Off-Roadish Four Season RV Trailers Recommendation

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#11 camper rich

camper rich

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 02:01 AM

I wouldn't recommend Casita unless it is the 13' model without the bathroom. We hauled our 17' Casita to Baja 3 times and had to get the tongue straightened. They only use C channel on their frame which is fine for highway use but not offroad. We now have a Ruger Trailer and sleep in the FWC Grandby.

Actually, if it weren't for my wanting to take my roll-up boat and Honda motor to Baja, I'd be happier not to pull any trailer.

#12 wyodoc

wyodoc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 11:27 PM

I've  owned a small airstream and agree they are totally unsuitable for our backroads. ( mostly western CO and southern UT) Most of the cabinets fell off the wall after the first washboard. Low clearance and no way to flip the axles. Poorly insulated.

The arctic fox 22ft we had was up to the task after having the axles flipped and is much better insulated.I think the Nash would be the same. We looked at the Outdoors when they came out and didn't think the build quality was the same as the AF.

The ultimate towable available in the US would be the Western Range camp. All custom so you can get whatever sizes, heating, plumbing, bunks options you want. Wood stove is standard equipment. Built like a tank. They are not light weight though.

#13 K6ON

K6ON

Old & Soft

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 15 June 2019 - 12:30 AM

Not sure how deep your pockets are, but Black Series trailers are made for off road. Wish I could afford one!

https://www.blackseriescamper.com/

2007 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD QC 4X4, *1996 FWC/ATC hybrid* *2021.5 GeoPro 19FBS*  "If you can read this, Thank a Teacher.  Because you read this in English, Thank a Vet."

#14 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,532 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 15 June 2019 - 01:28 AM

Not sure how deep your pockets are, but Black Series trailers are made for off road. Wish I could afford one!

https://www.blackseriescamper.com/

Bob, I didn’t see pricing, how bad is it?

I am haunted by waters

#15 K6ON

K6ON

Old & Soft

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 15 June 2019 - 02:06 AM

The 19' is between 50 ~ 60K

2007 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD QC 4X4, *1996 FWC/ATC hybrid* *2021.5 GeoPro 19FBS*  "If you can read this, Thank a Teacher.  Because you read this in English, Thank a Vet."

#16 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,532 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 15 June 2019 - 02:48 AM

Eeeeeek, that’s pricy!

I am haunted by waters

#17 windy

windy

• Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 06:34 AM

VMI out of Bellingham, WA. Just be prepared to wait 2 years for it and take out a second mortgage on the homestead. http://www.vmioffroa...der-alpine.html

#18 roverjohn

roverjohn

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • LocationKANSAS CITY

Posted 18 June 2019 - 07:33 PM

Probably not what you want but how about a utility trailer for sleeping quarters. Carry everything heavy in your tow vehicle. Utility trailers are usually made from metal and are designed for constant use. Think of it as a shell model and go to town. An axle flip or some  suspension upgrades would be one more thing on the menu.

#19 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,294 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 18 June 2019 - 08:31 PM

Not yet mentioned here are the hardside A-frame popups of which our Rockwood A127TH is one of and one we're very happy with. With the TH platform forward and the fold-up ramps to facilitate loading of one ATV or two dirt bikes, our 12.75' long box weighs in at just shy of 2,400 lbs dry.  Those w/ out the TH platform but with the same box come in at around 1,500 lbs. It will sleep 4, has no inside potty facility, but has an outside shower, a 6 gallon propane water heater, 23 gallon onboard water tank, AC, heat pump, and a propane furnace.  Inside are a 3 burner range, a 3-way fridge, and a microwave oven.  A queen bed at the back converts to a long couch while a standard double in front converts to a (tight) 4-seater dinette. The box is honeycomb rigid panels on a fully enclosed boxed chassis.  Torsion suspension and 15" AT tires with a full-size spare plus a good 16-18" clearance all around give it a self-conferred "off road" rating.  We've had it on long stretches of washboard and Forest Service roads in Montana and Wyoming without serious problems.  Yes, the hinges holding the glass top on the range came loose, and the box gets more dust in it than we'd like after a long gravel road tow, but we solved those issues with just doing without the glass top and by draping a cheap tarp over the interior before collapsing the top onto the box.  The top is all rigid honeycomb panels with a Fantastic Fan and big screened windows on each side panel.  I can't say it's a full 4-season unit since the tank and much of the plumbing are uninsulated and can't be kept unfrozen by the furnace. But we and our son and his family have gotten good 3-season use out of it and I would not hesitate to use it in winter provided the plumbing remains unused and water storage in standard cubes is an acceptable substitute.

Our Rockwood is a total knockoff of the Aussie's "A-Liner". 

Foy

#20 wetcoast

wetcoast

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 05:53 PM

Thanks everyone! I decided to stick to the truck camper route and went with a Lance 830 which has a pop out bed off the back similar to the full size North Star. It is mounted on 2015 F350 Crew Cab short box diesel which hurt the pocket book but upped the safety and comfort level for the family while on the road! See you camping this summer and winter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users