Photo
- - - - -

Best ways to support the FWC off the truck?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PJorgen

PJorgen

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • LocationNorthern Nevada

Posted 10 January 2019 - 06:49 PM

I've never taken my FWC off my truck, but looks like I might need to do that in the near future.  I'll probably want to access the camper while it's off so I realize I need to support the base.  I'm trying to figure the best way to do this and have reviewed a number of posts on the topic.  Not sure what to do so am looking for suggestions.

I have some constraints on my situation, primarily that I have to be able to carry the support structure with me to the somewhat remote location where I will be removing the camper.  That eliminates bulky solutions like a stack of pallets or cinder blocks.  I was thinking of a pair of folding saw horses from Home Depot, they will support up 750lbs/pair, which seems reasonable as the jacks will continue to support some weight as well.  But, most are about 30" high which seems too tall for easy access.  

Any ideas for a collapsible lightweight support structure?   

2014 Hawk, Silver Spur exterior on a 2012 GMC 2500HD 4x4.

#2 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 10 January 2019 - 07:16 PM

This thread may provide some insight. Look at the image in post #11 for a diagram. 

To sleep in the cab over when supported by the plywood structures, there may be a need for an additional support for the cabover to prevent tipping forward.

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#3 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 11 January 2019 - 03:31 AM

A sheet of plywood and floor jack? Or anything handy where you will be.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#4 BILL98388

BILL98388

• Members
  • 135 posts
  • LocationWestern Washington

Posted 11 January 2019 - 06:28 AM

I use the sawhorse solution but I do like PaulT's suggestion about using cut plywood...you could put the plywood in the truck bed and put the camper on top of it to transport to your remote location.

Bill

Bill

2014 Grandby on 2015 4x4 Tundra (8-ft bed)

Steilacoom, WA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users