30 replies to this topic

#21 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 14 January 2019 - 04:21 PM

Glad some of you are enjoying the story and photos!

I was losing momentum, but have to get back to it and write up Eureka Dunes.

Yes Lighthawk, we very much are. You are taking us on a wonderful adventure, from the community that is Saline Valley Warm Springs into the nooks and crannies of the surrounding area. I, like many others, particularly like the photos of the Salt Lake; I especially because I recently picked up a copy of Mary DeDecker's work on Willie Smith's Fabulous Salt Tram, long out of print. Thank you for taking us along and we await Eureka Dunes! :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#22 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 14 January 2019 - 07:43 PM

I agree with Ski-keep em' coming, I am really enjoying this trip you guys are taking! :D 

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#23 ETAV8R

ETAV8R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationRepublik of Kalifornia

Posted 15 January 2019 - 06:53 AM

Just checking out your newest trip. I just missed you. Hope to finally meet up with you on one of these trips. I see familiar faces in your pics. Spent several days from the 4th-9th in Saline. After 9-10 years of visiting the springs a new visitor was there one afternoon...a ringtail cat came down from one palm near the Wizard pool and up another all the way to the top. The ravens were upset with him up there but they could not persuade him from his duties.

I spoke with Major Tom about the salt from the lake and he believes the best quality was long ago and what's left isn't worth using in food but I too have brought it home but never used it.

Really enjoying your trip report. One evening after work I drove from LA with the goal of camping at the dry well and hiking out the next day to those dunes. The plan worked and later that day my friends joined me at Eureka. Very unique feeling camping so far away from anyone. I was solo for camping and my hike to the hidden dunes.  Sometimes you see other vehicles, as you did, and if you don't have lights or a fire on at your camp they have no idea you're out there.

On the way home I finally checked out the Cinder Cone area near Fossil Falls. Very cool stuff.

Edited by ETAV8R, 15 January 2019 - 07:23 AM.

Founder of D.E.R.P. Desert Exploration & Research Project. A camp proper is a nomads biding place. He may occupy it for a season or only for a single night, according as the site and its surroundings please or do not please the wanderers whim- Horace Kephart.

2009 4x4 Tacoma Access Cab-The Gini

2013 Silver Spur Finch Shell- The Oxcart/Gini's Burden-

http://www.wanderthe...ory/#entry83606

#24 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 16 January 2019 - 07:18 AM

Thanks for all the kind comments!  

I've managed to compress our visit to Eureka Valley, visiting the dunes and exploring new locations into a single blog post.

It's remarkably beautiful but fragile area, preserved by limiting vehicle access under National Park protections.  

Please enjoy.

Eureka Valley Dunes, Part VIII

There will be a minor epilogue after this:

Mono Lake Snowy Camp

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#25 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 16 January 2019 - 03:35 PM

Andy, a great segment of the TR!!! I love the monochromes of the Möbius dune and the one of the undulating ‘waves’!

Nice photography! Which Sony did you get?

I am haunted by waters

#26 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 04:34 PM

WS: 

I tried the Sony A72r, but was frustrated trying to move the focus point quickly, coming from Canon DSLRs.  I sold the A72r and bought a nearly new A73r with only 350 clicks.  It's got a joystick which helps quite a bit.  They both have the same full frame sensor, and I can use my Canon glass with an E mount adapter.  The Mobius Dune was shot with a Canon 70-200+1.4TC for example.  

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#27 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 16 January 2019 - 05:23 PM

Lighthawk, thanks for your wonderful trip story! Hidden dunes are a very special place, indeed. Your photography is a joy to see as you capture this wonderful landscape you travel through.

I share your concern for reckless and illegal motor vehicle use and their utter disregard for our public lands. I wish there was a solution as the numbers continue to grow. Unfortunately, I have no optimism in this regard.

Julie & I are looking forward to the farm house and Mono Lake! :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#28 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 06:56 AM

Okay folks!  Our blog is complete with the final chapter.

Tune in for deep snow, foggy mornings and old ranch houses.

Mono Lake

Thanks for following along.

#29 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 18 January 2019 - 06:44 PM

I enjoyed your report! Very nice photography- I like the dune photos quite a lot. :)

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#30 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,295 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 18 January 2019 - 09:37 PM

Thanks Andy for the last part.Interesting to know where the people that built those buildings went.

Beautiful photos of the fog/snow.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users