8 replies to this topic

#1 nco

nco

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 07 January 2019 - 03:34 PM

Hi, new to the forum and to truck camper ownership. I have a 1968 nco that I put in a 1996 Dodge 250 diesel with 100,000 miles on the odometer. I want the camper and truck to last till I kick the bucket! The previous owner carried the camper on a plywood platform in his truck that did not allow the bottom of the camper to have the ability to rapidly dry out. The outside floor is not totally rotten and punky but there are a few suspect areas. I would like to nip any future problems in the bud and apply penetrating epoxy to the outside floor. This stuff is used in the wooden boat industry. Has anyone ever done this to their camper? Could there be any downsides to this? When I don’t use the camper I take it out of the truck. Thanks for any information.

#2 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,105 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 07 January 2019 - 05:23 PM

I have an old Grandby that had an 8" dia. rotted spot where water had penetrated the bottom corner under the door.  I used Minwax Wood Hardener; totally saturated the area from the top.  It has held up for 3 years of heavy use, although the area isn't where it is stepped on much.

My camper sits on 3/4" Foamular in the truck bed that keeps water from getting under the camper (weight of camper creates a good seal).  When i take the camper off in the winter it sits on a cart that supports the whole bottom, so I can walk inside without my weight being supported by the floor.

jim.

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#3 katoosh525

katoosh525

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 01:48 PM

Highly recommend the Smiths CPES that the wooden boat industry is talking about.

One REALLY important bit of advice for campers though. If you are treating plywood that has insulation sandwiched between layers of plywood - you must check what type it is. The solvents will eat expanded polystyrene (the cheap white bubble stuff that they used to make ceiling tiles out of), if your insulation is more modern expanded polyurethane foam (the yellow-ish stuff with the really fine internal structure), it will be fine. The expanded polystyrene insulation is really common in Europe - so do please be careful.

I get it from here https://www.makewood...g-epoxy-sealer/, as I'm in Europe, but in America you will have to get it from the manufacturer: http://www.smithandcompany.org/CPES/.

#4 knoxswift

knoxswift

• Members
  • 219 posts
  • LocationAshburn, Virginia

Posted 09 January 2019 - 08:30 PM

I have had great success in Log Home Restoration with M-Balm:

https://www.permachi...toration/m-balm

#5 nco

nco

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 12 January 2019 - 02:27 PM

I checked out the CPES website and I think the product will fit the bill for the job. I am thinking about taking the lower box corner aluminum trim off and pulling the box siding up about a foot and epoxing that area also and then applying new putty underneath the corner trim. The front part of the floor plywood board that is the bottom of the box protrudes out about an inch out and the siding is stapled to this seems an odd way to construct it. I will take a picture and post it. I have never posted a picture before so it could be a learning curve.

I will get some of the Foamular sheeting to set the camper on. It seems like it will be a water tight seal. It is sitting on a landscaping trailer with 4x4’s under it for support for the winter.

Thanks all for the tips.

Kevin

#6 nco

nco

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 19 January 2019 - 10:46 PM

AFC57D2F-C528-44BF-85BE-793D5CE44C76.jpeg

This is my attempt to add a picture to the post of the front bottom edge of the camper. You can see the leading edge sticking out front of the box. Is this normal?

#7 nixfwc

nixfwc

• Members
  • 174 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 19 January 2019 - 11:17 PM

Yes that is normal. At least has been on my Alaskan’s. It is meant to keep the front of the camper from rubbing on the pick up bed.

#8 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,584 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 19 January 2019 - 11:31 PM

attachicon.gifAFC57D2F-C528-44BF-85BE-793D5CE44C76.jpeg
This is my attempt to add a picture to the post of the front bottom edge of the camper. You can see the leading edge sticking out front of the box. Is this normal?

Most campers have bump stops to keep camper and bed from touching and causing damage. Occasionally, people remove them,

I am haunted by waters

#9 nco

nco

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 27 January 2019 - 12:33 AM

Thanks for letting me know that the lip is normal. Where the siding kicks out on the bottom lip it is stapled to the lip. There are staple holes without staples in them. I will fill them with caulk to keep the water out after I apply the penetrating epoxy. When I put the camper in the truck I put a swim “noodle” in front of the camper for a bump stop.
Thanks for the info again,
Kevin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users