Photo
- - - - -

1/2 ton or 3/4 ton, what are most people using for their FWC?

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#21 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 08 January 2019 - 07:29 PM

1 ton here. Previously a 3/4. Couldn't make our wt numbers work with a 1/2 ton. That's just how we roll. If I'm going to be "over" I'd rather it be with a heavier truck. Figure the 3/4, 1 ton are built a bit more robustly than the 1/2, a belief I don't mind holding when we're off highway.

Agree affordability and application are key. Different horses etc ...

----

I have a 2016 Ford F-150 single cab with the heavy duty package.  V-8 engine.  The door sticker on the vehicle says the combined weight of cargo and passengers should not exceed 3,159 pounds.

I carry a Grandby full time, and even with two passengers and a lot of gear, I am always well within this limit.  It all rides great and I have had no problems whatsoever.  

Zirdu, that's awsome ! Have you felt the need to made any mods to the suspension ?

Thx. ~D

#22 Spud

Spud

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationTwin Falls, Idaho

Posted 08 January 2019 - 08:30 PM

Loaded Hawk on GMC Sierra 2500 diesel. Keep camper on full time.  Actually, the ride is better with the load on the truck.  No change, or very little change, in gas mileage. Usually pulling a RZR on a trailer, so I like the diesel.

Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. 
Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. 
The winds will blow their own freshness into you, 
     and the storms their energy, 
          while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.

-- John Muir

#23 Colorado Mark

Colorado Mark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationLittleton & Buena Vista, CO

Posted 08 January 2019 - 11:40 PM

My first Grandby was on a Chevrolet K2500 Camper Special. Standard bed which was 8 foot back in those days. 8600 GVWR, 502 big block.  Never knew the camper was back there.

My new one is going on a Silverado 2500HD. Also has trailer tow package & increased capacity chassis package.  9200 GVWR Extended cab, short bed (6' 5") 6.0LS gas engine.  Will put the new Grandby on with the tail gate down.

Will do some measurements before & after to see if I want to go with air bags.  The heaviest thing on the tail gate area is going to be the dual batteries.

#24 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,950 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 09 January 2019 - 03:18 AM

My first Grandby was on a Chevrolet K2500 Camper Special. Standard bed which was 8 foot back in those days. 8600 GVWR, 502 big block.  Never knew the camper was back there.

My new one is going on a Silverado 2500HD. Also has trailer tow package & increased capacity chassis package.  9200 GVWR Extended cab, short bed (6' 5") 6.0LS gas engine.  Will put the new Grandby on with the tail gate down.

Will do some measurements before & after to see if I want to go with air bags.  The heaviest thing on the tail gate area is going to be the dual batteries.

Are the batteries in the back on a Grandby?  I put my dual 6v 250AH batteries at the front when I did my Hawk build.

#25 Colorado Mark

Colorado Mark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationLittleton & Buena Vista, CO

Posted 09 January 2019 - 01:38 PM

Old Grandby was in front.

New Grandby is in back.  Just to the left when you open the door.

#26 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,950 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 09 January 2019 - 06:44 PM

Old Grandby was in front.

New Grandby is in back.  Just to the left when you open the door.

Strange.  Any idea why they moved them back there?

#27 Zirdu

Zirdu

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • LocationSt. George, UT

Posted 09 January 2019 - 06:44 PM

Yes, in my newer Grandby the battery is next to the door.  This is a bad location, IMO.  This is a prime area for a storage cabinet.  The battery should have been put under the bench seats in the dinette (front dinette).   The area under the seats is much more difficult to get to, and would have been perfect for the battery, which is rarely accessed.  Also, the wire runs might have been a bit shorter with the battery under the dinette seat. 

In answer to another question, I have not found any need to do suspension mods to my F-150.  It rides like a dream as is, and at 3159 pounds carry capacity, I could add a lot more weight without exceeding the limit.  

Edited by Zirdu, 09 January 2019 - 06:49 PM.

#28 Stokeme

Stokeme

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 09 January 2019 - 09:02 PM

I also have a F-150, 2018 w/8’ bed, heavy duty pkg., ordered thru dealer. I wanted the EcoBoost engine. My FWC Grandby is a Shell with rollover couch, heater, glass stove, side awning. I have Two lithium batteries = 150ah @~45 lbs total, Two 120w flex solar panels w/alum frame mount @~15-20 lbs total. Dometic cfx 50 12v fridge. I’m adding a small galley cabinet w/7gal h2o tank & a rear corner storage cabinet. Lagun Table is mounted on the front wall, w/small opposite seat, to form a mini front dinette when needed. I want extension drawers to access storage underneath the couch. My truck actually rides better w/Camper. Climbing power & mpg is good. Plenty of truck support, so no mods needed. My object was to be & stay light, 12V power only. I want to mount a driver side solar shower & may splurge on the Aussie foldout framed shower tent.
Truck decision is ..... what do you need/want & how to safely carry your own, individual desired, “Adventure”?
My FWC will wear several hats. I need it for RV travel too, hence a Grandby. One negative, I’m not wild about my truck’s turning radius. My truck has the S-Cab, not S-Crew. I could not imagine dealing with the Crew length. I plan on 2 foam mattresses, to enable semi made beds. The heater was a great addition on our Fall foliage trip in the Sierra last year.
Stuff is planned in 2019 but 2020 will be a very involved FWC year. For a 1/2 ton, the HD pkg. definitely adds payload.

Edited by Stokeme, 09 January 2019 - 09:47 PM.

#29 KevinsOffroad

KevinsOffroad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 04:51 AM

The only benefits I perceive of purchasing a 1/2 ton over a 3/4 ton, is ride quality when unloaded (may not be an issue if you run it loaded full-time) and the incremental cost savings.

The 3/4 ton is going to be a FAR more robust chassis, roll bars, steering, etc...which you won't have to spend money/time/resources on upgrading to try and make it work with 1/2 ton springs.  

Lastly, if you do any sort of offroading, the 3/4 ton is going to be SO MUCH more beefy and able to take the abuse...particuarly with a large load on board.

For this reason, I picked up a Cummins 2500, standard cab (turning radius reasons), long bed (larger camper and more storage) to go under my Grandby, with a Dana 60 front axle, and a Dana 70 rear axle.  The last thing I want to deal with, is broken stuff due to overloading and/or offroad usage...as I do some pretty crazy trails.  

Your mileage may vary...

Edited by KevinsOffroad, 10 January 2019 - 04:52 AM.

#30 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 10 January 2019 - 04:27 PM

^ Not disagreeing, just to add a thought ...

I really like what Ford has done with available curb wt for their current gen F150. Quick look at Ford site specs I'm seeing ~1300lb curb wt difference between a base 2018 F150 V8 with high GWVR vs the nearest same config base F250 (checked RCLB and CCSB). All have an AL body.

Agree that difference is mostly "beefiness". And would say that extra beef would be useful for carrying a heavier load like I do, esp for "off highway" (FSRs). Indeed that might be the sweet spot for such a combo, based on my limited experience.

But if a person could stay under GWVR by travelling with much less junk than me, coupled with a suitable, lighter wt base vehicle, I could see the advantage for highway and some of "off road" travel (which I don't really do with this truck but believing that lighter is generally better).

To give a comparison, a couple of posters further back on this thread have a Granby, same as me but with their 1/2 ton and gear set up are prob ~5,000lbs lighter.

Then again if I could go light, I'd slim down for a Ranger/Taco. Then I could back to driving the fun stuff :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users