• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Swamp Creature

Swamp Creature

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 09:13 PM

Hey all. Anyone have ideas on how I can remove my camper without corner jacks. I am traveling in Mexico and posting up in Oaxaca for the next few months. Wanting to remove the camper so I can get the truck painted and navigate easier through narrow city streets. We left our corner jacks at home in Colorado to save weight. My current best plan is to buy a few jacks from the auto parts store and have someone fabricate some “stilts” out of scaffolding material or something that would be strong enough. Any other clever ideas or considerations? (Yes I have looked around and nothing like this exists here). Thanks!

#2 knoxswift

knoxswift

• Members
  • 219 posts
  • LocationAshburn, Virginia

Posted 08 January 2019 - 10:09 PM

Quick thought:

Come-a-long at required rated weight.

4 cables to each corner. Outriggers to manage swinging...

Lift out and then drive away and then lower to ground...

Mounting point of come-a-long, really big tree or other overhead available mount?

Getting it back in without help would be the problem it will swing around a bit...

#3 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,950 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 08 January 2019 - 10:52 PM

Here is what came to mind... 4 bottle jacks and 4 jack stands.

Brace the bottle jacks with some planking underneath and on top to spread the loads, jack up a bit, raise jack stands as high as possible in case bottle jack fails or shifts, repeat until camper is free of the truck and standing securely on the jack stands... or lower to the ground if desired.

#4 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 11:02 PM

IF you have factory jack plates mounted on your truck:

On level ground, drive your truck up onto four equally sized 6 X 6 timbers lying flat.....lock parking brake.

Screw several 3/8 inch by 1 1/2 inch lag screws thru jack plates into one 4 X 4 vertical wood post at each jack plate.

Loosen turnbuckles, etc.

Jack each post up a little ,,,,maybe three inches and block...using what ever lever...one at a time.

Ease truck off the timbers.

Lots of luck...just go slow and be careful.

#5 todgru

todgru

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationMaupin, OR

Posted 08 January 2019 - 11:23 PM

Inspired by DavidGraves answer:

Drive the truck up on 4 or 5 2x6's lying flat. All Four wheels.

attach fixed length steel posts to the corner brackets all the way down to the ground.

remove turnbuckles

Using tall bottle jacks, raise truck from the rear and front axles. bottle jack/floor jack on from the ground, up to the axle. Yes, then will need to be tall.

Raise up enough to remove one of the 2x6's

reset jacks,

repeat until the truck can be pulled out.

The camper will be sitting really high.

Just an idea! Don't do this!

Tod.

#6 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 08 January 2019 - 11:28 PM

IF you have factory jack plates mounted on your truck:

On level ground,

<snip>.....lock parking brake.

Screw several 3/8 inch by 1 1/2 inch lag screws thru jack plates into one 4 X 4 vertical wood post at each jack plate.

Loosen turnbuckles, etc.

<snip>....

To borrow this idea. perhaps could inflate the tires to max first. then assemble supports as above. then lower tire air pressure and drive out from under. Then you reinforce support by placing something under exposed camper bottom.

of course borrowing a forklift might work. no idea if that is possible. or for that matter if the camper at present overhangs the rear (to jack up or sling from above), how much the camper overhangs the truck sides (to jack), if there is enough clearance between the camper and truck box to tilt the camper sideways (to jack and block between camper and truck bed), if you want to relocate the camper after removing (somewhere to store, maybe a facility that could also help remove (paint shop, with lift ?)).

in short not much info given. I'm just thinking about these guys trying to help...

Edited by klahanie, 08 January 2019 - 11:55 PM.

#7 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 01:05 AM

Oh

I WAS gonna say loosen turnbuckles and drive up a trail while looking at your nav system......

but hard to reload that way.

David Graves

#8 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 09 January 2019 - 01:48 AM

^ I see what you did there ^_^

#9 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 09 January 2019 - 02:47 AM

Contact a crane company should be reasonable. We pay about 120-150 to lift equipment on roofs.

Russ

Spelling

Edited by CougarCouple, 10 January 2019 - 02:58 AM.

F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#10 XJINTX

XJINTX

• Members
  • 552 posts
  • LocationEddy, TX

Posted 09 January 2019 - 01:13 PM

Just remember once off you have to get back on. Maybe post on other sites like ExpeditionPortal.com? I know you are pretty far south but "Possibly" someone is headed your way and has their Jacks installed that you could borrow? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users