thatsatechnique

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationSammamish, WA

Posted 29 December 2018 - 01:19 AM

I am excited to announce that I got a big 'ol dent in the side of my truck.  :D

Yep, that's right, it gave me the excuse I needed to get what I've been eyeing for a long time now.  I've been torn between scrapping it all and getting a new flatbed, but just couldn't justify it all...not now, anyway, and not all at once.  So, what if this could be an incremental process instead of having to do it all at once?  What if I could gain all of the function I needed? 

Enter SherpTek.  

With this setup, I get all of the function now without losing the ability to convert to a flatbed model FWC later on.

I get all my gear out of the "aisle pile" (back seat) and stored out of the way.  Dirty gear, recovery gear, trash, etc. can all be kept out of the camper and out of the truck.  No functionality loss by having a regular "tray" flatbed - I still get sides!  Finally - and maybe most exciting - no more contortionist positions to check those darn turnbuckles! 

Long story short, I am working with SherpTek to get this really dialed in for FWCs.  So far we have removed the camper and bed to get precise measurements and ensure a perfect fit.  Pics to come as the build progresses, but I'm sure looking forward to things being a little easier and a lot more organized. 

No more of this:  

gallery_5517_1294_10285.jpg

The dent that started it all: 

gallery_5517_1294_2494821.jpg

Getting to work on the solution: 

gallery_5517_1294_526691.jpg

gallery_5517_1294_101722.jpg

Stay tuned for more pics as the build progresses!!  

If you already have a flatbed with a slide-in, I would love to hear about the challenges or benefits that I haven't already realized!  

Edited by thatsatechnique, 29 December 2018 - 01:35 AM.

-CHRIS

Instagram: @thatsatechnique

2011 Chevy Silverado 2500HD

2014 FWC Hawk

#2 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,098 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 29 December 2018 - 03:46 AM

I've been thinking along the same lines but you are about 2 years ahead of me; I'm waiting for the wheel wells on my box to rust (a Minnesota problem).

SherpTek is interesting but I want the flatbed at about the same height as the floor of my pickup box bed, to keep the over-cab distance about the same.  And keep the floor ~ 2 steps off the ground.

I'll be following your build with interest.

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#3 DaveL

DaveL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationOrange County, CA

Posted 29 December 2018 - 05:15 AM

Looking forward to this one, Chris. I've had this idea in the back of my head for some for the same reasons! I've been thinking tray & boxes. Didn't know about this outfit. Lots of pics, please :-) Nice you'd an "excuse" lol.

2020 Ram Power Wagon 4x4, 2015 Hawk Shell w/ side dinette & heater

#4 thatsatechnique

thatsatechnique

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationSammamish, WA

Posted 29 December 2018 - 04:47 PM

I've been thinking along the same lines but you are about 2 years ahead of me; I'm waiting for the wheel wells on my box to rust (a Minnesota problem).

SherpTek is interesting but I want the flatbed at about the same height as the floor of my pickup box bed, to keep the over-cab distance about the same.  And keep the floor ~ 2 steps off the ground.

I'll be following your build with interest.

This is one of the primary reasons I went with SherpTek instead of any standard, off-the-shelf tray where you just get whatever they offer.  I just got off a call with them regarding deck height and one of the options (at least for my truck) was a virtually stock deck height.  There is a lot of creativity in that shop!  I'm looking forward to getting some of the pics of the different options for height and will definitely post those here for some sage advise/opinions!  

-CHRIS

Instagram: @thatsatechnique

2011 Chevy Silverado 2500HD

2014 FWC Hawk

#5 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 29 December 2018 - 05:23 PM

Just checked out the website...very informative. In my “far off” plans I’d always thought that a traditional utility bed out back with all of the compartments would be a great setup. This take on that design is pretty cool. Thanks for sharing.
Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#6 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,897 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 29 December 2018 - 08:44 PM

This looks very interesting indeed!  Keep posting your progress, questions and solutions.  Have you got an idea of the cost yet?  

#7 Machinebuilder

Machinebuilder

• Members
  • 481 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 29 December 2018 - 10:07 PM

The sherptek is very interesting, too bad they’re on the opposite side of the country.

I’m curious what’s the cost? I can’t find any info on it.

I really would like to replace my F150 with a F350 with a flatbed but the truck cost makes me cringe.

2021 F350 SCLB

FWC Grandby,

EBY Big Country Flatbed, Buckstop Outback front Bumper

Gabby (GSP), Sox (GSP/American Bulldog)

2011 F150 SCLB HDPP

#8 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,760 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 29 December 2018 - 10:35 PM

Took a online tour on their web page. Looks like a great solution that fits the ticket for many applications. I think with the upper and lower storage you can stash a whole lot of crap. Could be good and bad as you could pack it to the gills and by doing so add more weight. Just thinking that is how I get in trouble.

My only question is the upper box access. It appears from the pictures that it is not sealed to the elements, as I think I can see the camper side material. If that is so then one might want various sizes of weather proof containers. I might want to have a strap down system for the contents to stop heavier objects denting the drop down door from the inside when items shift in a evasive maneuver or off camber hitting a bump.

Other than that looks very doable.

Keep us posted and a ruff cost estimate.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#9 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 30 December 2018 - 12:17 AM

Very cool and exciting upgrade. I'll also be following this tread.

This set up might give you the option of relocating some built in items from inside of the camper to outside, onto the deck. For eg we removed our water tank (which was above the truck rails in our model) to gain a large and useful interior cupboard. Now we use jugs for water and store most of them "outside".

Another option is rerouting of the sink drain to under the camper wing and draining into a collapsible grey water container "outside" ; so no more hose to the ground when camping.

Regarding the deck height, I know raising the camper COG is a type of anathema to many but, depending on design, a higher deck floor may allow any under deck boxes to be taller and therefore bigger. And I'm all about more storage (I'm "that guy" pvstoy refers to above ^_^) Also btw agree with his comments re exposure to elements - esp dust. I bag as required but naturally it depends on the item and travelling environment.

OTOH, JaSAn gives a very practical reason for maintaining stock deck height. For other loading tho, the drop sides can mitigate the inconvenience of a higher flat deck floor vs a regular PU box.

Good luck it all !

#10 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 30 December 2018 - 01:31 AM

That's a great idea!

South Carolina Low Country.  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: flatbed, fwc, build, custom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users