69 replies to this topic

#41 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 14 February 2019 - 04:40 AM

3.5L Ecoboost and I checked.

The new truck has absolutely no problem hauling the Hawk safely and is well under payload.

Most trucks have no issues "hauling" a Hawk.

Some people want to able to "hammer" a Hawk on 4X4 terrain or on the way to work  :) 

A 3/4 ton at 1/2 payload may offer a more spirited/safer ride than a 1/2 ton at/near max payload.

#42 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 14 February 2019 - 04:36 PM

Some people want to able to "hammer" a Hawk on 4X4 terrain or on the way to work  :) 

A 3/4 ton at 1/2 payload may offer a more spirited/safer ride than a 1/2 ton at/near max payload.

I don't know what that means. Just, please drive carefully on public roads. Traffic fatalities numbers, esp pedestrians are tragically high.

#43 Bombsight

Bombsight

• Members
  • 721 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 14 February 2019 - 05:17 PM

Thanks to everyone who has contributed, I really appreciate everyone's input.

After looking around a bunch I pulled the trigger on a gas 2019 Ford F250 crewcab/shortbed. I went to a 3 dealers in Salt Lake City and played the buy-a-vehicle game. I feel lucky to live in a large metro area that has a bunch of Ford dealers vying for business—it made getting the one I wanted easier. $45K out the door. I probably paid too much, but what the hell.

I got the XL model, with a STX appearance pkg, including SYNC 3 (not to be confused with the basic Sync) which gives you a larger larger display for backup camera and other radio/phone integration features. Also has the FX4 offroad pkg—beefier tires, skid plate. I couldn't find one that had the camper package in a shortbed, those are mostly incorporated into towing models that are diesel, longbed, etc. I figure the basic payload specs are fine. Ford has about one zillion options, so finding one with exactly what you want is daunting.

It came without running boards which makes in almost impossible to get into so I ordered some aluminum ones off of amazon, APS iBoard Running Boards 5" Matte Black. Also ordered Rough Country floor mats and Shear Comfort Cordura seat covers. The dealer threw in wheel liners, I pick those up this week, hope they are easy to install.  B)

This is my first truck. It is a beast. I flipped it into 4WL in 12+ inches of snow on a slight hill and it didn't hesitate one bit. Booya! Hawk Camper will be picked toward end of March. I'm excited to get rolling! 

SD1CLzt.jpg

I'm a 3500 GMC owner and also have a 2003 Tacoma (second Toyota). Though Toyota makes a great truck, it isn't ideal for hauling a Hawk around. That said, you made an excellent decision in getting a larger platform. Enjoy!

#44 BigRanchInSky

BigRanchInSky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 16 February 2019 - 04:48 PM

Here is the door sticker for the F250 STX w FX4 pkg, I think I'm within specs.

HE36hoe.jpg

#45 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 17 February 2019 - 02:14 AM

Here is the door sticker for the F250 STX w FX4 pkg, I think I'm within specs.

HE36hoe.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to post your door sticker BigRanch.

To put your mind at ease here are my numbers on a 2009 GMC Sierra 1500 2WD regular cab 6.5' box.

GVWR:        2903kg (6400lb)

GAWR FRT 1452kg (3200lb)

GAWR Rear 1701kg (3750lb)

Here is the actual axle weights of my near fully loaded Hawk with 2 people and camping gear.

GVWR: 3050kg

GAWR FRT 1400kg 

GAWR Rear 1650kg

As you can see I was underweight on each individual axle, but 150kg over on GVWR (total weight).

You'll have an extra:

GVWR: 1633kg

GAWR FRT 500 kg extra on the front axle

GAWR Rear 1200 kg on the rear axle

You can pack 2000lb of gear and likely stay within payload specs

Edited by Bill D, 17 February 2019 - 06:01 AM.

#46 kgree3

kgree3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 11:09 PM

Wow, again great information and advice for the new folks. Can someone chime in on the Ford F150 3.5L ecoboost vs the 2.7L ecoboost engines. Is going with the 3.5 a must for hauling the Hawk? im thinking yes, but would like to hear what others in the know think.

thank you

#47 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 18 February 2019 - 05:32 PM

I would suggest the 3.5 over the 2.7.

The mileage difference is not that great and my understanding is that the more the eco boost engines are taxed the worst fuel mileage they get, so it’s entirely possible that with a heavier weight the 3.5 engine may get as good or better mileage.

Also, the 3.5 allows you to get a heavier payload package.

https://www.ford.com...F-150&year=2019

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#48 kgree3

kgree3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 06:07 PM

THANK YOU Eddie! As i thought! And thanks for the brochure! The dealerships typically say they are all out of these:) Now i just need to find one i like enough to pull the trigger:) Any suggestions for making deals on one of these trucks, new or preowned?

Thank you again Eddie!!!!!

#49 Bwht4x4

Bwht4x4

• Members
  • 427 posts
  • LocationMorro Bay

Posted 18 February 2019 - 06:30 PM

I love negotiating on new truck purchases.  The 2018 Ram 2500 I bought in October had a sticker of $63,185, but I negotiated it down to $53,000 even.  Not the deal of the century, but it was exactly the truck I wanted so I was happy.

2018 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab, 4WD, CTD paired with a 2013 FWC Hawk

#50 kgree3

kgree3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 07:12 PM

Thats great! i want to keep my current vehicle though, so i wont be buying new.

Would something like this work for the Hawk? I tried to capture the highlights of this truck specifically for its use with the camper. It will not be my daily driver and the camper will most likely stay on the truck. Looks like truck has the FX4 package. The mileage seems a little high for the 27,900 $. Am i looking for the right things? Any added features i should be looking for in a F150?

Thanks for any and all feedback!!!!!! i really appreciate the help and expertise from members!!!!!

4D SuperCrew

Mileage:67,982

Engine: EcoBoost 3.5L V6 GTDi DOHC 24V Twin Turbocharged

CARFAX One-Owner.  COME WITH 2 year / 24K MONTH limited Pre-Paid Maintenance, no cost to you with the purchase of a Certified Pre-Owned Vehicles

4WD, 4-Wheel Disc Brakes, ABS brakes,

Electronic Locking w/3.73 Axle Ratio, Electronic Stability Control,

GVWR: 7,200 lbs Payload Package,

Traction control, Trailer Brake Controller,

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: payload, truck choice, dependability, advice for new truck owners, vehicle choice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users