#31 Yubaman

Yubaman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationColfax, CA

Posted 13 January 2019 - 02:20 PM

I have 2 100W Global Solar flat panels on my Phoenix aluminum roof, 3 years old.  Am very happy with them.  The surface is quite durable through many of the rough bushy/treed back roads I've been on.  No sign of lifting off.  Some scratches but I can't find any measurable impact on amps generated.  Only downside seems to be that the edges are peeling up a bit, allowing water to seep into the plastic border area.  I've layed down some aluminum tape to help seal that, but no damage yet to the silicon generating areas.  The wires and junctions are fine too.  Vast majority of days are in the Western US sun, I'm sure the panels get very hot, but plenty of power for my needs.

Until now these panels were not available retail (that I could find), only thru dealers/manufacturers.

Thanks for the input, can you post a pic?

2014 Tacoma, 2012 Eagle

#32 lostcreek

lostcreek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 10:35 PM

looking from the front    Attached File  roof top.jpg   65.84K   71 downloads

#33 oldhotrod

oldhotrod

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

Posted 22 January 2019 - 05:17 AM

I am very interested in these panels. Do you notice heat soaking through the roof under the panels? Mine will see a lot of use during warm months in the southwest and it is a concern...otherwise, looks good...

#34 Yubaman

Yubaman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationColfax, CA

Posted 22 January 2019 - 02:10 PM

I am very interested in these panels. Do you notice heat soaking through the roof under the panels? Mine will see a lot of use during warm months in the southwest and it is a concern...otherwise, looks good...

They are intended for direct roof-top installation. Lostcreek above is the only feedback yet on the heat issue and he appears to like them. 

2014 Tacoma, 2012 Eagle

#35 Yubaman

Yubaman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationColfax, CA

Posted 22 January 2019 - 02:12 PM

BTW I had 6 inches of snow on them two nights ago and the roof is so easy to clean without all of the racking..

2014 Tacoma, 2012 Eagle

#36 EM4

EM4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, originally Vancouver BC

Posted 22 January 2019 - 06:36 PM

I have to agree with Rusty on the heat issue and hope it works out for you this summer. I am looking into raising the flex panel I am thinking of installing from Renogy.

https://www.amazon.c...t/dp/B01LWASUU1

#37 lostcreek

lostcreek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 11:28 PM

oldhotrod - There may be extra heat thru the roof but it would seem to be small compared to heat from other sources.  Floating panels (flat or glass) would be more efficient at disbursing heat, but flat-adhered ones evade branches and other obstacles better.  It might be possible to mount the Global Solars floating, using non-continuous 3M VHB tape along the edges, plus a thin board down the length to make a small bow for water runoff. 

#38 rustytinbender

rustytinbender

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationSE Wisconsin

Posted 29 January 2019 - 03:40 AM

For those of you considering flexible panels here is a link to how i installed mine last winter to leave an airspace underneath.

http://www.wanderthe...le-panel-mount/

#39 rustytinbender

rustytinbender

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationSE Wisconsin

Posted 29 January 2019 - 03:50 AM

This is how I installed my 160 watt ridged panel in 2016 after my two 100 watt flex panels that were directly mounted failed the first summer.  No holes in the roof to mount either and so far they are holding up fine.  Most of my solar ideas came from reading everything I could on WTW so I am just getting these out there for those who are searching for ideas.

post-5677-0-09068200-1489243307_thumb.jp I mounted my 160 watt panel without penetrating the roof. I used channel brackets and added an angle clip to the other side of the channel on the bottom to create more surface area in contact with the roof. 5 brackets on each side - made sure they were above the support ribs. I used an epoxy for the 4 corner brackets. On the 6 inside brackets I used a small piece of 3m tape surrounded by clear silicone caulk. The tape only needs to hold until the caulk sets up. It is rock solid and has held up fine for over 10,000 miles traveling the country last two years.

#40 Yubaman

Yubaman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationColfax, CA

Posted 29 January 2019 - 03:00 PM

This is how I installed my 160 watt ridged panel in 2016 after my two 100 watt flex panels that were directly mounted failed the first summer.  No holes in the roof to mount either and so far they are holding up fine.  Most of my solar ideas came from reading everything I could on WTW so I am just getting these out there for those who are searching for ideas.

post-5677-0-09068200-1489243307_thumb.jp I mounted my 160 watt panel without penetrating the roof. I used channel brackets and added an angle clip to the other side of the channel on the bottom to create more surface area in contact with the roof. 5 brackets on each side - made sure they were above the support ribs. I used an epoxy for the 4 corner brackets. On the 6 inside brackets I used a small piece of 3m tape surrounded by clear silicone caulk. The tape only needs to hold until the caulk sets up. It is rock solid and has held up fine for over 10,000 miles traveling the country last two years.

Did you find out why the flex panels failed?

2014 Tacoma, 2012 Eagle

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: flexible solar panels, solar, solar panels

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users