am not sure if I will continue to run this once I have a small child or if Ill bite the bullet and get a forced air unit. If you are interested I have a video about the install of my plumbed unit. You can find it over on my thread but I don't want to spam this thread with my videos :)

Stay toasty!

My youtube channel about my Four Wheel Camper - https://www.youtube.com/c/timmorrissey

All about my camper - https://www.tgmorrissey.com/camper

Item I used in my build- http://bit.ly/TGMorrisseyParts

#5 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 16 January 2019 - 07:02 AM

Looks like a very clean, and well documented install.

I did the same thing, but tapped in at the Suburban stove where there was a four way fitting.

Our quick disconnect connects to a Wave 3 heater, which I hang on two screws just above your Mr. Buddy in the photo.

I can leave it connected, in place on paved roads while driving.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#6 WyoIDI

WyoIDI

• Members
  • 101 posts
  • LocationCody, WY

Posted 17 January 2019 - 05:14 PM

Very clean install, thanks.  I would also be curious on how you got around the potential double regulator issue with the camper and heater.  Also what parts did you use on the heater to convert it from disposable 1 lb bottle fitting to quick connect?  My little buddy heater kicks the snot out of my wave 3 as far as heat output so I'd love to run it instead. Thanks!

Edited by WyoIDI, 17 January 2019 - 09:09 PM.

92' Grandby, 93' f350 7.3L CCLB

#7 Seattle Mitch

Seattle Mitch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 11:26 PM

I know this may sound a little remedial but I was trying to accomplish this very same thing. I'm curious,how did you manage to get the vertical panels that enclose the propane tanks and lines off? Can you remove those panels by simply removing the screws and prying? Or did you have to take the vertical panels surrounding the furnace and/or horizontal formica table top off first? Thanks!

Edited by Seattle Mitch, 17 January 2019 - 11:29 PM.

#8 River_Rat

River_Rat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationNorthern Idaho

Posted 15 April 2019 - 04:14 AM

Hi Mitch, I just saw this post and the others above. I'll snap a few photos of my adapter and the screws I removed to pry the panel carefully out. Sorry I've been out a while. Oh, and the buddy heater works excellent no issues, so don't over think the double regulator concerns mentioned. Never been an issue and prior to the call I called the company to check. They say it would work fine, and it does.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users