#11 thatsatechnique

thatsatechnique

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationSammamish, WA

Posted 30 December 2018 - 01:39 AM

Just checked out the website...very informative. In my “far off” plans I’d always thought that a traditional utility bed out back with all of the compartments would be a great setup. This take on that design is pretty cool. Thanks for sharing.

That is exactly how this started for me too.  Fortunately, I came across these guys before going that route.  Functional either way, but definitely looking forward to the better, refined fit.  

-CHRIS

Instagram: @thatsatechnique

2011 Chevy Silverado 2500HD

2014 FWC Hawk

#12 thatsatechnique

thatsatechnique

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationSammamish, WA

Posted 30 December 2018 - 01:46 AM

Took a online tour on their web page. Looks like a great solution that fits the ticket for many applications. I think with the upper and lower storage you can stash a whole lot of crap. Could be good and bad as you could pack it to the gills and by doing so add more weight. Just thinking that is how I get in trouble.

My only question is the upper box access. It appears from the pictures that it is not sealed to the elements, as I think I can see the camper side material. If that is so then one might want various sizes of weather proof containers. I might want to have a strap down system for the contents to stop heavier objects denting the drop down door from the inside when items shift in a evasive maneuver or off camber hitting a bump.

Other than that looks very doable.

Keep us posted and a ruff cost estimate.

All very valid concerns.  I've talked to them about many different options for "sealing" the storage area, but I think the most functional is to just individually seal the things that need to be sealed.  That area doesn't really get wet or particularly dirty as is - maybe because of the camper overhang, cab blocking the lateral stuff, etc.  I think I'll just box things up that need it and keep the dirtier stuff in there anyway.  With the infinite options for tying things down (built-in tie down system), I think it'll be pretty simple to keep some weatherproof boxes/bags in check.  Definitely looking forward to getting the bed on the truck and playing around with it.  I suspect it will all get reorganized a hundred times no matter what I have in mind now :)

You are totally right about being able to cram more stuff in there and it getting out of control.  As is, I already have to get in the truck and camper once in a while and empty it all out just to fill it back up with all the things we "need"  :huh:  haha

-CHRIS

2014 FWC Hawk

#13 thatsatechnique

thatsatechnique

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationSammamish, WA

Posted 30 December 2018 - 01:52 AM

Very cool and exciting upgrade. I'll also be following this tread.

This set up might give you the option of relocating some built in items from inside of the camper to outside, onto the deck. For eg we removed our water tank (which was above the truck rails in our model) to gain a large and useful interior cupboard. Now we use jugs for water and store most of them "outside".

Another option is rerouting of the sink drain to under the camper wing and draining into a collapsible grey water container "outside" ; so no more hose to the ground when camping.

Regarding the deck height, I know raising the camper COG is a type of anathema to many but, depending on design, a higher deck floor may allow any under deck boxes to be taller and therefore bigger. And I'm all about more storage (I'm "that guy" pvstoy refers to above ^_^) Also btw agree with his comments re exposure to elements - esp dust. I bag as required but naturally it depends on the item and travelling environment.

OTOH, JaSAn gives a very practical reason for maintaining stock deck height. For other loading tho, the drop sides can mitigate the inconvenience of a higher flat deck floor vs a regular PU box.

Good luck it all !

Thanks!  Great ideas about being able to relocate things to the outside!  It would be super cool to be able to see the water level and have easy access to that kind of stuff.  Also being able to add a grey water jug would come in handy sometimes.  This is why I like you guys - so many great ideas! :)

Deck height - I have just spoken to them about this and it turns out we have some options.  Will post some pics and see what you guys think.  Short version:  We can have (virtually) stock height with a small wheel well, or go completely flat and have some added (but reasonable) height.  Some of you have been out and about with me and know I like to hit the big rocks so I definitely need that articulation.  We are focused on an overland rig as opposed to a road / state park vehicle.  That usually comes with some sort of compromise, but it sounds like SherpTek is coming up with some pretty creative solutions!  Will get pics up for comparison soon...

-CHRIS

2014 FWC Hawk

#14 Rbrownmr2

Rbrownmr2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 December 2018 - 07:12 PM

No more of this:  
gallery_5517_1294_10285.jpg

This was the main reason I sold my Fleet. I had just bought a new (to us) house and found myself needing to take the FWC off every other weekend or less and my body just couldn’t take the required contortionism any longer, so we parted ways. If the turnbuckles were easier to install/remove, we would still have our Fleet. Does Sherptek make this bed for midsize trucks like a Tacoma? I wish my little truck had all of that outside storage for dirty and wet things!

#15 thatsatechnique

thatsatechnique

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationSammamish, WA

Posted 30 December 2018 - 07:28 PM

@rbrownmr2 - I don't know that I've seen one on a Tacoma yet, but there is certainly a market!  I think you're right that having that usable space makes a smaller setup a lot more functional.  I'm fortunate to have a massive truck so a lot of the finer details are a non-issue.  I could put a house in the bed and still pass uphill :).  You should definitely talk to SherpTek and let them know you saw this here and see what they have to say.  I think it would be a huge market to get into and hopefully get a FWC back on your truck!!

-CHRIS

2014 FWC Hawk

#16 Rbrownmr2

Rbrownmr2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 December 2018 - 10:04 PM

@rbrownmr2 - I don't know that I've seen one on a Tacoma yet, but there is certainly a market!  I think you're right that having that usable space makes a smaller setup a lot more functional... I think it would be a huge market to get into and hopefully get a FWC back on your truck!!

I have two offers out on used FWC Fleets now, awaiting response(s). The storage space outside of the camper and turnbuckle access would be a game changer for my Tacoma and my lifestyle. A full size diesel truck definitely has its advantages, but I can’t justify buying a new truck now that the Tacoma is built. I like that you are making your current platform more usable, versus starting over from the beginning.

#17 So Cal Adventurer

So Cal Adventurer

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 04:02 AM

Ballpark Cost Compared to The Norweld Etc...?

Follow My Shenanigans: instagram.com/campermccampface

#18 camper rich

camper rich

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 05:53 AM

A friend we met in Baja who was driving a 1st gen Tundra that had been turned into an overland rig had his boxes made by these guys:

https://www.highwayproducts.com

He said they were very reasonably priced and make really nice things. They make things for big trucks too.

#19 thatsatechnique

thatsatechnique

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationSammamish, WA

Posted 31 December 2018 - 05:29 PM

Ballpark Cost Compared to The Norweld Etc...?

Cost is similar to Norweld, but I think it's a totally different product.  The modularity of the product is what really steered me towards SherpTek instead of any other manufacturer.  Between that and being a small American business who I can work with on any amount of customization needed, I was sold.  There are plenty that will give you a standard tray with some boxes.  This compares in cost to that, but far exceeds them in function.  My platform is 6.5' length and 80" wide and comes in at around 250lbs - bed, lights, install, etc. is under $7k.  So function being apples and oranges already, the cost of the platform for my massive chevy diesel is about the same as a Norweld on a short Tacoma.  Not sure how much materials and sizes affect that bottom line. 

The options beyond that are totally different in my opinion.  I caught something on one of their posts or website about being focused on the DIY'er and having limitless possibilities.  I don't weld, so being able to easily secure things to just about any point on the bed/sides/underside/etc. is a fantastic bonus for me.  I have many ideas and think it's going to be really fun to figure out exactly where I can mount all the toys :)

-CHRIS

2014 FWC Hawk

#20 So Cal Adventurer

So Cal Adventurer

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 10:27 PM

Cost is similar to Norweld, but I think it's a totally different product.  The modularity of the product is what really steered me towards SherpTek instead of any other manufacturer.  Between that and being a small American business who I can work with on any amount of customization needed, I was sold.  There are plenty that will give you a standard tray with some boxes.  This compares in cost to that, but far exceeds them in function.  My platform is 6.5' length and 80" wide and comes in at around 250lbs - bed, lights, install, etc. is under $7k.  So function being apples and oranges already, the cost of the platform for my massive chevy diesel is about the same as a Norweld on a short Tacoma.  Not sure how much materials and sizes affect that bottom line. 

The options beyond that are totally different in my opinion.  I caught something on one of their posts or website about being focused on the DIY'er and having limitless possibilities.  I don't weld, so being able to easily secure things to just about any point on the bed/sides/underside/etc. is a fantastic bonus for me.  I have many ideas and think it's going to be really fun to figure out exactly where I can mount all the toys :)

Awesomeness!  Thanks for the detailed reply!  This is most definitely on my radar in the not so distant future

Follow My Shenanigans: instagram.com/campermccampface

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: flatbed, fwc, build, custom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users