• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ArtTrek

ArtTrek

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 01:25 AM

So, we have ordered a 7' cabover and need some advice about one possible addition.  We have two, light weight FolBot Aleut kayaks.  We were not planning to take them with us with the Alaskan, but we do go places where we could use them.  They weight 36 lbs. each, so with gear in them, we're looking at 100lbs. total.

Do you have any experience with the Alaskan factory installed brackets and do you have and comments?

I really appreciate your wisdom.

Thanks!

ArtTrek

Ashland, OR

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,576 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 11 January 2019 - 03:14 AM

ArtTrek, if those are the brackets/clips for rain gutter type towers and bars, they work nicely on other installations. I have used them on pickup canopies and utility trailers. The secret is to have good backing and sealant. I suspect they will be fine on an Alaskan. If you ask Bryan or Rick, I think you’ll get honest answers on their experience.

All that said, I prefer track style racks.

I am haunted by waters

#3 popRoid

popRoid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:35 AM

ArtTrek,  is Bryan at Alaskan installing solar panels and an AC ?  I took delivery of a 10' Alaskan cabover in May 2018 and had them install the traditional boat racks because the AC and solar panels basically take up all the real estate up there and tracks would have been pretty much impossible to use.  One other factor with boat racks is... in my case with a Coleman Polar Cub the shroud of the AC is slightly higher than the boat rack so you would have to work around that with a load up there.  All in all IF I didn't have an AC and 2 solar panels on top I would opt for Yakima tracks.   100 lbs of gear on top won't be a problem....I think Bryan told me up to 150 lbs would be ok.  Are you doing a rear entry door or side entry using a flat bed ?  All the best on your build....The folks at Alaskan are the best in the business in my opinion.    

2018 10' Alaskan Cabover/2017 Ford  F350 Dually Diesel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users