Photo
- - - - -

1/2 ton or 3/4 ton, what are most people using for their FWC?

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#11 Adventurebound

Adventurebound

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 08 January 2019 - 12:32 AM

I would also concider if the camper will live on the truck full time and if you plan on using your new truck as a daily driver. You will be sorely disappointed at the way most 3/4 and 1 tons drive unladen as compared to the 1/2 tons.

#12 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,879 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 08 January 2019 - 12:43 AM

Concur, Driving the unloaded 3/4t truck from here to Flagstaff, in a word, sucked. Ride home with the new to us camper in the bed was much, much better.

At the time I bought diesel because no gasser on the market, new or used, could match the mpg. Now that's not so true, particularly if buying new.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#13 BrianG

BrianG

• Members
  • 196 posts
  • LocationNorthern Nevada

Posted 08 January 2019 - 01:21 AM

Ram 3500 megacab, fully loaded I’m 1800 lbs under GVWR. I was always 600 - 800 lbs over with my Ram 2500 mega cab. Nice to not have to worry about weight even when towing.

2018 Ram 3500 Mega Cab 4x4 Diesel, 2015 Hawk Silver Spur Exterior, Front Dinette

#14 mr.unproductivity

mr.unproductivity

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 02:57 AM

F250 CCLB with Granby shell. I debated the 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton for about 8 months and finally settled on a 2018 6.2 4x4. My plan is for long term travel and the extra vehicle length made sense for the 48 gallon tank. 

I daily drive the truck. Parking can be fun in the city, but overall I am happy with the truck. On highway trips to the mountains I average 15.5 mpg and my lowest has been 13.5 mpg with a lot of city driving. 

#15 So Cal Adventurer

So Cal Adventurer

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 04:16 AM

I have a 2014 Tundra with a loaded Hawk.

Many say "It will work" and it KIND OF does...

But...  If you offroad a lot and often, it beats the hell out of the maxed out truck.

GVWR is around 7300lbs.  With the hawk and loaded to travel (and I travel light) my truck weighs in at 8800!!! 

If you're generally mostly pavement, you should have no issues, other then horrible MPGs.

I've spent a ton of $ upgrading suspension, leafs, add a leafs, bags, etc.. 

Its at the point now, if I deflate the bags, the leafs are inverted on an old man emu lift with an add a leaf!  :(

I've been a die hard Toyota fan my entire life and have owned nothing but for 20+ years, but the recent falling in love with my Hawk has me looking at options for sure. 

I just ordered a custom set of springs from Boise Spring works and if those don't help my rear end issues, I will be taking a hard serious look at the Dodge 2500 Diesel.

Note, I never in a million years thought I would go Dodge from Toyota, but the Tundra just isn't cut out for the weight.

My .02

Follow My Shenanigans: instagram.com/campermccampface

#16 FoxenTec

FoxenTec

• Members
  • 115 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 08 January 2019 - 04:25 AM

18 Grandby on a 1/2 ton 2017 Ram with a V6  (305 hp).   Added Air bags and 10 ply All Terrain tires.   I definitely know its back there but the truck drives great with the bags setup with the right amount psi for each side.  Heading up long steep grades, I have no trouble maintaining 65+ all the way to the top.  Ours is the shell model but we have the furnace, stove and roll-over couch.  We then added a cabinet and sink.  Water weight is only two 7 gallon jugs.  Like others......if I could start all over, I would love a 3/4 ton 4X4.  I just cannot afford a new one though.  Might keep my eyes open for a F250 with low miles.  

Jon

FoxenTec

#17 EDR

EDR

• Members
  • 177 posts
  • LocationSE WA

Posted 08 January 2019 - 06:14 AM

My last truck was an ‘06 Ram 2500 Mega Cab that was my daily driver and was used to haul my loaded Hawk for about 6 months out of the year. It did great, but I got fed up with the diesel fuel mileage and stiff ride without the camper. I wanted a newer truck with all the latest creature comforts and bought a ‘16 Ram Ecodiesel Crewcab. I’ve added airbags to level the truck with the camper on, Bilstein 5100 shocks and eight ply / C rated tires.

I’ve had absolutely no problems with my new truck and camper set up and it has gone up and down the mountain passes in the Cascades without issue. I also get the same mpg with the new 1500 and camper that I got with the unloaded 2500. With the camper off, the new truck is a pleasure to drive.
2007 FWC Hawk

#18 dscobell

dscobell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 01:00 PM

Self contained Grandby on a 2017 F350 4x4 gasser full time. Not my daily driver so I was not too concerned by mpg. Still, I get nearly 12mpg on the highway at 65mph. My two cents.

camper: 2016 Grandby

truck: 2017 Ford F350 CCLB gasser

Callsign: KM6GWU

#19 TrapperMike

TrapperMike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 08 January 2019 - 01:19 PM

Recently upgraded from a 2011 Chev 1/2 ton to a 2018 Chev 3/4 ton.  Have only had the camper on to see if I could get it out of the 8'   garage door without needing to drop it on a trailer and wheel it out.    Fits with 3/4 inches to spare, so no trailer needed!  Still need to install the tie down system and truck to camper electrical, but have all winter to do that.  The new 3/4 ton actually rides better than the 1/2 ton when unloaded.  I suspect that is due to the all the suspension upgrades done to the 1/2 ton which is a truck that is not put together to handle such suspension modifications.

2016 FWC Hawk Shell

2011 Chev Silverado 1500 4x4 ext cab

2018 Chev Silverado 2500 4x4 ext cab 

Super Springs

Helwig Sway Bar

#20 knoxswift

knoxswift

• Members
  • 219 posts
  • LocationAshburn, Virginia

Posted 08 January 2019 - 05:40 PM

If I had the funds, I'd go with a Ram 2500, Manual TM with the Diesel.  :D

But I don't, So I keep chugging along with my 10 year old Mid-Size Tacoma...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users