69 replies to this topic

#31 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 563 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 12 January 2019 - 04:21 AM

The most overlooked limitation is the brake duty cycle.  The brakes convert kinetic energy to heat energy.  They are rated for a certain overall weight.  If you're trying to stop extra payload, especially in an emergency situation or downhill, the brake disks will overheat and fade (stop working).  Other components that are designed to meet an OEM payload rating are the axle bearings, transmission and drivetrain, and cooling capacity.

If the truck is designed to tow, then I wonder what the assumption is for trailer brakes? For example, the 2018 Tacoma is designed for up to 6400 lb trailer. Definitely the transmission, cooling and drive train can handle big loads. Not the axle bearings though.

I've rationalized the engine and brakes are ok for being a few hundred pounds overweight (about 10%). And things like axle, tires, frame, etc. have more than 10% excess fatigue life which is probably what will fail before ultimate strength. The brakes, engine and drivetrain should be ok. I know commercial airplanes are designed for 50% ultimate strength above maximum design load, but have no idea what trucks are designed for. I'd guess a lot higher than 50% because weight isn't such a big deal. Airplanes are designed for about 4 times fatigue life (about 20 years). Landing gear has different design constraints, having to do with "safe life" which is more than I can explain but involves a bunch of testing. 

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

#32 gaylon

gaylon

• Members
  • 176 posts
  • LocationBoulder Creek

Posted 31 January 2019 - 03:14 AM

I run a 2016 Tundra TRD Pro with a fully optioned Hawk with an anti-sway bar and airbags added..  Fairly loaded out with recovery gear, hitchgate, second spare, a little extra water, and the rig weighed in at 8500# today.  This is with most of the camper interior stuff loaded in and two adults.  Full tank of gas.  Honestly, the Tundra handles the weight amazingly well.  Plenty of power - I think only the Ford 250/350 gas engine has more torque and horsepower than the Tundra.  We just spent a month in Baja and extensively four wheel drive and I have never had any issues.  That said, I am leaning towards upgrading the brakes, not because of performance but because of threads like this one, but haven't because I am thinking of switching to a flatbed and that would be on a 1 ton truck.

2015 Hawk on a 2016 Tundra TRD Pro

#33 Rogue Juan

Rogue Juan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 07:11 PM

I had my 2018 Fleet on a 2005 Tacoma Access Cab with airbags added for support until I totaled the truck. The airbags leaked & even after repair, had to have air added before every outing. I upgraded to a 2015 Tacoma Access Cab & added a set of leaf springs. Even when loaded with 25 gallons of water (2) full 2.5 gal propane tanks & 250 lbs of gear, I've been okay even in 50 mph gusts of wind going 70 on the highway. Sidenote,if you added solar like me, go with the Overland kit & 2 6 volt batteries instead of the Zamp kit & (2) 12s. Upgrading later will prove costly.
Enjoy your FWC.

#34 BigRanchInSky

BigRanchInSky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 12 February 2019 - 05:53 PM

Thanks to everyone who has contributed, I really appreciate everyone's input.

After looking around a bunch I pulled the trigger on a gas 2019 Ford F250 crewcab/shortbed. I went to a 3 dealers in Salt Lake City and played the buy-a-vehicle game. I feel lucky to live in a large metro area that has a bunch of Ford dealers vying for business—it made getting the one I wanted easier. $45K out the door. I probably paid too much, but what the hell.

I got the XL model, with a STX appearance pkg, including SYNC 3 (not to be confused with the basic Sync) which gives you a larger larger display for backup camera and other radio/phone integration features. Also has the FX4 offroad pkg—beefier tires, skid plate. I couldn't find one that had the camper package in a shortbed, those are mostly incorporated into towing models that are diesel, longbed, etc. I figure the basic payload specs are fine. Ford has about one zillion options, so finding one with exactly what you want is daunting.

It came without running boards which makes in almost impossible to get into so I ordered some aluminum ones off of amazon, APS iBoard Running Boards 5" Matte Black. Also ordered Rough Country floor mats and Shear Comfort Cordura seat covers. The dealer threw in wheel liners, I pick those up this week, hope they are easy to install.  B)

This is my first truck. It is a beast. I flipped it into 4WL in 12+ inches of snow on a slight hill and it didn't hesitate one bit. Booya! Hawk Camper will be picked toward end of March. I'm excited to get rolling! 

SD1CLzt.jpg

Edited by BigRanchInSky, 12 February 2019 - 06:29 PM.

#35 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 12 February 2019 - 06:43 PM

This is my first truck. It is a beast

Whaaat ... that like starting out with Jack Daniels, top shelf stuff !

Looks beauty. Congrats

ON EDIT. don't sweat the non camper pkg and any payload effect. From what I see in the guide it adds a higher rated front spring (and front axle rating), which with a camper you might not need. And also an aux rear leaf to the rear spring pack. Not sure if that would mean a higher rear axle rating (max looks to be 6340#, - check your the door tag) but I don't think either spring difference would impact the max payload that would have been available in that config. As it is now, you can prob put the full payload on the rear and still be under rear axle rating (a good thing).

Might miss the rear sway bar tho... but easy to retro fit with Ford or aftermarket parts. ^_^

Edited by klahanie, 12 February 2019 - 07:13 PM.

#36 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 13 February 2019 - 12:12 AM

Nice truck.  Congrats!

I'd be interested in reading what your door tag indicates:

GAWR front

GAWR rear

GVWR

Also, is there another sticker (perhaps in the glove box) that indicates a weight rating for a slide in camper?

BTW I like the STX package.  Good value.

It is very high without running boards  :).  I personally like it.  It will be interesting to see the new lower height of the 2020 model compares.

Edited by Bill D, 13 February 2019 - 02:53 AM.

#37 Zamron

Zamron

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationGulf Breeze, FL

Posted 13 February 2019 - 12:53 AM

Greetings from Pensacola Beach,

Yea, Florida... I'm brand new to WTW. These forums are a treasure trove. Thank you.  I don't want to high jack the thread but been lurking & studying & shopping & getting ready for an early retirement.

The FWC Hawk has become my latest obsession over the past year. The F250 and Hawk seems like an ideal combination. I just ordered the F250 last week. STX supercab 4wd. The dealer calculated the payload at 2740 lbs. We'll see what the sticker says when it arrives. I should have 700 lbs of "safety". The camper should start to happen this winter.

I still need 6 months before I tell the boss what I REALLY think ;)

Cheers

Steve

Edited by Zamron, 13 February 2019 - 12:54 AM.

#38 bsharp007

bsharp007

• Members
  • 250 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 13 February 2019 - 05:06 AM

Reading these threads you would never guess that the vast majority of FWC I see and most of the campers they sell end up on 1/2 trucks.  After 90,000 miles with a Hawk on a 2012 Ford F150 I decided to go with a new F150.  I don't think there is a 1/2 ton truck with more payload or a more powerful engine than the 3.5L Ecoboost and I checked.

The new truck has absolutely no problem hauling the Hawk safely and is well under payload.

Will,  2019 Ford F150 with a 2022 Hawk

#39 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 13 February 2019 - 12:19 PM

Congratulations on the F-250.

That’s a great truck for the Hawk. You will be happy with it.

Be sure to post pictures when you pick it up..

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#40 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 13 February 2019 - 06:49 PM

Reading these threads you would never guess that the vast majority of FWC I see and most of the campers they sell end up on 1/2 trucks.

Me too, mostly 1/2 and 1/4 tons. Guess that's in keeping with FWC lightweight ideal

After 90,000 miles with a Hawk on a 2012 Ford F150 I decided to go with a new F150.  I don't think there is a 1/2 ton truck with more payload or a more powerful engine than the 3.5L Ecoboost and I checked.

Great, that's consistent with the main take-a-ways I've gotten from these threads; consider well, payload and power.

The new truck has absolutely no problem hauling the Hawk safely and is well under payload.

Exactly, well done.   Love what they've done with the F150. Enjoy it !

Another take away from "these threads" is the importance of being comfortable with your choice of vehicle, be it a "larger" truck or specific brand. We all have our own reasons.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: payload, truck choice, dependability, advice for new truck owners, vehicle choice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users